Register now to get rid of these ads!

Daily Driver Update: Hard Knocks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Had the gen stop charging on the Falcon couple weeks ago. Learned that I had better stock up on normal wear items (brushes). Part of the cost of daily driving that which hasn't been built in 50 years.

Belts is normal wear items :)

Cosmo

P.S. My usual backup plan is a Triumph 955i Tiger (M/C). It is February, and I live near Chicago - guess how well THAT B/U plan worked??

2. catdad49

catdad49

Be careful Ryan, you gotta darn smart girl right there!! I think she's a keeper. Carp

3. HA! Awesome.

4. Those Texas cross-winds are no joke. Driving across Texas in the '35, with the windows up. Hit a gust coming from the driver's side, strong enough to blow THROUGH the car (remember, the windows are up) and pop the passenger side vent window open!

5. autobilly

autobilly

You sold the '39...:eek:

6. autobilly

autobilly

One thing that you could take from all this "disaster", maybe you should drive the A more.

7. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I'll trade you for a super reliable 94 Mazda.

8. Better add a battery tender to go with that new battery in the Model A, since we don't want to see you stranded ever again!:D

9. truckjim

truckjim

And pop the hood on the riv once in a while! Fresh paint and it throws the belts? Shame! :mad:

Driving my first car home in '67 had a gust move me from #1 to #2 on other side of the road into traffic. Real eye opener.:eek:

Gotta love the ladies. They keep us in check.....:)

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

My latemodels cause me more grief plus they are more expensive to repair.

11. 18n57

18n57

Marcie is gold man; she could be bustin' your balls for having anything to do with old cars. She could be screamin' for a new Mercedes.
    Course, if my '34 gives me trouble comin' to the Round-up, I'll be singing the blues............

12. I have seen that look from my wife just hang your head down and yes dear is all you want to say.

13. And pop the hood on the riv once in a while! Fresh paint and it throws the belts? Shame! :mad:

Must be some pretty severe overspray? lol

as my ol' man says , I feel for ya ,,,, cant seem to reach ya but I feel for ya , :) hope it all improves boss :) you don't even want to know what I get for responces from the wifey but shes a keeper too

14. mgbtc

mgbtc

Toady is the anniversary of my wife and me going on our first date. When we started dating, I drove a 1965 Pontiac that we had until last year. We have had literally hundreds of cars of all types, but always enjoyed driving the old fun ones the best. Granted, there is some sense of security in driving newer vehicles but as others have mentioned, when they leave you, you do not fix them your self. Thirty seven years later, we still drive old cars, even tonight, and we still enjoy them. Sounds like you have a good woman, hang on to her and your old iron.

15. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I'm just wondering when and what the next car is going to be after the Riv.

16. See how badly we can all lose sight of reality ?.... The boss is bitching about both his hotrods letting him down , while this other poor schmuck is stuck driving his wife's freakin HONDA ! ... I know who I'm feeling sorry for ! :eek:

JK !

17. flamingokid

flamingokid

My sentiments,exactly!

18. TexasDart

TexasDart

Went around Austin on Monday on TX130 tollroad at about 85mph...the wind was gusting at about 50mph...two semi-trucks were on there sides. One was nice enough to land in the ditch the other one was completely across the 2 lanes of traffic.
    But TX130 sure is nice to get around Austin on.

19. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

Yeah, uhm, sorry (-ish) about your woes, Ryan. OK, not really... The earlier posts seem to have captured the mood in the room better than I can. Be sure your trunk has a couple sizes each of phillips & flat screw drivers, a 1/2" and 9/16" wrench and a tire iron. You'll correct the majority of your highway matters with these... ;-)

Did I read "Throwing 3 belts at the same time"? As someone whose daily is a '62 Bonneville and our NEW car (piloted by Mrs Engine-Ear) is an '82 Jeep Wagoneer (has 4 belts), I am really curious HOW that happened, but that's fodder for another TJJ entry, I guess.

20. If you had your pantyhose on (or in your trunk), you wouldn't have been stranded, ya big girl. :)

21. eddie_zapien

eddie_zapien

The wife of a car guy is a bizarre creature. They wont admit they love the cars you own untill you start bitchin about "this old car thing"
    Its one of the reasons I love my wife so much