Register now to get rid of these ads!

DUDE...Ive got a HEMI

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shtterbug8, Nov 27, 2012.

1. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Dude, you seem to know it all, I made my own custom adapters to mount WP without welding block. Some lifters oil holes don't line up. my blown Hemi 12,000 miles, run it real hard to Louisville in the hotest weather at 180deg.
    you are on your own.

Ago

2. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

past 2 days at work ive been modifying the timing chain cover during my breaks. got it done today. looks great. will post pictures later. wife has the camera at work so i cant take pictures right now.

on spark plug tubes. what is the proper way to measure your head valve cover length? apparently there is 3 different lengths?:confused:

3. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

finally...here is a picture of the timing cover. been a hectic couple days. wife has got the flu and it was left at her work.

[​IMG]

4. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

You could of shortened the whole length of your motor by 4" if you would of used the SBC water pump and adapter.

5. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

or, just pulling this out of my ass here, we just watch him build the damn engine. keep on thinking outside the box! it gets us places

6. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

NEW NEW NEW update on the how much list....

hemi $700
    supercharger $350
    harmonic balancer from 340 $25
    timing chain cover $22
    cans of lube $20
    new oil filter adapter $18
    intake flanges $64
    valve covers $120
    new rod bearings $82
    new piston rings 97$
    harmonic balancer key $15
    bbc adapter for water pump. $55
    crank pulley sep. $5
    belt tensioner $5
    good used pistons and rods $125
    new hydrualic lifters $55
    new TBS pop off valve $45
    $30 worth in paint and paint stripper. for valve covers
    main bearings from EGGE.com $125
    new bbc water pump $47
    spark plug tube seals new $32
    motor mounts $38
    full felpro gasket set $168
    EDELBROCK 7032 DUAL QUAD TOP $45
    billet aluminum alternator bracket. $47

total...$$$$$2335 so far

thats all for now....

<!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  7. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

bought this edelbrock 7032 top for a tunnel ram and modifying it into a adapter for the supercharger. it will bolt onto the top of the supercharger instread of a tunnel ram intake.

will be a few weeks before i can do anything to the hemi. all my stuff is locked away in a enclosed trailer while my concrete floor is being poured in my garage. then i gotta organize everything to my liking. im just happy to finally be able to walk on a concrete floor in my garage. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

here are some picture of the hemi in a mockup stage again. i installed wheels on the engine stand. the engine rolls around so easy. cant believe it. i love my new concrete floor. looking forward to get a crap load more done in the next couple months.

i placed the 7032 top on the supercharger in a location i think is good. im going to now make templates of what i need to make and start modifying the 7032 so that it will BOLT up to the supercharger.

was able to locate a good usable 750 double pumper today for 40bux. removed from running car. now ive gotta find one more to match.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

10. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

made some templates for the suprcharger adapter. will be welding it up tomorrow. post some pictures tomorrow for all to see. very excited to see how everything turns out....

missing around with the supercharger got me thinking about the boost deal and breakage of rods or pistons because of possible overboosting the engine.

so ive been trying to caculate how much boost im actually going to make and i just cant figure it out.

the 5.4liter engines are 329.53 cubic inches when converted. since ive got a 354 cubic inch engine that should help some since my hemi is 24.5 cubic inches bigger.

the other thing i believe will help is im installing a tbs pop off valve. im hoping that if it starts to produce more than 8 pounds of boost the valve will open so that the pressure is released before something breaks.

my hemi is going to have stock internals. and the supercharger is going to produce i believe 12 pounds of boost. i think someone posted once already that stock rods only hold up to 8pounds of boost?????

what is your thoughts?

11. pdq67

pdq67

Didn't read the complete thread, but guy's say to dip it in a great big tub filled with cattle molasses and water for an about 7 to 1 water/molasses ratio.

Let her set for several weeks and keep checking her for rust conversion removal.

pdq67

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. 73RR

73RR

my 2¢, you are in trouble........

14. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

my 2¢, you are in trouble........

+ 1
    I think his whole build is in trouble, and he doesn't seem to want to listen to anybody that has Hemi experience.

Ago

15. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

sir you are wrong. i do listen and i do appricate everyones opinion. in the end though i make the choice on how to build MY project. if i blow it up then everyone will get a good show! i will make a video of this hemi first startup.

but for those who ARE interested in the build i will continue posting away and make people think out of the norm.

[​IMG]

this is the adaptor i created today. coming along pretty good. im very pleased with it. with the void between the distributor and supercharger i will be making a filler piece to make the supercharger appear longer that what it really is.

16. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you overdriving the supercharger at the same ratio as it was on the GM car that it came from? It's a simple matter to slow the supercharger down so that you don't generate so much boost and risk scattering hemi internals all the way to the Walter P. Chrysler museum.

17. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

Is this going to have a fake/non functioning carb?

18. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

Dude keep up the good work! And make sure you video the start up!!! Stock up on fire extinguishers tho?

19. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

right now i believe im overdriving it. stock ford lightning trucks have a 7.5 inch crank pulley. the pulley currently on my hemi is 7inch. the supercharger pulley is 3inch. the biggest they produced stock i believe. dont know how everything figures up but....im thinking about trying to find a smaller crank pulley. maybe like a 5inch. that way its a 3-1 ratio on the pulleys.

20. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

no. fully functional double pumpers.

will be running zoomies. pointing slightly upwards. im hoping when i give it throttle it throws flames out of the exhuast.

21. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

i found this neat little chart on my supercharger and stock ford trucks.

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 250pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" class=MsoNormalTable border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=333><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 1pt; WIDTH: 250pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1pt; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-TOP: 1pt" vAlign=bottom width=333 colSpan=5 noWrap>
    PULLEY SIZE VS. BOOST
    </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 1pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 1pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap>
    SC Pulley
    </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 1pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 1pt" vAlign=bottom colSpan=2 noWrap>
    7.5" Crank (stock)
    </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 1pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 1pt" vAlign=bottom colSpan=2 noWrap>
    9.0 Crank
    </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.5pt"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 2.25pt double; BORDER-LEFT: 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 1pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1pt; HEIGHT: 13.5pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 1pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap>
    </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 2.25pt double; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 1pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1pt; HEIGHT: 13.5pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-TOP: 1pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap>
    Boost
    </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 2.25pt double; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 1pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1pt; HEIGHT: 13.5pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 1pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap>
    Ratio
    </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 2.25pt double; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 1pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1pt; HEIGHT: 13.5pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-TOP: 1pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap>
    Boost
    </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 2.25pt double; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 1pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1pt; HEIGHT: 13.5pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 1pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap>
    Ratio
    </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 13.5pt"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 1pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1pt; HEIGHT: 13.5pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 1pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap>
    3.50"
    </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 1pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1pt; HEIGHT: 13.5pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 1pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap>
    </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 1pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1pt; HEIGHT: 13.5pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 1pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap>
    </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 1pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1pt; BACKGROUND: rgb(102,102,102); HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 1pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap>
    3.25"
    </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 1pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1pt; BACKGROUND: rgb(102,102,102); HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 1pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap>
    </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 1pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1pt; BACKGROUND: rgb(102,102,102); HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 1pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap>
    </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 1pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 1pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap>
    3.00"
    </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 1pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 1pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap>
    </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 1pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 1pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap>
    </TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; PADDING-LEFT: 1pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 1pt; BACKGROUND: rgb(102,102,102); HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 1pt" vAlign=bottom noWrap>
    2.75"
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Boost measurements are made at 6000rpm.
    Compressor RPM = (Crank pulley/SC pulley)*Engine RPM

if im reading it right.....if i ran a 6inch crank pulley i should be running 5psi or pounds of boost.

22. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

the previous reply was a chart from whipple industries. i would trust their measurements are correct.

i made a chart to find the right size pulley. correct me if im wrong.

[​IMG]

23. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Time to subscribe. This is gonna be fun!

24. Supernasty

Supernasty

Sorry to say but with the upper part of a ram on top of that supercharger the looks are, well lets just say.......................
    I think your going in the wrong direction with that.

25. I'm lookin' at that rare stick shift bell housing, thats a good find!!

26. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

Im no expert, but it seems that supercharger speed can be calculated, but there are too many variables to consider when figuring boost. Boost is really a great measure of resistance. Resistance=cam=cylinder heads=exhuast=cid.

Dont forget to pay attention to valve springs as there will be greater pressure on the back of that valve trying to force it open.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  27. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

That chart would only mean anything if they were based off your engine.

28. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, a difference in cubic inches changes everything. Your engine is about 25 cubic inches larger than the Ford Lightning that the supercharger came from, so your boos is going to be less than the chart shows.

29. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek:Another "Mad Scientist"at work.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

30. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

As does camshaft, port design, exhuast port design, exhuast etc