Register now to get rid of these ads!

65' C10 transmission question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by theylive, Mar 4, 2013.

1. theylive

theylive

Finally got my truck back on the road after quite a bit of down time and maintenance. Drove her all over town the past two days and she ran like a champ, like a brand new truck! great big smile ... Came to stop, put her in first (3 on the tree) and heard a loud, tat tat tat tat tat, pushed the clutch in and the tat tat tat stopped. let off the clutch... tat tat tat tat. I may take it to the transmission shop tomorrow. Anyone ever dealt with this or have any ideas on what could be wrong?

2. theylive

theylive

Anybody out there got any ideas?

3. The truck still moves but you have an odd noise? It sounds like something under the bellhousing, maybe the throw out bearing or a bent finger on the clutch plate.

How old is the clutch, were any parts replaced? They're really not that hard to change since the bellhousing stays mounted to the chassis and the clutch drops out from the bottom.

The diagnosis may be a bit tough to do yourself and any transmission shop will be looking for a decent pay day out of the deal. Got any HAMBers close by?

Bob

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  4. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

What he said ..... Not to big of a job

5. If the tranny crapped out, I would advise useing a slightly newer unit. Unless I am wrong, they still put the early trans in that truck. '66 was the year they went to an all synchro transmission.

6. BobMcD

BobMcD

I ran into something like this years ago and it wasn't the transmission or clutch. The harmonic balancer was rubbing on the timing cover and when you pushed in the clutch the noise went away The balancers rubber had deteriorated and the outer ring had slipped. It was on a inline chevy 6.

7. Does the truck move in first gear?

8. Throwout bearing?

9. theylive

theylive

Thanks for the responses guys. Apparently the transmission shop said it needed a new input cluster and a tooth broke on one of the gears. I'm waiting on a price cause they're trying to round up parts. They quoted me six hours labor, plus parts? I'm starting to get a bit frustrated because I asked the guy for a ballpark figure, if it is exactly what they think it is and he copped an attitude and acted annoyed with me just for asking questions... Service aint the way it used to be. I do have a budget, i'm thinking they're gonna throw a minimum of $800 bucks to get this fixed. What does a new transmission run these days? If it gets up there I may just have it towed back to my house and fix it myself.

10. Cerberus

Cerberus

In the SF Bay Area on CL their is a C10 Truck Dismantler who would probably sell you a 3 speed manual for $200.00. I've seen them sell for a lot less by private parties. First though, I would have dropped the tranny, looked at the throw out bearing ( have had many wear out), checked the pressure plate and throw out bearing arm. If all good then inspect the tranny. I did have a '55 Chevy two door post that had some broken teeth on a tranny gear. I knew right away what the noise was. It was my fault for banging the gears too aggressively.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  11. oldolds

oldolds

As said above, get an all syncro trans. It is much stronger than the one you have. You will need to shorten the drive shaft, get correct yoke, and mess with the shifter a bit. I used to break one of those old trans evey weekend untill I did the upgrade. ( first truck and 17)