Register now to get rid of these ads!

ford 3.03 with t-150 shifter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by few loose bolts, Mar 6, 2013.

1. few loose bolts

few loose bolts
    from US

Can anybody out there give me a walk through of what I need to do to install the jeep t-150 tower shifter to the ford 3.03 trans? From what I've read, it's straight forward and simple, but I've yet to see a write-up on how to actually do it. Obviously the old linkage and shifting mechanism needs to be removed, but are there any other modifications needed? Any help is greatly appreciated, and pictures are greatly encouraged. Cheers!

2. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

I think it's just bolt and unbolt, but don't quote me! However, I think you'll need to remove the original shift levers from the 3.03, there wouldn't be any room for the Jeep shift levers. 3.03. one of my favs, indestructable!! How's the weather in the U.S.?? Mike.

3. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

you will have to remove the original side selector set up and plug the holes on the side and front and rear of the case ,make sure your trans main case is 9 and a quarter inches long , there is a case thats 9 and 3 quarters that wont work ,,theres no grinding needed ,,which i think has to be done on the 4 speed jeep shift conversion ,,i am almost done on a 3 speed 3.03 to model A closed drive set up ,,,

4. few loose bolts

few loose bolts
    from US

Mike, the weather has been pretty spiffy here in Cali. RoddyB34, thanks for the instructions, very much appreciated.

5. jeremy5wilburn

jeremy5wilburn

I'm not trying to raise the dead here but..... I'm rebuilding my grandpas 1969 f-100 that he bought brand new, handed down to my dad, and now me. I am wanting to put the t-150 shifter on top of my heg-z 3.03 tranny. I'm measuring the main case at 9 5/8". Will this work? an why/why not?

6. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

You can try ,the selector spacing at neutral will show
    you might be in trouble with the selector spacing ,and the cover bolt pattern ,,you'll have to measure to check ,,I found a few of these longer cases in oz that were tagged as RAT ,,mine is tagged RAN ,,mines done and works great,,

7. deucemac

deucemac

The later trucks and vans used larger shift collars so the T-150 shift forks will not fit over the collar. I believe the entire synco assembly is larger and won't interchangeable. It may be possible to slightly machine the groove deeper but I can't say for sure. I had an OLD Ford Trans guy tell me this while shopping for a 3.03 to use in my roadster. I never pursued the idea when I got an earlier passenger car trans.