Register now to get rid of these ads!

French Flathead in New Zealand- do enough of you want them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by So-Cal Speed Sacramento, Nov 12, 2012.

1. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

I am currently working with a few customers in New Zealand about getting blocks shipped to them and it finally occurred to me that we ship a TON of blocks and other parts down to Kiwi-land.
    It has finally occurred to me that if I can get enough people together that need blocks, I can save all of you a small fortune on shipping. We will be working with Mac's Speed to handle the distribution of them once they get there- but I am trying to ship as many as possible at once.

So, how many New Zealanders are interested in the brand new French Flathead Blocks? I am just trying to see if there is enough interested to justify the research.

[​IMG]

2. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I just sat here and stared at that picture for a few moments. So beautiful in a mechanical appreciation way. I keep thinking about pulling the sbf out of my 27 and sticking one of those FrogFlatties in there. Thanks for the picture....

3. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

Ship them all to Texas. Problem solved. :D

4. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

when i opened this thread i thought that photo was the nicest center fold i ever saw , what a fine looking engine block , wish i had some money

5. Grabel

Grabel

That is a very pretty picture indeed!

I think there might be an old bass player in Enzed who would love one of those.......!

6. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just got our French motor in the coupe running and took it for a few miles today . 276 etc only weird thing in assembly was the exhaust bolts going into the water jackets, what were they thinking. Runs great ,it didn't even stop to mate with any Citroens on the way either.

7. tinmann

tinmann

So..... at the risk of taking this thread further sideways..... what is the price of a French block? I just bought what was being called a magnafluxed and tested block. The rust pits on rear deck area have me a little suspicious.........

8. I bought a French block and main caps when they first came out w/Halibrand, then built it for my 40 Ford coupe and 5-speed, building it with all American goodies. It's been in my coupe and on the road for 10 years and other than finding an NOS US flathead block, you can't find a nicer block anywhere. It does have a few quirks but nothing that can't and has been already resolved and, unfortunately, is not accepted by some/all of the racing sanctioning bodies. Put all of that aside, and you have probably the best flattie block Henry never built.

I found one here a couple years ago, another block and main caps, and bought it at a great price. They do pop up from time to time. To me, the $2500 asking here in the US for a block and main caps is well worth it. I don't know what your cost would be but you know it will be a great block for any flathead build .....

9. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

:rolleyes: if you only knew how many unmachined blocks were being stored in texas ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thank goodness for that! can you imagine?!

We sell Stage I and Stage II blocks. All of the blocks we sell are tested, checked for sleeves, fully machined, painted and ready for assembly. The blocks come standard with hardened seats and are relieved around the intake and exhaust valves. Also, all of the mounts, numbers, and bosses on the back of the block for the governer's and such are removed, so the block will look like a standard 1938-1948 block.
    The Stage II blocks are ported and polished in the intake and exhaust. These blocks are opened way up to get the most out of aftermarket intakes, exhaust, etc.
    We sell the Stage I blocks for $2650 and Stage II for $3650. Of course, we are an Alliance Vendor- so maybe it's a good time to sign up!

10. 55olds88

55olds88

I'm sure I can help with shipping out of Oakland too.... I may even have one of these on the water already I know its a Flattie block (guess he couldn't face the horse power of an Olds....) :eek:)

11. Hey! Less of the old ...... :p
    I would, but I just fully rebuilt my engine.....

12. Scumdog

Scumdog

True Murphys Law.

Buy/build something and a better one comes along, dang!

13. KK500

KK500

Can do the same deals for Australia, get back to the folks with a p.m. to SoCal Speed Sacramento and do a DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.socalsac.com/

Ph 0011-1-877-467-3871 and speak to Joe (or Rob, Tom, Melissa, Raphael)

These would come in to Oz thru Port of Melbourne.

You can also buy an AWESOME Indy Gas Cap thru them;)

Jim Grant (ex-Melbourne)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  14. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Didn't they first start in Texas, seems like I remember a little debacle in College station a few years back.

15. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For those Aussies in Qld Im regularly shipping bikes to Brisbane and could hook you up with my guys if you wanted if Melb doesnt work for you.

16. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Correction , after pressure checking at home for 30 mins. And no leaks , yahoo.
    After a 30 mile run 7 or 8 ARP head studs began to leak despite all being sealed with a quality sealant. Some seem a little loose in the block??

17. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn it! What do I do now? Stick with my 30thou over 401 Nailhead or sell it and go for the motor I always wanted.
    Anyone in Oz interested in a 401?

Doc.

18. 37coupeute

37coupeute

Any going to OZ?...Im in.

19. Rckt98

Rckt98

Can i suggest you post this on the NZ Hot Rod magazine forum as well. Maybe a few there that aren't HAMBers.
    Good luck
    Russell

20. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

We've shipped a lot to Oz, but I am still looking for some place that would be willing to carry them and keep them on hand.

21. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

I just got off the phone with Graeme and he said he is more than willing forward blocks to Australia if anyone is in need of one. You can contact Graeme via his website:
    http://www.macsspeed.com - while you're there, check out some of the parts he has for sale!
    -Rob

22. Are the 3- 3/4 cranks still $200.00 and the rod sets $175.00 ????

23. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

College Station, Texas??

24. ventilo

ventilo

if someone needs French flatheads over here in Europe please drop me a note.
    we might get another batch of low-mileage 4" stroke engines next next year from France (pics in my profile).

25. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

Well, we had to raise the price of the crankshafts to $325.00, but now they have been dipped to get all of the cosmoline out the journals and all of the bearing surfaces are fully polished.
    The rod sets are still $175 though!

Actually, this shot is here in Sac. :D

26. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still having issues with our french flathead in the ARP head studs leaking.. Had it under pressure 12lb for 30 mins. And zero leaks. But do a run and several lower ones began to leak. Seal them up with quality thread sealeant but some still leak after a heat cycle. They almost seem loose in the block. Has anyone else had this issue??
    Other wise car pulls very strong and runs extremely well.

27. soupt

soupt

Is there any way to have a proffesional weld the relief, so it could be used with Ardun heads? Thanks.

28. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

This is a new one for me. What sort of sealant are you using on the studs?
    We have had the best luck with Permatex Aviation sealant. I have also found that if you just dip the studs in (rather than brush it on) it gets in all the cracks and works great. It's a bit messier, but it works and that's what really counts. Then it is just a question of tightening the studs in the right order at 5 lb. increments and retightening once it has heated up.

This is something we have looking into for a customer, but we ended up getting him an NOS block. If it is something you are interested in, shoot me an email at [email protected]

29. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Think we have got it sorted now used loctite thread sealant and have done 700 Mls so far and all looks great. It pulls real strong and sounds very crisp . Jappas pull up beside in a 4 lane and we just smile and look in the mirror. Doesn't get any better.

30. chico'72

chico'72
    from Belgium

Leave something for us, poor europeans!!;)
    Nobody interessted in a real citroën engine??:D
    Chico