Register now to get rid of these ads!

4 link question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loosenutNH, Mar 5, 2013.

1. loosenutNH

loosenutNH

I'm setting up the 4 link,,,frame is level, rear end in place exact and everything square, rear air bags set at ride height. In reviewing past posts on 4 links, I understand the lower bars need to be set up level/parallel with the ground (no problem). For the top links, do they need to be perfectly level as well or can they be at a slight angle? opinions?

Also, what would be the optimum angle (horizontally) to place the upper bars? What about shock angle as well? I want to get this right the first time.

2. JakeDW

JakeDW
    from Missouri

Top need to angle down you want the bars to intersect paths at the front bumper to get instant center if they are at upward angle the pinion angle will change as the rear goes up and down.

This info is for a triangulated 4 link.

Jake

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  3. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

Check out the articles here, this seems to be a real good summary.

http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/suspension.html

From what I have read, for a street application you want your bars fairly parallel to one another and fairly parallel to the ground when at ride height.

4. Retrorod

Retrorod

I have a "four-bar" under my '35 sedan, the bars are parallel to the pavement, the Shock-waves I'm using are angled about 30 degrees and I have a U-Weld It rear sway bar. The car stops, goes (hooks up great) and handles like a well refined sporty-car.

5. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

IF the top bars are shorter operating radius (as most triangulated 4-links), you want them down in the front. Project the lines of upper and lower bars out to the front of the car. They should intersect somewhere between the driver's seat and the front bumper. Higher HP = farther back. If just a cruiser, don't over think it. If it's a drag car, ditch the air bags and use an adjustable 4-link.

6. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

7. loosenutNH

loosenutNH

Ned, thank you so much for that link. The explanation and sketch tied it all together. I will not overthink it as its a cruiser (350 ci around 300 hp). My triangulated 4 link should work well with the proper planning.

Thanks all!