Register now to get rid of these ads!

flatbeaver newbie

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by flatbeaver, Mar 3, 2013.

1. flatbeaver

flatbeaver
    from montana

Hello from flatbeaver in flathead montana
    after some redirecting form the kind folk here I finally found where to do an Intro. Im a retired electrician with nothing else to do but play with my cars.
    just finished a 55 chevy mild custom pickup for my wife and am currently restoring my 38 packard eight club coupe and starting on a packard powered hot rod. found a 1954 packard chassis with a 327 five main thunderbolt straight eight and ultramatic tranny sitting atop a stack of cars ready for the crusher at a local recking yard. waiting for the machine shop to finish boring and new valve seats so I can start reassembling it. I just finished the tranny rebuild last night. after I get the motor back together and the tranny bolted back on will start building the car around them. intending on using a 37 ford pickup cab with the top removed and most of the 37's suspension with a hand built chassis.
    will post some pictures as soon as I figure out how to do that? Anyway hello to all:D

2. Flatbeaver, thank you for the proper introduction. Welcome from Kansas City and you have some great projects! Remember, we always enjoy photos too! <hint>

3. flatbeaver

flatbeaver
    from montana

finally figured out how to make albums... uploaded three..will do more in time

4. Lucky667

Lucky667
    from TX

Hello & Welcome. I want to build a roadster with a Packard I8 also. Keep us posted on your progress. Will you do me a favor and measure your Packard engine ? I'd like to know how long it is from the trans mounting surface to the front of the front pulley. Thanks & Good Luck.

5. barslazyr

barslazyr

Welcome from Central Montana

6. flatbeaver

flatbeaver
    from montana

lucky667
    will be glad to but will have to wait till I get the motor back from the machine shop. Know that the crank and cam are about 36 inches but will get you the exact measurements when I get all the parts back.

7. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

WELCOME! Very cool projects your building there but no top in Montana now that's hard core! Good stuff!

8. flatbeaver

flatbeaver
    from montana

Well here is a somewhat guess with out having the block back..based on the length of the pan,waterpump, flywheel cover and ultramatic trans its about 6 feet from the front of the water pump to the tranny mount with about a foot more of tail shaft after that. will get you an exact measurement if you want when I get it all together.
    flatbeaver

9. Lucky667

Lucky667
    from TX

I only need the length of the complete engine. Measure from the back of block to front of damper pulley. Thanks

10. bk53

bk53
    from Rowlett Tx

Welcome from Texas!