Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fuel tank/pump questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crawlerdan, Mar 5, 2013.

1. crawlerdan

crawlerdan
    from montana

im installing a newer ford motor in my 49 dodge, i have the dodge tank, as well as the ford tank/pump,sending unit, wires, etc.

the ford pump assembly is far to large to fit in the dodge tank, any recommendations on hoe to make the situation work? im not against a new tank that will be compatible with the ford parts, but dont know where to buy such a thing

2. Why do you want the Ford sending unit in the Dodge tank? You still using the stock Dodge gauge? Use the Dodge sending unit.

3. crawlerdan

crawlerdan
    from montana

i will be using some type of autometer gauge, and the ford pump is in tank

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You can buy an aftermarket replacement pump that fits outside the tank, on the frame or under the floor.

Or you could modify the tank.

5. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Is your Ford motor fuel injected? If it is, you will need the Ford tank and sender.

6. crawlerdan

crawlerdan
    from montana

yes it is, its an engine out of a 95 town car-i have the pump and sender, but they are huge, i need a smaller one or need to modify it somehow

7. Mount the Ford pump onto the dodge sender.
    Maybe a suitable replacement pump of equal values will be needed.
    This should be easy

8. Vergil

Vergil

High pressure pumps like being in the gas tank (they run cooler and are quieter) but they can be mounted outside the tank. They do not like pulling the gas from the tank and depending on the location they can have a short life from the suction load. How I mounted one of mine was a regular fuel filter between the gas tank and a regular low pressure electric fuel pump (they don't mind the pulling), then from the regular pump to the high pressure pump and then a high pressure good quality fuel filter. You will also need a return fuel line back to the gas tank from your fuel regulator. The low pressure pump and filter must be able to pump and filter more gas than you can burn in your engine so the high pressure pump doesn't have to suck the gas. This is just one way it can be done.

Vergil

9. crawlerdan

crawlerdan
    from montana

thanks vergil, i have family in tehachapi, my cousin owns a yard maintenance business there. anyway, im going to try and shorten the ford unit to live in the dodge tank

10. Vergil

Vergil

That should work, used a "Tanks" fuel pump in my '30 pickup and had to lengthen it, not much is simple anymore. If you ever visit your cuz give me a heads up and will buy you a cup of coffee ...

Vergil

11. crawlerdan

crawlerdan
    from montana

thanks a bunch man, will post results next week

12. crawlerdan

crawlerdan
    from montana

i shortened the ford pump and welded the ford tank ring into the mopar tank, i will ad a VDO dender later :D its slow building, but its been in the family since 48- so theres time :D

13. Vergil

Vergil

Thanks for the update, appreciated ...