Register now to get rid of these ads!

Head nut covers....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockabillybassman, Sep 20, 2005.

1. I just bought some chrome head nut covers, the push-on kind. Some of them are a good firm fit, some are a bit loose. What can I use to hold them on firm?

2. Muttley

Muttley

A little dab of silicone.

3. cadlights

cadlights
    from Hooper, Ut

I used polyurethane. Fill the cover about 3/4 full and install. Holds them on but they will come off easily if you need to remove them.

4. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I've always GENTLY squeezed them with pliers, then tap them on with a plastic mallet. Works great! Just put a rag around them first so they don't scratch, and don't go hulk hogan on them when you squeeze!

I have a small screwdriver I bent the tip at a 90* so I can pop them off.

5. av8jon

av8jon

I did mine the same way, just a little pinch will do ya!

6. Alfster

Alfster

Did you buy them locally and were they available as singles? I want some for the head bolts on the GMC and don't want to buy a full set and not need them.

7. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

8. Yeah, I got mine from Nightprowlers. Whole range of sizes, which is cool.

I went and siliconed them on before I read your posts about squeezing. Oh well, see what happens.:p

9. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

I put a dime size piece of duct tape on one flat. Takes up the slack and removes easily.

10. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Way back when - before silicone - we would use a piece of a paper match, and hold it one of the flats while pushing the cover over the bolt/nut. Once it was started, gently tap the cover in place.

If it had to be removed, then the "hooked" screw driver trick worked just fine.