Register now to get rid of these ads!

'51 Pontiac .. from OHIO

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Luke4554, Jul 27, 2012.

1. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Here is a little inspiration for you! That is a beautiful car! Cannot wait to see it in person![​IMG]

2. Luke4554

Luke4554

Yeah I was just talking to him about his wheels and caps.. that thing is super clean

3. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

4. hogrider208

hogrider208
    from idaho

my project

Attached Files:

5. MIA

MIA
    from OHIO

Your work really looks great...if you have any interest i have for sale the original battery tray and hold down for your car

6. 3340

Welcome Neighbor, I Have Always Like Those Pontiacs.

7. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

I'm in Columbus, OH working on a '50 pontiac. If any of you other fellas have any unneeded '50 2dr sedan trim or fender skirts I could use them. Thanks.

8. Luke4554

Luke4554

Nice .. hoping i can bag this car in the next year pontentially. We will have to see how the funds stack up because i want to build a tow pig 1-ton truck soon too potentially.. ;)

Thanks, i was actually the one who pm'd you a few weeks ago about it. At this point im trying to do things as budget friendly as i can .. needing a hold down for the moment i just built one out of scrap i had, in the future i will more than likely swap everything for factory clean looking parts.

Thanks buddy :)

Cool, i know a few guys that had some parts .. one of which on here is "jhutch713". I would check with him on the chrome trim.. let him know i sent you his way .. got my front door glass from him.

As far as skirts are concerned they arent cheap anywhere you look.. i will probably make my own this spring because im a tight wad, and i dont like that the OE parts come up about 1 1/2" short of the bottom of the quarter .. but this company sells originals for most years.

http://fenderskirtdepot.com/Pontiac/

They definately arent giving them away though.. :rolleyes:

Luke

9. Luke4554

Luke4554

Stayed up late last night and got some stuff done..

Got my vent glass in the mail and installed from ..

http://www.autocityclassic.com/index...=353&Itemid=41

.. special thanks to "THE CHIEF" for the heads up! They shipped them promptly and the fit is great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its hard to even tell its there .. ! :eek:

Also got my signal flasher installed.. TungSol P229D .. this thing was hard to find and not cheap! But i was pumped to find that it was the faulty piece and now everything is good to go. NOS packaging is awesome :cool:

[​IMG]

Also i realized i hadnt shown a picture of the finished battery hold down. Painted it with a rubberized undercoating and put my felt pads under it. Doesnt look too bad and now that its black you hardly even notice it.

[​IMG]

Lastly i got the fittings i needed to hook up the rest of the LPR and gauge.. as well as got the fuel pump mounted to the frame and all the wiring done except the final Ign ACC hook up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should be easy to adjust from the front of the car under the hood and be easy to read! Crossing my fingers i can get everything tuned up and around the block this weekend!

Luke

10. castleman1111

castleman1111

lookin forward to it!!!!!!!:D

11. n847

n847

Looks like a familiar set up!
    [​IMG]

12. Luke4554

Luke4554

Nice!

13. adamsrotors

adamsrotors

thanks for the love

14. gearhead78

gearhead78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Dallas TX

Great build... just went through the whole thing.

15. Luke4554

Luke4554

Thank you! Im itching to get behind the wheel for the first time.. :D

16. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

[​IMG]Just found this picture.

17. Luke4554

Luke4554

Well tried to get it running again with everything hooked up and found my carb wasnt sealing off fuel to the input even at 3 lbs of fuel pressure and flooding out my intake manifold. So i took my carb over to get rebuilt from a guy in north dayton. Decided to go with a custom carb set up made of parts consisting of a B and BC model Rochester. The base flange opening on the Pontiac BC carb is much larger in diameter probably like 1/4" so we're using the base from my old carb combined with upper parts from the B model carb. The nice thing about this is i can move to a mechanical choke like i wanted to without having to get the automatic choke dialed in. Dont get me wrong i know when they are set correctly they are great .. but for ease of doing business the manual choke will work just fine for me.

Also removed the generator and took it and the rebuilt voltage regulator i bought to Dayton Quality Starter to get looked at while the carb was in surgery. Ended up needing a new armature on the generator. Got a call today it was all done (24 hr turn around even with ordering the armature).. Not bad. $190 for everything ready to go. Little more than i wanted to spend between the two but if they're good to go then whatever.. its a small price to pay to keep me from being stranded somewhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Chris's Carb Shop" in north dayton is doing the work. Paying $170 for the rebuild, Rochester B carb core and will end up having two functioning carbs when im all said and done. Not a terrible price for the work and the know how .. all in all im satisfied and will be happy to have someone who has been working on them for decades helping me out.

Here are some pictures of the inside of his shop.. (carbs much!) .. :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because the carb and generator have been out of the shop ive been tinkering with little things to get them wrapped up. Started with some vinyl dress up pieces.

Hydromatic selector lettering..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wouldnt be MY custom .. without a "pee-beer" headliner..

[​IMG]

My Fischer sill plates were garbage .. so i made some of my own. Aluminun flat stock .. w/ counter sunk screws holes and my homebrew 3m pad "brushed stainless" finish. Got both sides done for $15 .. not hatefull.

[​IMG]

.. close up .. (the squiggles are carpet lint)

[​IMG]

Finally i was able to get the passenger side trim on as well..

[​IMG]

Also after ordering a test set of (5) of the '57 Nomad clips i found .. they actually worked great for the shark fin trim. So anyone looking for them take note .. cause theyre impossible to find anywhere else apparently! ;)

[​IMG]

Now shes just sitting there .. :( .. waiting for her new carburetor and generator to be installed. Hopefully i can breathe some life into her again soon! Getting down to the wire now .. bachelor party is this weekend so ill be out of commission until next week and weekend.

Time is getting thin!! But im soo close i can taste it!

Luke :)

18. n847

n847

You should be proud of the car you've built in the time frame. Its more and more impressive every time I see it! Chris does some good work I might have him do my holley but not until I try it myself...Ive seen way too many hillbillys who rebuilt them with no problem to think I cant do it myself! Keep it up...and just think after the wedding it'll be nothin but cruisin in your future! Oh and watch out for rufies at your bachelor party!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

19. Luke4554

Luke4554

Ha! funny you say that .. my friend always jokes with girls at the bar and says " You didnt rufie my drink did you ?" they usually say "No!?" and he always replies "Its ok if you did, ive been crushing them up in my drinks myself and hoping for the best for the past 5 years and im building up an immunity anyways.."

Its always comical and usually a pretty good indication if shes stuck up or has a sense of humor. Hes a wacky dude but somehow it works for him.. Its definately never a dull moment with him around.

Ill keep that in mind though! ;)

20. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Nice work! It looks really good with the trim...

21. old injun

old injun

car is lookin good........hopefully were on the down saide of the bad weather.......hope to get workin on my 39s real soon.......got the missing door coming from pa this weekend

22. FrankyV8

FrankyV8
    from Holland

Wow that's just looking really good with all the trim, every picture is see the color is still a big favourite for me!

23. Luke4554

Luke4554

Thanks guys .. im pretty excited to get it running.

Picked up the rebuilt carburetor and generator today. Both places called yesterday and said they were done within 24 hours of dropping them off. I was pretty excited today picking them up. Both companies did a great job cleaning them and getting me all fixed up.

We got a shit ton of snow last night .. go figure .. so even if i get it put together and somehow running tonight i wont be driving it.. :rolleyes: Oh well .. if i can get it running smoothly then ill be happy!

Luke

Luke

24. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

glad it worked out for you

25. Luke4554

Luke4554

Picked up the carburetors and the generator from their respective shops this morning amongst all of the snow and ice on my way into work. Got home and started putting it all together. Also picked up a manual choke cable from advanced so i could get it all set up.

Generator all refurbished and freshly painted..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the Rochester hybrid carb i had Chris assemble with 50's chevy "B" parts and my original '51 pontiac "BC" parts. End result turned out great and will be a much cleaner looking unit. Eliminating the auto choke keeps me from having to run one of those hodge podge electric or manual chokes off of the auto diaphram and utilize factory GM parts, while still getting the increased throttle bore and jet size from the Pontiac setup. From the naked eye it appears to be a "B" model carb .. basically it is .. with just a few minor differences. Works for me maybe not for you .. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally got my choke cable all set..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After i got everything hooked up and my plugs back on and hooked up i was standing there wishing i had an extra set of hands to help me get it going. Finally said screw it and hooked the funnel with a fuel line to the carb and fired it up.. hooray it still runs.. looks like carb was my main issue. Now i just need to get my timing all set and i can get everything tuned up on it.

Going to change the oil in the next couple days too .. just in case. Doesnt smell like gas but im sure theres some in there now from flooding it a bit. Id rather not take the chance.

Today was productive and eased my mind a bit. Not having it running last weekend was bothering me but getting it running tonight was a load off.

Luke :cool:

26. dmikulec

dmikulec

Looking good. :cool: Can't wait to hear that you've been out on the road with her.

Mine was delivered this past Saturday. Still can't believe how solid and original this one is...

[​IMG]

27. Luke4554

Luke4554

Got the car running Tuesday, finally.. Got the engine timed, and the carb tuned as best i could. Found out the majority of my flooding problems were from me excessivly choking the carb when it didnt need it and i was flooding the shit out of it. After i realized what i was doing i cleaned the plugs.. dried out the intake.. changed the oil and tried it without choke and it fired up and ran. :rolleyes: I guess you live and learn. Ran the trans through the gears on the jack stands and got the idle set while in drive and everything seemed ok sitting in the air. Last thing i decided to do was get the drums turned. When the car was in drive they were making some nasty sounds when i would press the brake down to stop the axle from spinning. I ordered new shoes too but im not sure ill have time to put them on before the wedding. Hopefully my drums are done today or tomorrow and i can put them on and run it around the block this weekend. If all goes well im going to try and put some miles on it this weekend so i can get a shake down on potential issues and hopefully correct them before next week. Getting married next Saturday so next Thursday is the last and final day. If it works it works .. if not im riding in a stretch navigator .. :rolleyes: .. crossing my fingers i catch a break and have no issues.

If i get a chance to take it out around the block ill shoot some pictures or a vid. :)

Wish me luck.

Luke

28. n847

n847

Good luck man you're almost there! Not sure what I can offer but if you need help this weekend shoot me a PM!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

29. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Very enjoyable read. Good luck with the test drive, I know you're excited.

30. dmikulec

dmikulec

Good luck, hoping you get to drive the Pontiac next weekend!