Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by homemadehotrod, Feb 5, 2013.

1. 19-c

19-c

I think that is a very fair price and you should be able to sell a few at those prices. I'm sure the more you do the smoother it will go for you also. I am still amazed how far you came with the frames in a week.

2. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

i took the advice of a couple of guys and welded a 3/8 plate where the mounting holes are so the guys can drill and tap the holes where they want them. i forgot to take pictures of that. sorry

3. moparmuscle1

moparmuscle1

4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Just checking. I dont remember seeing it either on the thread. Nice work.

5. 19-c

19-c

I think thats a great feature. Allows some flexability with body mounts.

6. moparmuscle1

moparmuscle1

Its on the thread somewhere , he has been questioned on everything , over and over .

7. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

alchemy is the one that suggested doing the 3//8 plate. page 8 if you are interested. like i said i just forgot to take a picture of it

8. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

well i did it. its in the classifieds. well see what happens i guess. i guess if it dont work, it dont work. just out a little of my time

9. 19-c

19-c

Congratulations! I hope you are able to sell a few and have some fun doing it!

10. moparmuscle1

moparmuscle1

You need to have a little faith and give it some time to get around . After a few sell and word gets around , they will move . Dont forget that show wallyringo talked about , that could open up a new world for you . Just bring the one frame ( unless you can take more ) and take orders . Do up some cards to give out , make a big sign with the price to drag people over .

11. kracker36

kracker36

I may have missed it, but did you get any idea of shipping charges?

12. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

i did not yet. cant remember who said it but they figured 3-600 depending on distance and carrier i would imagine

13. kracker36

kracker36

I have shipped bodies and complete engines through AAA Cooper. You may want to see if they have a terminal or sister company hear you. They have always had better rates than anyone I have tried.

14. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

ok. for a reference. from Minnesota to Mississippi average shipping is $450

15. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FWIW, I shipped a 41 Willys frame, front end, and steering column from Southern California to Dubuque, IA for $400.00. I also shipped an entire 34 Chevy Truck frame from IA to SoCal for roughly the same price. I used a moving company. They were easy to deal with and were headed that way anyway. Just some food for thought.

By the way, frame looks good. Hopefully I can see you at St. Paul this year.

16. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

yes. ST Paul for sure.

17. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

here is a stupid question. are the body dimensions on a 30-31 "A" close to or the same as a 32. can i get by with just pinching the front of the frame and if i had to narrow the rear dimension or do i have to redo the whole contour of the frame

18. 19-c

19-c

They are close but not the same. When I say that I mean body width in different areas. Also the rear kick up is different (look at a model A frame it is stright in the rear no kickup.) typically the body subrails of the Model A are re-worked to accomodate the 32 frame. If you do a search there are some very informative threads talking about Model A on 32 frames. Maybe someone else can answer this better, but you almost need an A body in your shop to look at and see how it fits the frame.

19. Rem

Rem

Maybe there's a market in making the rails to suit a Model A without too much modification to the body? The '32 rails are often bobbed at the rear as the (original) A tank is in the cowl, so you could maybe flattern them out and tweak them to work without cutting the body (other than the trunk floor). There are potentially a lot more customers out there with Model A bodies than '32 bodies!

20. alchemy

alchemy

Have you put a 32 body on it yet? Don't get too excited until you actually fit a body to your frame. I'd hate for you to have made a dozen frames and then get reports back that the body doesn't fit. A quarter inch makes a world of difference under there.

21. rockyfarmer

rockyfarmer

^^^^^ What alchemy & Rem said! 32 guys are going to want 100% correct and there isnt that many henry 32s out there. 32 rails that fit the curvature of the A body is where you could possibly sell LOTS of frames. There are several threads on here with guys doing that and Moose had a real good one. Many pie cuts are made to the 32 rail for pinching front & rear. The tops are flatened and/or a mini cowl chop preformed to get the A body to sit down on the rails. And the curve changed to follow the A body. The result is a damn good lookin A on 32 rails. The rail ends cut off and rear cross member for a transverse spring set up with somehow allowing for different amounts of kickup incorporated in your design. Maybe you could find an A body near you to measure or use. If you could design an A frame with 32 rails doing all of this---They will sell well(especially if in the 1250 price range with a nice X member center).

22. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

i will check into it for sure. yhanks

23. rockyfarmer

rockyfarmer

ya wont have to worry about building the perfect clone..........

but you will have created --or damn near---
    the perfect BASTARD SON !!!!

24. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

25. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Your 1932 Ford frame will have the REVEL? Bill aka Tnomoldw:)

26. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

27. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:):cool:That's about 1/2 the work, yes? Bill aka Tnomoldw

28. homemadehotrod

homemadehotrod

pretty close. feels like more though. i know it is time consuming.

29. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

forgive me if i am wrong but are you missing the body mounting holes and nut sertz.just a observation but nices work.

30. 19-c

19-c

He placed 3/8" plate under the top of the frame rail. They can be drilled and tapped anywhere you need them. nice feature!