Register now to get rid of these ads!

neat little alternators

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jambottle, Mar 4, 2013.

1. jambottle

jambottle

picked these up at webster swap meet on the weekend.they take v belt and could be hidden easily.i was told they are from a kubota fork lift?.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  2. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Where and how much? Any details on output?

3. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Based in the size of the unit, the unit's lack of cooling provisions, and the size of the wire coming out of the unit; sustained output ability is low.

4. llonning

llonning

Looks like some I have seen on Deere's. Suprisingly the output is higher than you would think. Output is determined by how fast you turn them.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks to be a lawn tractor alternator according to this ebay add 360452148174
    It could work ok on something like a little modified roadster that didn't have any accessories on it.

6. todd1955

todd1955
    from sweet home

They used to sell them as racing alternators nothing more than a magneto seems like they worked pretty well as far as I can remember

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

Most permanent magnet Kubota alternators are 20 amps or less.

8. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

....... well, sort of. And, output is limited by how well the unit can cool itself.

I agree with sunbeam, it looks like a permanent magnet unit. That means a non-standard regulator. Be aware that some of those regulators don't regulate well enough for some electronic devices.

9. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

10. These are neat little compact units,[14 amps output]-I bet they wont actually cut it for a car's useage....
    I had a motorcycle once that had an alternator producing 19 Amps.
    It worked fine on the factory bike,but when a set of aftermarket running lamps were added it woud not keep up.
    at night with all the lights on it would not charge the battery adequately.
    And that is a much smaller/lower cold crank capacity battery than what a car runs.....

11. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I agree, even if the unit could tolerate being run continuously at full output, 14 amps isn't enough to run the engine and lights at night, and charge the battery.

12. cayager

cayager

id have to agree with most. wont have enough juice to run much. had one on my 3 cyl kabota in a welding machine. just meant to charge the battery

13. llonning

llonning

Did a little research. Deere has a 35 amp system just like this. Part # AM220339, problem is cost. That little gem is $340.00. Then there is the regulator for it part # MIA881692, again the cost, $268.00.

That is a little expensive for my taste, but should work fine if you are not going to have a ton of electronics.

14. kiwi55

kiwi55

They use similar alternators on experimental aircraft. Deere sells them at a very high markup, there are other suppliers (kubota I think) that sells the same item for about half the price.