Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 F-1 winter project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Wishbone, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Does anyone know if someone makes a factory like wiring harness that isn't 600 bucks? Seems a bit high to me, maybe not though since I have never bought a wiring harness.

JW

2. IWB

IWB

Try comet on the whitewalls that's what the tire guy told me to clean mine with he said anything else would cause them to turn yellow. I like the low buck way cool build.

3. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

I never thought of trying Comet, thanks! I like the low buck build too, but it would be helpful to have the cash when i need it.... Rebuilt the carburetor tonight, made the front cab mounts, and made a rats nest in my welder:( My buddy Greg came over Sunday and we worked on the welder and had it working good, I haven't been able to weld for shit lately, but can weld fine on everyone else's machine. I guess I still have the feed a bit tight. Maybe I get my patches welded in tomorrow?

4. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Made some progress, got the inside of the roof sanded, welded the holed from the cab lights, finished welding patches in the bottom, and painted the bottom, inside of the roof and most of the floor. Also mounted the cab, got the drive shaft in and ran it to see if the transmission works. Now it's time to finish the inside of the cab and mount the steering column and box.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

I scored a cool steering wheel and a 10 dollar heater at a local swap meet, I'm thinking the wheel is 54 Crestline, anyone know for sure? I looks like it will fit my column so now I have options. I also scored a clean gas tank, medium crappy running boards, a good radiator, front hood chrome, heater vents and some throttle linkage today for 165 bucks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Made a new bench today, still need to make some feet so it doesn't dig into the floor, run the wire and hook up some extra outlets, and make a back splash. I have limited space and this corner is sort of useless, so it seemed like a good spot for a bench. Now I have somewhere to work on the smaller F1 parts and to do some welding.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. RUSTALOT

RUSTALOT
    from GA.

Sounds like you had a great day at the swap meet, nice job on the bench.

8. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

I did! I have the heater core painted, the color looks a little funny in the picture for some reason.....

[​IMG]

New 12 volt 2 speed blower motor for the heater

[​IMG]

Neat little trick I found, the motors from these old fans (I bought 3 of them and they came with 2 extra motors) fit perfect in place of the original 6 volt motors.

[​IMG]

9. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Okay, time for an update. Been busy and too lazy to do this too, but I want to keep going on it so I have good documentation of the build when it's finally done. I picked up a usable seat, just had to clean and lube up the seat tracks.

[​IMG]

I decided to use the 54 car wheel even after all the work I did on the truck wheel, the car wheel is just way cooler looking and it has a horn ring.

[​IMG]

I also painted the dash, wired and mounted the heater box, made shift linkage, and mounted and hooked up the Stuart Warner gauges (old ones)

[​IMG]

My buddy Dave made some patches for my transmission cover and I welded them in, made a mounting bracket for the new gas pedal, made a gasket for the floor pan and mounted the pedal assembly. In the middle somewhere, I tried to chop the end of my finger off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got the gas tank in, fuel lines, transmission lines, radiator and hosed, heater hoses, air filter, all the linkages, battery tray, wired the alternator, ignition and start button and mounted the wheels and tire and put the caps on just to see how it looked.

[​IMG]

I took it for a short drive today, had to get a run at it to get up the driveway since it has zero traction. Runs like poo, need to inspect the points and carburetor. It did drive pretty good, steering and brakes work really well so now it's time for more body parts. Here is an ugly preview of what I'm working with.

This is the good fender.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is the other fender

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Luckily I have an old guy up the street who is a very good metal man. I will do what my current skill level permits, then turn it over to him.

JW

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  10. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Thanks fellas. Now I need to do a few things to the Roadster but then it's right back on the truck. Hoping to drive it for real by fall.

JW

11. fleet-master

fleet-master

freakin cool build! The dash and new steering wheel look sweeet. Love the heater too..but the peas de-resi ..peese de resista...piece de...the best bit is the SEAT!! Very nice

12. mustangmike6996

mustangmike6996
    from the D

nice work! Im ready to tear into mine!

13. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Hey thanks man! I really like your track T. Seems like I need to fly you over here to beat on my crappy fenders! I have one of them beat on a little, I have a friend who is a real good panel banger so I think I'm going to hand it over to him before I screw it up....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Tear it up! (and post pics)

15. jfrolka

jfrolka

Comet powder bleach and a piece of scotchbrite is the best way to clean whites.

Rebel makes a harness for just under $200 but it is 12 volt. Its a nice harness. I have one and a few other buddys but one and like them too. The wire is even marked with headlight/fuel gauge etc.

Cool build. F1's are awesome little pickups

16. fleet-master

fleet-master

Hey Johnny I could do with a workin holiday too!! :D:D

17. Nice progress!
    FWIW I used to used Kitchen brillo pads to clean whitewalls, seemed to work pretty good. ( I don't even know if they still make them)

18. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

Nice job keepin after it. i need the motivation to do the same!

19. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Hey thanks man! I am going to try that Comet/bleach/scotchbrite trick. I got them sort of an off white using Bleach-white and a scotchbrite pad, but I didn't think of using Comet.

20. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

I bought a dash wiring harness for my truck instead of making my own since I'm not an expert at wiring I figured it would take me forever to make and I would need to buy more wire, wire ends, shrink wrap etc. and this one from Mac's was $230 bucks which didn't seem too bad if it was decent. It is a really nice piece, and it covers pretty much everything in the cab and under the hood it has wiring for the generator, voltage regulator, starter solenoid, oil and temp sensors, horn relay, and the wires that go to the block for the headlights. All the other wires you need can be bought separately and plug into the main harness for anywhere from 7 to 25 dollars depending on what harness you need. Just thought if others were wondering if these were any good, I would do a little consumer report thing here. Stay tuned for how it fits, so far looks good.

[​IMG]

The harness has color coded wires and an easy to read diagram of where they go, all the correct size and new sockets for all the lights. I might drive this thing yet.

21. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Ok, so I have been slacking a bit lately, working on the Roadster and making a mess of the garage, but here's what I have so far. The other fender before Pug beat on it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

And here they are after.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

I beat the dents out of the upper valance, shot some paint on the surfaces that will be bolted together, and started putting some sheet metal on. It's starting to look like a truck!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Lookin good man! I'm looking forward to seeing it on the road!

25. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Thanks man! I check in on your truck once in a while to see if it got any paint yet... I'm doing the same thing you did on the roof, spread it on, sand it off, repeat. I hate it and I'm no good at it but lack the funds to pay someone. I haven't been working on the F1 much lately, its Roadster weather so I've been driving and working on it.

26. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Man that's a sweet truck .

27. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Any updates?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Sorry, I haven't been working on the truck this summer, my stupid Roadster has been giving me the finger and since I have a one car garage.... But I'm sick of working on the Roadster and it's getting cold anyway so I should be back on it soon. Also, thanks Eddie!