Register now to get rid of these ads!

Miller welder question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dagochopper, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Dagochopper

Dagochopper
    from Dago

I have a Miller 140 autoset. I plan on putting in a Gambino lowering kit on my 53 chevy. Will I get the penetration I need for the work with my welder?

2. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

I'm assuming it's a 110v machine... I know the frame rails are pretty thin on that car but I don't know what the kit uses for thickness...however... if you have to ask..chances are you should not attempt it... you really need a 220v, min 180 amp machine... (at least for MIG anyway)...

3. Dagochopper

Dagochopper
    from Dago

Kit uses 3/16 which is the max for the welder. I was just wondering if anyone ever done it before.

4. AkBillyBow

AkBillyBow
    from Alaska

I am in the same boat that you are. I decided to upgrade to a 220 volt machine, just to be safe. I spoke to a couple of welders where I work (professional welders) and they told me you can get good penetration on the 3/16" material with the 120 volt welders, if you are good and know what you are doing.

Since I am a hobbyist welder, I decided my skill are questionable with the 120 volt machine. That is why I decided a 220 would be better for me. I am confident that I will not have any issues with the 220 machine.

So, I think if you are skilled enough, you will have no problem. Since you are asking the question (which I did also), I would suggest that you would be better suited with a 220 volt welder, or hiring someone more skilled to weld it.

AkBillyBow

5. Dagochopper

Dagochopper
    from Dago

thanks for the info!

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

This comes up occasionally and some people swear they can get good penetration with a 110 machine on thicker steel, but it would scare me. A 220 volter just has so much more amperage to really do the job.

With either machine please make sure the two pieces are ground absolutely clean and shiiny. I am always amazed when I see some pictures someone posts of welding they have done and you can see they did it right over rust, or if they did clean it they did a quick job. Good welds require spotless substrates to really get good penetration with no contamination, so please spend some extra time with a grinder to get down to clean metal.

That is my soapbox for the day. :D

Don

7. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

I built several drag cars and I agree with don

8. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Although I am a very accoumplished welder, I used a Millermatic 120 for all of my work, I used it for my frame work, I installed a sub frame on my convertible, and got plenty of penetration with the 120. I would say you could also do the job with yours without updating to a 220 volt unit

9. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I've done a lot of chassis work with a Miller 135, 110v machine. Practice, prep and make sure you grind a bevel on joints to make the most of the welder...

[​IMG]