Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can you ID these brakes???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by abakerman, Mar 4, 2013.

1. abakerman

abakerman

Ok, I want (as step one in getting this bucket back on the road is)to upgrade to front disc brakes. But I have no idea what brakes / spindles are on there now. I am pretty sure they are Ford since they are a 5 x 5.5 pattern. And most all the other parts off this thing are from a 1972 F-100. On the back plate it is stamped 48477 and BendIX. Do I even need to know since really all I need is a plate that will bolt to the spindles?? any thoughts/ ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

They look like F-1 to me.

3. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

I cant get the pics to enlarge but I think the backing plate is 39 to 48 ford. I see the accentric adj nuts on both sides I can check my parts manual for you tomorrow.

4. abakerman

abakerman

Thanks, also anybody know of a good, resonably priced, conversion kit?

5. alchemy

alchemy

Not 39-48 Ford, not F-1, not F-100 up to '56. Must be something later than that. Are you sure it's not a 5x5 inch?

6. abakerman

abakerman

Yep, they are 5x 5 1/2 for sure. The f100 was a 1972...might be that?

7. abakerman

abakerman

Hubs don't appear to be redrilled. Front axle is some rough looking I beam drop axle. Man I apperciate all the guesses and ideas!! Taking over some other guys project, that was probably six other guys projects isn't easy, but I'll get this thing straightened out eventually

8. abakerman

abakerman

ha, well springs and shocks are "homemade"...

Attached Files:

9. My guess is 42-47 Ford pickup. That is what the drums/hubs look like to me.

10. flopalotofit

flopalotofit

Cant be from the seventys, no slack adjusters at the bottom...Im going with early ford truck..google those numbers

11. abakerman

abakerman

12. alchemy

alchemy

Wartime Jeep/Willys had a 5.5 inch bolt pattern. Maybe later too?

13. abakerman

abakerman

So now the million dollar question...which converstion kit do I get? Do I just pick one and know I might have to redrill the mounting plate. Does anyone know of one with a 5x5.5 pattern. Looks like most are 5x4.5??

14. alchemy

alchemy

Sure, just get a kit for a '32 Henway, and maybe redrill the holes a little.

Really, you need to know what spindles you have before you can order anything. And I'd bet you will be money ahead if you buy old Ford style stuff and lose this unknown front end.