Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1937 to 1942 Willys Picture Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Willys, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Hot Rod Willys,
    Car is still out of the Omaha area, and blue in color, sporting a '38 front end. The pictured vehicle has a '39 glass nose, which was one of a couple made for Jack Merkel's ,39 coupe.
    A friend of mine still has the '39 nose. I am not sure if the current car has the same body as the one pictured, but you are right, the car is still out there.
    g-willys

2. g-willys hows Hoppie?give me a call

3. pyschotic r........
    Unable to find your number...pm me with a number I can reach you at. Just drove by your old hangar this morning on the way to Creative Metalworks.
    Hoppie is doing fine, his wife continues to battle MS, and it is slowly taking its toll. He does have his '41 pickup done... jet black and a very nice truck...nose high and looking like it belongs at the track. Hope all is well with you...want to hear about your move!
    g-willys

4. Memph

Memph
    from Washington

5. c57heaven

c57heaven

Wow, what a photo. Something almost everybody here dreams about seeing when they open a door to a prospective lead.

6. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

^^^ Ahh, a survivor! Great to see old race cars still sitting and not pro street! Love the stance, magnesium wheels, chrome straight axle and rool bar. Any chance we can see more.............PLEASE!

7. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes please. More of this car.

8. Memph

Memph
    from Washington

Sadly that's pretty much all I have BUT I believe the owner of the shop is a member here so hopefully he stumbles across the thread and can add something for you guys.

9. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

Here area few pics from the Meltdown Drags

Attached Files:

10. 440 deluxe

440 deluxe

"Sonny Munn offered me a thousand once" "Sure would like to see it run again"

11. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

Merril Frost Willys

Attached Files:

12. The best way to fill in that big hole in the hood and the extra gas will come in handy it should be a fun summer DSC04993.JPG

DSC05002.JPG

13. 6.jpg one of my recovery/ restoration projects

7.jpg

27.JPG

DSC08196.jpg

DSC08218.jpg

14. Meltkamp

Meltkamp

that orange and blue one in the shop is the gm auto sales willys. Ive had the privilege of seeing that car up close and personal

here she is back in the day (before the blue paint)
    [​IMG]

15. This a very true statement. I wish I could see that opening the my garage door.

16. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Thats super cool, any plans for restoring it? I love it when a survivor is found as raced condition. Its sad how many of these old gassers were blinged out in the 80's. During the 90's to current times we see the value in saving them as they were....:)

17. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

heres a pic of my old truck at the gasser championships denver 1994, injected olds, vitar hydro. this was on a t shirt i got.

Attached Files:

18. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

Costa and Stewart where it sat for 35 years after its last race in '69 ImageUploadedByTJJ1362794123.689115.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

19. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

Dave; Your thread is still going strong !! good job buddy !! Trouble

20. 3day

3day
    from UK

21. Wow what a piece of gasser history it will be interesting to see what and if it sells for. With some of the pimped out street rods/ pro street cars out there that are selling in the $100,000.00 range I wonder what an icon like this will fetch? I think that it's a shame that so many historic X gassers that have morph into the slammed down got to be all steel huge wagon wheels with 2 inch tires suicied /gull wing doors 3 inch high hood that open like a grand piano leaving a bath tub looking hole to hide the engine. I once thought it would be impossible to ruin the classic look of the Willys coupe but with enough money and goofy ideas its been done. If it wasn't for the light weight high horsepower 1/4 mile warriors of the 60s the Willys coupe would not be the highly sought after car that it is today. Glass vs. steel does it really matter? How many Glass cars are on the road vs. the number of Willys coupes that came down the production line? How many steel cars are still around? It seems the new trend is to make the car all steel as most of the original race cars dumped as much weight as possible by replacing fenders hoods trunks ect. Now a lot of the surviving sedans have been stripped for the steel parts leaving many hulks that will never see the road again. Well if your like me and you love the classic design of the Willys coupe glass steel it doesn't matter I see one I get excited and have to take a look. Lets hope if this car sells to someone with deep pockets that they preserve the car for future generations of what the gasser wars were all about and not turn it into another over done pimped out show boat like so many others have been turned into. Well if my rant doesn't liven up this thread at least I tried:eek: Fire away !!!

22. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

Steve Happel's coupe. The car ended up on it's side on the strip in the early 90's and it got sold Down in Florida. ImageUploadedByTJJ1363268109.298862.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1363268128.786136.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

Bob Beazer & The Canadian Indian Denver 1994

Attached Files:

24. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

Grasso Mills Willys early 1980s?

Attached Files:

25. DSC05068.JPG

DSC05026.JPG

DSC05062.JPG

DSC05061.JPG from the sac car show

26. DSC05037.JPG more from sac

DSC05038(1).JPG

DSC05055.JPG not Willys but very cool!!

27. rfraze

rfraze

Vince, Thanks for bringing your truck and the WONDERFUL story that goes with it. You had some great help there too! And you didn't even know any of them til you got there. The Woodstock of Drag Racing. Thanks for being a part of it and for what you are doing today.
    Rob Frazier

28. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Glass gasser and steel street rod at the Fort Worth Goodguys today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

Wow Rob, good to here from you! I am very thankful and fortunate to all the people who pitched in there help and money against all odds to see my truck race!! we even went three rounds with 1964 equipment!:D
    heres a couple pics with your 33 Rob from Central City Colorado Mid America Willys Club.

Attached Files: