Register now to get rid of these ads!

whos runnin checkered Lancer caps? Stay on?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oddrod46, Mar 2, 2013.

1. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

Just bought a set of the checkered lancer repops ie crab claw. I have lost a couple of kustom caps before off my Merc and have recently heard of people putting them on with a bead of gasket sealer, anybody runnin these on a car that gets a lot of road time? Pics?

2. I used to run them way back when and had trouble with them coming off. Back then they sold a hubcap lock that went over your valve stem and that kept them on. They would loosen some but I could knock them back down before they came completely loose. Don't know where you would look for something like that now.

3. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

Anybody else?

4. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Hi Oddrod,

Weren't you looking for some a year or 2 ago?

I've had to bend (to tighten) and sharpen the teeth on a few OEM hub caps before.
    I could tell they needed it because they were so easy to pry off.

5. Yes I ran a set on my 48 caddy and they look nice but the suck for staying on.
    I bent and moved the tabs to get better bite on the wheel and they still came off.
    I asked around a I spoke with a old timer and he said to scuff the paint off the wheels
    because the paint is so slick they will not hold.
    I was coming back from a trip in her and I lost one thanks god I found in in the ditch on the other side of the road. So i went to the HWI store and got me some clear caulk and sealed them bitches on and never had a problem after that.
    I had a buddy use a set and had the big chrome bullets on his valve stems and that cap came loose and put a ass wooping on his fender so becare full on what you do.

6. BJR

BJR

I thought they came off because of wheel flex. Caused by running radials on old rims made for bias ply tires.

7. brad2v

brad2v

I had a set on my '59 Ford wagon, they never came off, and I drove the shit out of the car. It had bias ply tires, so maybe BJR is correct?

8. I had them on my 50 Chevy. Stock 50 rims. Never a problem

9. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

I just had one sling across the road yesterday. Not sure what the next step will be. I popped it back on and will try it again

Attached Files:

10. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

Im hearing scuff the paint and put a bead of gasket sealer on the part where the teeth will hit the rim and if course let dry thoroughly Before running em

11. I've run them on chrome rims and still no problem. Try a few dabs of clear silly cone.

12. anyone ever look at an orgianal Dodge rim.?....try what's been suggested....some of the early rims for "full covers" came with small tities on them....to keep them from slipping around and off....

13. No problems with mine. ...been a few years.

14. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

Russ B which caps are you running? Are you running radials or bias ply tires? Thx

15. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

put a strip of duct tape along the surface where the teeth grab onto. the "gumminess" of the tape will hold on the caps.

16. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

1951 streamliner, have you ever tried this?

17. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I havent personally, but a good friend of mine did to hold on some rare lyons caps and they stayed on for thousands of miles at high speeds.

I will be trying it when I put on my hubcaps

18. Bingo, that's the one reason
    Back in the day I've lost (and found) more in parking lots than on the street lol