Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My AV8 flathead build.. blown...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodderhaag, Jan 28, 2013.

1. great idea, looks great too, congrats.

2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

great solution!

3. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

4. sooooo you are going for it?

5. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I'm thinking.... I talked to a guy today about him cutting me all new glass for it.. So that's taken care of... I know I'm perfectly capable of doing it, but I still doubt myself.. I'm gonna do alot of research and make sure i do it correctly and the best way.. Then ill cut it.. My dream car is Russco's blue coupe. So I'm damned determined to make mine similar . I would have bought his if I woulda seen it in time :)

6. well, you'll be fine. If thats the route you wanna take this go for it man. It will look good either way. Just glad you don't have a small blocked plopped in her. Luv to see something a lil different than the usual.

7. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

The charger makes it sooo much different than most others

8. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Today's project came in the mail. Thanks to mikespeedshopnc I have an excellent workin f1 box

[​IMG]

9. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

car parts on the table... thats a killing offence round my place :eek: :p

10. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Ha. I can't say my wife minds tooo much. I always see her bridals and bits for the horses laying there every now and then... But once the new dinning room set arrives I can guarantee that will also be a killing offense around here :)

11. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Did you make a collar to go between the box and the model a column? Cause there so much bigger diameter than an f1.. I wanted to use my a column also but without machining a collar it will never happen

12. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Removed the factory flange and made the frame hole larger . [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Spend some time reading Brian bass's thread about his cross country ride in the hemi coupe .. Wow! Sure makes a guy think. I would love to do that in my car. Not sure how reliable a blown flathead would be. Of course it's all on how you build it I guess . I think this may change my plans some. I'm thinking about ordering a brand new winters quick change rear with the finned drums , also looking at an all new front spindle set with the finned Buick drum kit all installed ready to go. I just wanna make this thing able to be driven some distances .

14. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put an F1 box in mine and used the model A column because I still have the banger. I used a piece of the F1 column as a sleeve, then cut a couple of slots in the end of the model A column and clamped it down. I needed to do that to run the control arms for the banger.

15. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Houston ..... We have progress . Finally the steering box fits and it even works with the manifolds that are on it!! Trans mounts are done . It's coming along nicely . Waiting on my new steering column tube and I need to build my drop bracket for it...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

It was a thight fit getting the box in there . I moved the hole down as far as possible. I used a flange on inside and a mating flange on outside to make sure it was a nice strong fit. I welded the outside flange to the frame only . I'm pretty happy with it. There is 1/4 inch between it and manifold. That's enough for me. Looks like I'm gonna order the split wishbone kit . Hope it clears my steering arm . Still wanting to do a juice brake conversion . Still hunting all the parts yet. Hoping to find a rear that has a little higher gears .. Reading every thing Brian bass as wrote on here for some inspiration .. Tomorrow is another day

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  17. Elrod

Elrod

Nice. That's cool that the stock headers fit with the lowered box.

18. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I know they are restrictive but they will do for now. I'm gonna order reds headers that are ceramic coated eventually

19. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Got my transmission mounts all fabricated . They came out very nice . Haven't had much time to work on it. Trying to figure out what to do for a radiator ? Any suggestions as to brands ? Also I'm thinking a out moving the fuel tank to the back. Any companies out there make a nice old school style tank ?

20. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Got the old exhaust flanges off the manifolds and new ones plasma cut. My exhaust tube should be here tomorrow to start making pipes to go back the frame . [​IMG]

21. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Soooo.... An older gentleman called me today. Needing model a parts... I sold ever thing that was not usable on the car at this point. Made some nice cash for the project. I decided to hang on the fenders for now. Just because I haven't decided to leave them on or take em off... Decisions decisions ....

22. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Any more progress to report?

23. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Got a few goodies today..some classic bigs and littles ... Hope they look ok.. There a good size for what I had pictured.. New steel wheels and centers also..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. box50

box50

Like the wheels,sweet

25. A Rodder

A Rodder

What size tires?
    I like the '41 caps!

26. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

NICE wheel & tire choice...looking good!

27. can't go wrong with whites. gonna look hot. sorry if I missed it, what are your plans for exterior? Leaving it, painting it, chopping?

28. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

the rears are 31" tall 700-16
    fronts are 26" tall 500-16

im having it chopped 4 inches and.. i want to paint it, not sure when it will happen. and i cannot decide what to so with fenders.. keep em or loose em!?

29. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Since you asked, I'd run fenders and a hood top, but not hood sides.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

30. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have to agree...fenders and hood top.