Register now to get rid of these ads!

Austin texas, yeah that place

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SPEEDBARRONS, Mar 3, 2013.

1. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

I've been dropping hints for the last ten years to my wife that we should check it out, I'm a motorcycle guy and a car guy, so much so I had one of those terrible idea Easyriders dealerships. Now I'm in a position to move to Austin for six months and Seattle for six months, I'd be bringing part of my company with me (concrete pumping) I cant stand neighbors, I'm on ten acres now and would want to do a similar thing, my trucks are big and i do all the hydraulic repars so i need space, I also enjoy living in strange type housing, with my line of work i see trailers to genuine mansions, i could never live in a development and consider one of those fake Italian styrofoam stucco travertine tiled kitchen houses the absolute worst taste on the planet, that would be like buying a labrador on purpose. My question is where do i wanna live in Austin, I'm not a drinker but I eat food and like music. Also for the last 25 years I've owned tattoo shops, still do, thats my wifes life currently, I know the market is saturated with them down there, but i do what i do. This here is serious its time for me to ride down there and have a look (I dont fly)

I looked at all the threads, i read all about arguing about best bar, chicken, music. There was no clear cut case for the place to be. My price range is 400k to a hundred bucks, somewhere in there

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

Texas must be closed on sundays

3. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

South side is weirder...

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's like you stated. There's a ton of threads on it already.

5. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

I'd vote for anywhere between Austin and San Antonio.

6. rustang

rustang

mmmmmm Salt Lick brisket.......

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, with current trends her business can locate about anywhere and if she is good enough the customers will show up on her doorstep. Concrete pumping on the other hand requires being within a reasonable distance of the area that the building of new buildings pretty much requires your services. You would have to research and figure out which area around Austin might be the best to offer your services in on that one.

Since it seems that pump trucks have replaced the wheelbarrows that we used when my former stepfather was a cement contractor in the 60's it may not be that hard to do.

My sister inlaw lives about 7-10 miles sw of Ryan give or take a couple in an area with small acre places but it's 35 or so miles from down town Austin. The only time you know there are people around is when you hear them drive down the gravel road which isn't often. You have to like living in the cedar breaks though.

8. oltruckag

oltruckag

6 months and then on to Seattle... Are you buying or renting? Moving back after Seattle?

I haven't lived in tx in years so I'm not much help but I will say Austin has some awesome food and a great music scene.

9. Dripping Springs area just west of Austin is what you are looking for and there is no tattoo shop there that I know of. I am not sure of your "motorcycle life backround" but be aware that Texas is strictly a Red & Gold state. Good luck and be sure to check out the rest of the hill country area when you get here. Lots of good year round riding here.

10. seems I've been going to Austin for some - almost 40 yrs....to meet up with friends going to UT (and now live there) and the music wasn't (the Vaughn Bros) bad....now it's over run with motor heads....geez....long to just go out west to the river and get nakid'....maybe dive off the cliffs....

North and east might be the best for the room you need....

11. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I'm out towards Taylor (north and east about 20 miles). Little traffic, direct access to the toll road complex which is like owning your own jet in these parts, and lower land prices. There are a handful of hidden gems in this area, in your price range. I can think of one in particular that used to be a working dairy, now renovated into a million dollar home on 11 acres. It's been on the market for a while, so I suspect there's a bargain there for someone. It's a good example of what can be found. I also have a great builder I could refer you to, if you wanted to do new construction to your liking, anywhere within a hundred miles.

12. Austin is a great town, except between the hours of 4-6 PM when I-35 is moving at a snails pace. When I left Oregon a few years ago, I thought about living in that area but I could see the migration from the left coast heading that way. I found that I could live on twenty acres with a 10 acre lake in a large house where I can sight in my guns all day long outside of Oklahoma City for the fraction of the price of comparable property.

Texas is just a short drive away and most of my friends live there. And like Texas, we love our Conservative freedom and not looking for anyone who thinks they can change us.

13. dew468

dew468
    from Austin, Tx

south and west has a ton of building going ALL the time. i live south central and only cross the river if it's a HAVE TO situation. south is more layed back, and north is like the big northeastern cities (yankees, lol). anywhere you chose Tx is a great place to live.

14. Bart78

Bart78

I use to love to visit Austin. I guess being from stephenville Austin just got a little to liberal for me. The first man I ever saw in a dress was in Austin.

15. dew468

dew468
    from Austin, Tx

yea but the liberals are mostly in north Austin(thank God). you must have seem leslie. there are a bunch now, :(

16. Bart78

Bart78

I have a cousin that lives there with his boyfriend. We get to hear all about it when they come to town during Christmas. He still tells my grandfather that that's his room mate. There are some good places to eat down there.

17. one37tudor

one37tudor

Best scenery out West of Austin. Best land prices are southeast of the city.
    If your business needs to be close to the city downtown area you can rent large commercial tracts along 183 south between Austin and Lockhart. There are also opportunities South of Austin in the Buda/Kyle area especially West of those two.

If you are going to live here I would suggest you scout the area out before you purchase. There is a lot of difference between the Areas North, South, East or West of the city limits and it just depends on what you like.

Scott...

18. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Everybody uses concrete, including; liberals, gays and big government. Especially big government since they like building bridges, highways, schools and all that kind of useless stuff.

19. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

It's in the 70's with ink blue skies

We're racing or cruising!

I think I got your angle: draw a parallel line about 10 miles west of I35 and search west of that. You can find plenty of "don't bug me" acreage, but can hook up with the car crew easy enough.

20. The Bronze

The Bronze

Best line I've heard in a while.

21. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I think you need Dr. Phil

22. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

Some good info here fellas, this info is not in other threads, the tricky part for me are where to stash concrete pumps and be able to get to a job in 40 minutes or less, and say have a fifty mile radius. I was on your local craigslist trying to get a feel for the place with all my topsecret search words yesterday. I looked a few years ago at houses, seems the market has jumped up there pretty well, we dont need a large house, just something cool, The mainfloor of my barn is 4000sqf and is wide open with bedroom, kitchen and living room, this seems the magic number from not killing each other like your kids pet rats you didnt leave food for when you went on a three day vacation. Few people mentioned dripping springs, i'll have a look see. Another thing i dont like is if you have to drive 30 minutes to get to basic services, when i lived in toronto canada, if you wanted acreage, you drove 30-40 minutes to get to a grocerystore, none of us ever wanted to go

23. Bart78

Bart78

If I were going to move to Texas. And try to get in on anything. And only live here six months of the year. I would go where the oil is. If you get in with them. You will be busy.

24. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Can't stand neighbors? Going to have to live outside Austin aways. The last few years the city has engouraged increasing the density of population. People are packing in like sardiners and what used to be a little space and breathing room is all but gone. Get ot a job in 40 min or less?? Not gonna happen. roads crammed and move at a snail's pace. Maybe if you are real lucky you can find a place to stach heave equipment etc close in, but getting anywhere in this town takes lots of time now.

25. belair

belair

Nope, the Blue law went away several years ago.

26. 62nova

62nova

I moved away from Austin because it has become so generic and congested with suburbia.

27. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yeah, to have your cake and eat it (living on quiet acreage and being within striking distance to concrete jobs) you'll need a yard or building close to the city to position your equipment. What sort of rigs? Full on pumper trucks or a trailer pump pulled behind an F-550) type setup?
    The trailer setup would fit inside a small roll-up industrial "shop" and be more secure.

Concrete usually gets poured real early, so commuting from home to your rig in the early AM gets you under traffic. If you finish by early afternoon you'll be under rush hour going home.

Commuting on a cycle or economy car would help pay for the shop/yard rental compared to hauling your rig in/out of town to get back to the house. Fuel savings over driving the rig to and from home would be huge.

Politically, how do you get started pumping as an outsider? I know around here, its dog eat dog; the concrete contractors and independent finishers all have their "go-to" pumpers. Its a tight knit deal that doesn't take well to anyone outside the clique (taking "their money"). If I pour a driveway and hire a couple of finishers, they bring in their pumper and vis a vis. The pumper I've used has his own cement truck on call and if I pay the concrete bill seperately, I get a break (his price) on the mud.

To start, you might possibly be the guy who will pump in the boonies around your home whereas the established guys stay in town and won't travel. This would mean you take the rig home on Tuesday night for a Wednesday morning job up around where you live. You might be the "go-to" pumper for that county area. Find out what finishers and contractors work that area and get in with them. If you make friends with an Austin area pumper, you might end up referring each other as long as you're not stepping on each others area of work. You may get called in to sub a job if they can't handle it when they're booked up solid.
    Make a good name for yourself.

28. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

I specialize in high volume line pumps, these are the boom trucks without the booms, up here i have state contracts doing tunnels, bridges, pipe abandoment, but also residential, my favorite is bringing out the big mofo for a one yarder maybe 30 feet of line, im attracted to texas for the weather and reasonable prices, plus its not california, i have a former crack shack next to El Mirage that was less than the price of a driver Model A, but the other crack houses are still around it, no thanks.

Isnt there an abandoned amusement park or an old grocery store anywhere? Perhaps closed insane asylum or school house no one wants

29. Rolf

Rolf

Scott,

it's 40, soggy, foggy or rainy here...six months out of the year.

I don't understand why you would want to leave??:D

30. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

You Icelandic types think Seattle is to Texas if you lived in Sweden