Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question about msd and summit ignition boxs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dmont37, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Dmont37

Dmont37

I have a 30 over 318 with a big cam in the 37 plymouth. I was wondering if getting a msd or Summit racing ignition box would clean up the wiring and eliminate the control box. Was also wondering if thats the better way to go or should i just stick with the standard Ignition system for a mopar.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  2. oj

oj

As far as i know the mopar ignition is a cd system and they work good. Summit don't make anything esp ignition boxes so don't by one from them. Can't go wrong with msd, it would take a high compression engine to tell the difference between msd and the mopar ignition. Your call, pick either of them.

3. look up using a gm hei module with mopar dist.works great.no more box or resistor.

4. Drive Em

Drive Em

MSD makes the Summit ignition box.

5. I have had good luck with a lot of summit branded pieces but I would not go with their ignition box. I like to know that I have a good known brand of electronics when I am using electronics.

If I had a stock MOPAR electronic I would stick with it or if I had a points ignition I would consider using the MSD box. I would probably want to hide the box behind the dash though if I could.

6. I do not believe this to be true.

Do you have proof of this?

It is my understanding that it's made by Chinese company ProForm.

The only company MSD makes their product for (that I know of) is GM. GM's Performance Parts ignition system is a re-labled marine version of the MSD 6-AL.

As far as the OP's situation, if you have MoPar's "Lean-Burn" system, anything's better.

7. All the mopar system needs is a change to the performance control mod, you want the orange box.

8. Drive Em

Drive Em

The parts bag and instructions are exactly like the MSD units. The other proof I have is that I have toured the facility twice, including last May, and I saw the units being built, boxed and shipped. The units said Summit on them and they went into Summit boxes.

The Summit boxes were initially being made by Mallory, but the quality control was not there, so Summit went to MSD to have them built. Oh, by the way, the MSD manufacturing plant is a state of the art 100,000 + square foot facility that is second to none.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  9. oj

oj

I think MSD/Autotronics were OEM Ford, the modules etc are still Ford pieces and an ignition box is available thru ford with the ford logo etc and part number.
    I don't see msd 'white boxing' any of its' product only to compete against themselves.

10. Drive Em

Drive Em

They are not competeing against themselves, as they make money whether you go with the Summit brand, or the MSD. Most aftermarket companies "white box" their products.

The pickups in the distributors, as well as some of the cap and rotor designs were originally Ford style, but everything else is strictly MSD's design.