Register now to get rid of these ads!

lost plate found!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by russ1403, Mar 3, 2013.

1. russ1403

russ1403

IMG_20130303_160953.jpg so a couple years ago i was working with a friend and he finds out i collect license plates and tells me he has some old ones from his grand father in his basment i can have,,so for months i pick him up and drop him off from his house while working a construction job and forget to ask him to go get them. finally i ask him one day and he goes into his basment and comes out with only one and explained to me he had a pair but his mom had given one to a neighbor. i was bummed but it was still a free plate for the collection so i shrug it off. this weekend i go to the swapmeet and wouldnt you know it there's my matching plate!,,pick it up for 7$ with out even asking for a discount and then ask the guy if he used to live near my friend and he says yes..i explain i have the other plate and he said yes your friends mom gave me this one due to me having a old car and she thought i would like it..i have the first one on my wall in my room and see it daily so the number just stuck in my mind and somehow the universe made the plates come back together..hope some of you have had similar stories and feel the coolness of somthing like this happening to you!

2. historynw

historynw

Its Karma you were meant to have it. ;)

3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Thats a cool story, congrats!

4. zjerry

zjerry

Nice Story.

5. 562roadster

562roadster

It was meant to be!

6. Model T1

Model T1

That's pretty amazing. Of all the things that could have happened, even the guy ahead of you could have bought it and you'd see it go by.
    I used to collect license plates of any year when living in Illinois.
    Since I drove a truck for a large company I had guys from other plants giving me old license plates. Got some really nice ones over the years.
    The best memories are from camping vacations when my wife and I went junk yard license plate hunting. We made a game of it. Explained why I wanted them and refused to pay money. Still got plenty. Not many wives will wade thru mud and muck and stare down junk yard dogs just for a few license plates!
    Up till lately each plate had a story when I looked at them. I had them mounted on a side of my garage facing another dead end street. Shucks I made the Inquirerer! That was a lucky thing. People mailed me plates from all over the world.
    When we retired I removed them. Some are mounted along my long driveway here in Florida. A few tacked on a garage wall for only our viewing. Our oldest Marine son brought one home from Desert Storm and Hawaii. None are for sale.

7. russ1403

russ1403

yeah i feel it was karma..plus bieng a early bird helps..i would have shit myself if i saw another person walking around after purchasing that plate..would have have to plead with them to let me pay double or tripple to get it back and put the set together!

8. russ1403

russ1403

model t 1...thats cool to hear other people are so passionate about plates and have friends etc that give them to you and your wife hunting with you..i have had many friends and realitives give me plates and find them for a song all the time..i try and stick to california and have sold several out of state ones for a good profit just to thin the heard..i enjoy binging ones from out of state back to cali where i think they belong,,every one i remeber where i got..what a addiction!!

9. russ1403

russ1403

IMG_20130303_174139.jpg when i picked up my missing plate today i got this one too,,anybody know what it is?...i searched bing and google and came up empty...any info would be appreciated:)

10. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Sweet...congrats...

11. American Forces Southern Europe......

12. titus

titus

Cool, my dad had a 31 plate hanging around his garage for a long time, ive always seen it but noticed the numbers on the plate looked really familiar, i took a look at my social security card and the 5 numbers on the plate matched the first 5 numbers of my social security card, crazy!

13. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

I went to 2 Estate auctions last year and bought a box of license plates from each... Was hanging them on the wall and noticed I had a few sets of sequential numbers... 1961 2536 and 1961 2537, or what ever the numbers are. And the coolest ones are from '71 and they are 1-sn and 2-sn. These 2 guys for being hours away from each other must have applied for plates at the same time...

14. russ1403

russ1403

awsome i couldnt figure out what it stood for..just googled it and found a few..it has 1952 in sharpie on the back..seems to be a over sees plate from the war..thanks!!

15. russ1403

russ1403

that is crazy..hope you still have the plate..love plates with numbers that mean something to you/me etc personally:)

16. russ1403

russ1403

wow thats cool..ive collected plates for almost 15 years and only cool thing other than finding my matching plate today was having a plate matching a dav key tag...no close plate numbers so far but always on the look out!

17. I had a similar situation. I bought a 69 Camaro with a crazy candy paint job but no hood from a guy in MO. Later, I had the Camaro at a car show in IL and this guy walks up and says he has the hood for my car in his basement. I couldn't believe it! He was going to strip it and paint it to match his car but if I got him another GM cowl hood, he would trade me. We made the trade! It made the car complete again....

18. russ1403

russ1403

wow that is a cool story of fact as i like to say...what a sequence of events to get something back together that belongs together!!

19. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

old license plates are cool. I have collected a few over the years.

20. russ1403

russ1403

I had a similar situation. I bought a 69 Camaro with a crazy candy paint job but no hood from a guy in MO. Later, I had the Camaro at a car show in IL and this guy walks up and says he has the hood for my car in his basement. I couldn't believe it! He was going to strip it and paint it to match his car but if I got him another GM cowl hood, he would trade me. We made the trade! It made the car complete again....[/QUOTE]

saw your volks rod,,my friend owned for a bit fellow hamb member jim sibleys vw..it is cool..drove it a few times:)..hope yours comes out as cool..heres a pic to inspire you!
    IMG_20130303_184244.jpg

21. Cool, and to add 28 plate pairs are pretty pricey now.
    Nice one - good karma at work LOL

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

22. Gman0046

Gman0046

Buy a Lottery ticket!

23. Our shop cat strolled through the door after been missing for 18 months................that count?

24. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I have a 40 Ford so I am trying to collect 1940 plates from each state. I usually buy on ebay and try to stay under $25. So far I have 31 of the 48. I drew a US map on a 4x8 plywood and fastened them in their respective locations.

25. russ1403

russ1403

that does count..18 months is a long time...when i was young our cat who was a inside/outdoor cat would go missing weeks on end..pretty sure it was the cat lady on our block that would lock him up till he escaped and would come home and not go outside for a week..glad your cat came back:)

26. russ1403

russ1403

that is cool,,have seen a couple pics of maps of the us with the plates cut into the shape of the state..if i had a garage id do something like that..good luck on the rest of the states you need:)

27. greaser41

greaser41

I have only been collecting plates for a few months. If it was me, I dont think I would ever be able to part with that set of plates.