Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Gene Winfield chops at Chicago WoW & Detroit Autorama

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doctor Detroit, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Heads ups, Kustoms guys.... For those of you who aren't aware of this pretty cool info, Gene Winfield is chopping a car at the Chicago World of Wheels which is this weekend, March 1-3, 2013. Joining him tonight was Voodoo Larry, and I think some of his crew were there as well. He's also chopping a car next weekend at the Detroit Autorama.

I never thought I'd have the opportunity to meet Gene. Fortunately, I did have an opportunity to meet Mr. Winfield at the Chicago World of Wheels and he was a really great guy. I bought a picture of the exterior of his shop from 1957, and he autographed it. Then, he said "let's get a picture in front of the shop sign", where they had recreated a backdrop to look like his old shop. I'm hoping that somehow a little bit of that top chopping skill was passed along when I shook his hand.

As an additional heads up, I talked to guy at Gene's display who's writing a book about Gene Winfield. He's got a lot of pages written and a lot of photographs together already. He said look for the book at the end of the year.

Attached Files:

2. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Quick bump for guys heading out to Chicago World of Wheels today...

3. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

sounds like a good time how was the rest of the show

4. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I thought the whole show was good... It's nice to see a bunch of cars of all types in the middle of winter. The area around the Winfield display is what I liked the most. That's where most of the hamb friendly cars were.

5. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

just got back from chicago, gene was cuttin and weldin. wacked the hell out of an old chevy.

6. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

Thats my buddys 50 (?)Chevy Gene is chopping. Going up tomorrow to check it out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. jstanotheidiot

jstanotheidiot

When I was there today Voodoo Larry was doing the the welding n Gene was eating a burger n taking pictures with pretty girls.As soon as he was done he jumped back in to help.

8. MODELA30

MODELA30

IS THIS AT THE SHOW? I MEAN THERE ARE NO PEOPLE AROUND? Knuck From Indiana.

9. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

They started cutting on Friday at 3pm. Not may people there. Another friend was there today to take pictures and he could not even get close. I have not got any more picks since yesterday. I am going tomorrow.

10. Enjoyed checking out the action and the cars in the Autorama section. I plan to show next year!!!!

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It doesn't take long being around Gene to figure out that he stops what ever he is doing when the pretty gals show up. It's fun to watch even though you were the one he was talking to at the time.

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Gene doing chop super Kool. but, no other pics of show??

13. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Those pictures only show the area for Winfield's display. I don't think they are letting anybody just walk up to them working on it. They are keeping people back, probably for safety's sake. Plenty of people were watching while I was there.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. 54sled

54sled

I got the same pic signed in pittsburgh wow,he chopped a car there too,hell of a nice guy!

15. falcon-61

falcon-61
    from Chicago

It's nice to know that if you really want to, you can still be cutting and welding some of the coolest stuff at age...I'm gonna conservatively guess 70 or 75 maybe? Makes me feel good knowing I can do this a while yet since I'm only 28 and I'm off to a good start already.

16. essexrat

essexrat

A couple years back I met Gene at the WOW in Winnipeg when I had my 52 Poncho entered. I asked him if he thought I should chop it, and his response was "of course"...got a pic of him "chopping" her with a hacksaw...only thing that I could scrounge up at the time...Pretty cool I thought. One hell of an awesome guy.

Attached Files:

17. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

18. rat nasty

rat nasty

would like to see more of this one howd it turn out?

19. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

Made it up there today. Got to talk to Gene. Very friendly.
    [​IMG]
    Not totally done but pretty damn close

20. billys54

billys54

21. cmarcus

cmarcus

Got to watch the master in action as well. What a treat!! I would've spent the 16 bucks just to go that "back room" just to look at those cars and watch him all day! But with the wife in tow, and my parents (and mom) in town made that a bit tough...

22. Quintin

Quintin

anyone know who the guy on the left is... i met him at rumblefest last year and cant remember his name.
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

23. chaddilac

chaddilac

Voodoo Larry!!

24. sololobo

sololobo

Gene Winfield: custom God and all around nice guy!! sololobo~

25. 32 bowtie

32 bowtie

I looked at the show information for Boston on march 22-24, it says Gene's chop shop will be on display but its not clear if he will be there or not. Can't find any schedule by google search of Gene either?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

26. IronTrap

IronTrap

Yea that's the last one he is doing on the Chop Shop tour. History in the making!

-Matt

27. Quintin

Quintin

no the guy on the WAY left

28. KOTC

KOTC

Kent Long - Kelly's Hot Rods on here (his brother)

29. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

Mr. Winfield was there (Detroit)and indeed was chopping a '39 Chevie coupe. I was there on Friday and they removed the top and started fitting the gap pieces. He had plenty of help but was very actively involved. Also signed many autographs between cut off wheels. Also had a '37 ford PU that he did in the '50s on display.
    Good show all around but the "basement" was best.

30. 3030

Nice to think I might have 26 more years in me. I'm sure that when he got done at the end of day he wanted to go dancing. Gene told me his theory was don't worry about everything just do what you can. Still acting like a kid at 86.