Register now to get rid of these ads!

62 Chevy value?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Post Apocalyptic Kustoms, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

some proper steelies.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  2. Well my mom passed th week before thanks giving so if that is where you are then you probably are willing to give 2k for a thousand dollar truck.

I have been driving those trucks sinvce we thought that were late model and I have never given more that 1200 for one and it was sharp.

3. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

So the price is too high then? I've never really gotten into these "newer" trucks, I've always been a 47-54 kind of guy.

4. I have seen them go high but I have never been willing to pay that much for one.

The pusher originally cost me 450 and I drove it for 6 months before I changed out the 130 hp small block for the monster. Granted it was not a custom cab and had th normal rust that these trucks get but I have a solid custom cab that I gave a buck fifty for just sitting waiting for a new life.

Around here you are looking at a 1200 dollar truck max and being a 6 makes it worth way less.

[​IMG]

5. specialk

specialk

Looks like I need to come visit you and find some of those $1200 trucks - most of the stuff that can be driven is $2K+ around here.

6. I got the humor.. lol...

I'd love to stock-pile those up at $1000 each, where can I get some?

I'd say it was worth $2K if the rust wasn't that bad. It gets ugly when the rust creeps up into the door hinge pillars and the floor up under the dash. If the rust is into the door sills, I pass them up.

I always like to see these trucks in person myself.

Bob

7. Between me and an old racing buddy we have half a dozen of them, I have a ton '62 that I got for hauling it off, with a clear title. No rust, I am going to make a trailer hauler out of it for when we retire if I ever get my shit together.

You can find them high priced anywhere you look or you can find them cheap. I wouldn't give you the time of day for a 235 truck, I have had a couple and they wouldn't pull an old sick woman off a bed pan.

There was a '65 283 truck about a month back on craiglist for a grand and the guy would have taken less or so he said when the missus called.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  8. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

2000 is a good price around here they sell for around 4000 or 5000 offer less if you want it

9. We used to grab them around 1975-1980 for $75 to $200. I even got a couple of free ones thrown in with deals, had parts for years for bartering and keeping the fleet going.

I prefer them with blown up motors, stick in a SBC or BBC of my own. And with the big 4-speed if at all possible.

Keeping my eyes open on the local CL, the ones on evilBay are going for $4K and up even for rustbuckets.

Bob

10. aaggie

aaggie

Go on Craigs List and check places around the rural South or East Texas and you will find lots of those 60s Chevy and GMC trucks. They usually rust out on the front of the hood and in the front of the cab overhang.

11. Normally what we find around here are old farm trucks some of them with running engines and some not.

There is one floating around that the missus and I bought when we were in high school in Oregon (1970) for 100.00 and stuffed an L-79 and 4 speed in it. We sold it to a friend for 600 bucks when we moved back here.

he showed up a year after than in the old truck for a visit and was down to his last dollar, so we fed him for a couple of weeks and sent him home on a train with a few bucks in his pocket for the old truck. I have probably owned that one half a dozen times over the last 40 or so years. I have never given more than 600 for it and it has had some pretty interesting drive train combos or no drive train at all over the years. I figure I will own it at least one more time before I die.

They are good old trucks, but I just don't believe in dumping a ton of money on one that I know I am going to change and if it was a 6 cylinder truck it would probably get changed before it got licensed.

I knew a guy that had a compltely restored to original when I first got on the HAMB. I sold him an original radio for 15 bucks, I don't figure an AM radio is worth much. He was asking 5K for it and ended up getting 1500 for it last year.

Post Apoliptic Kustoms,
    if you like the truck 2K worth don't pass it up. That may be a good price where you are.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  12. Joey7319

Joey7319

Not a bad price for around here. you can always make an offer.

13. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

2K is good price for that truck. They are so popular here in SoCal that I see them more than other Chevy trucks (like AD design, Task Force Design, etc.......etc..........) being used as daily drivers. My brother has a 64 that's his daily driver.

14. rustang

rustang

That would be a pretty good price for one up here...

15. My brother had one that came back to him once, I thought that was cool. We used to be falling over them here, plenty of 'yards for parts too, all that is gone.

If we needed an engine, just poke around to find a beat up Impala or Belair as a donor. Quite often we put the tired old 6 back into the junk car and took it to the 'yard and got full $$ junk money for it.

Bob

16. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

I found a better deal, a '49 DeSoto 2dr with no motor and trans for $650. I'm going to pick it up if the guy still has it. The only downside is that it has a GM subframe under the front, but I can work around that. I also know of a rust free '64 2dr Biscayne for $1000 but I'd rather have the DeSoto. Theres one good thing about the bad economy, project cars for next to free!

17. The GM sub may be a good thing. Makes it easy to find a bolt in engine. :D

18. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

Good point. The thing I on't like about subframes though is that you have to run either front wheel drive or space saver steelies to get the wheels tucked back under the fender where thy're supposed to be.

19. Or go to a roundy round supplier and buy some cheap shorter length tubular A arms. Lake City racing is a good place for things like that. If you buy one thing from them one time they will send you a racers discount catalog. Cheaper than the counter price and roundy round parts are a good solution for a lot of our problems.

20. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

Around my area I've seen them go for a grand or so especially being a 6 cyl. LWB.. Short wheel base around here will bring a lot more and is a heck of a lot easier to re-sale when you're ready to move on. But hey, if you think it's a good deal then it's a good deal....in the end that's all that counts.

48 Poncho

21. Ive got dozens of them. I stock piled them and now I want to sell all of them except three. bring a trailer & cash and Ill sell them to you at double scrap price . Scrap is $240 per ton. your price would be $480 a ton. Ive got a really good solid 65 that can be driven anyplace for $1500. OldWolf