Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Kent Fuller Top Fueler Recreated

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by riceman, Apr 22, 2011.

1. riceman

riceman

2. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Cool pics Roger, Car looks Great , Good choice in music ,Saw Deep Purple live when I was younger,,,,, Tim Jones

3. RAT "T"

RAT "T"

What a great thread, right from the start!

4. riceman

riceman

Since there was Test & Tune going on down in Famoso For the March Meet, i decided to do some testing and tuning at home. You know, Need Nitro Now !
    I hooked up the battery charger to the battery pack for the starter. Moved vehicles around to get the M & R Special out on the driveway.
    Kackle Ken Riley showed up and it was time to go to work. During the week I did some technical math work on Nozzl...e Jet sizes in square inches of area. With only two nozzles feeding the nitro to the motor instead of 8 nozzles like the Hilborns, the square inches of area has to be equal.
    At the CHRR in October I had about 50% of nozzle area of what is on the Hilborn injectors which seem to work without raw fuel coming out of the pipes. Multiple problems made it challenging to get it to run dry.
    With leaks, sticking barndoors solved and a stable .005'' air gap, it was time to make a nozzle changes. I went with 80% of the Hilborn nozzle area size. I also changed the Barrel Valve bypass jet from .110'' to .085'' so less fuel volume is bled off. If it was puking out raw fuel, so what, shut it off. I hooked up the starter and spun it, getting 80 psi oil pressure.
    Ken got suited up as I put the spark plugs in. I sprayed gas into the injectors and spun it, It lit off as soon as Ken hit the magneto switch on. I was liking what I was hearing with a higher idle speed and no raw fuel coming out of the pipes. It ran for 90 seconds and used just under 1 1/3 gallons of 87% Nitro.
    The Motor wanted more Nitro. I put in bigger jets in the Nozzles that was 93% of my base size for the Hilborns. We lit it off again and "HO LEE CHIT" ! It was a POUNDING ! Way more better with no leaks anywhere. The motor ran for another 90 seconds and used 1 1/2 gallons of Nitro.
    Ken said from the drivers seat the motor was sounding like the Brissette cackler. By this time, the motor was getting pretty warm, that was enough for our testing today. A good NITRO FIX.
    I would say we are real close to the tune up we need. I may make one more change to the Idle Check Valve, increasing the pressure to 7 psi instead of 6 psi.
    The motor is using the fuel now and I feel that we are almost there for a good running motor. March Meet here we come, ready to have some FUN !

5. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

dam roger i bet the neighbors got there wake up call on sunday! car is absolutely beautiful! are you thinking about bringing it back to the reunion in october?

6. riceman

riceman

I will be there this year with only the M & R Special

7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

With a fuel burn of roughly 1 gallon per minute, how big is the fuel tank?:eek:

8. riceman

riceman

3 1/2 gallon Moon tank for 3 minutes of running.

9. riceman

riceman

Here is our Cackling at the March Meet

Attached Files:

10. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

It's a shame you don't get much header flame from it Roger. DAMN, that thing should roast a bunch of Spam! :D

11. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

golly, it just makes me wonder how fast that car would go today on one of these modern tracks. But those old rare parts are kind of like not worth taking chances with.
    I still have to wonder though what that jewel would look like sailing through traps.
    Stellar car! Tom S. in Tn.

12. ardyboy

ardyboy

Roger, I was there all weekend and caught the cackle in the grove. Great show!! It's so nice to see the people gather around and choke and tear up. Then clap their hands for the show they watched. Thanks for keeping the past alive.

13. Simply bad ass. Great thread. Hope to see the car in person one day.

14. riceman

riceman

I am home safe and sound. WHAT ? My ears are still ringing. Last year was the first time in 10 years I had crewed on a N/TF Dragster. I was on Gerry Steiner's U-Boat crew when he won the 2002 VRA Championship and was drafted by Frank and Debra Ousley on the Crop Duster in 2012.
    Thank you to Frank & Debra , the YOUNG GUNS, Jim, Ryan, Brian, JOE, Louie, Eric and Justin. I had a great time.
    With Denver Shutz with the lane choice in the left lane and Jimmy Young in the right lane, it looked like they left together. The Crop Duster had last year's size M & H slicks on and no two speed.
    The Crop Duster passed Denver in the last 200 feet to take the win at over 269 mph. Frank's computor readout said the blower belt let go at the 1300 ft at 10,524 rpm at 269.08 mph. The motor never had oil on it all weekend,,,,DRY even after the last round.
    Frank Ousley gives what the motor and car wants. Whatever he is doing is keeping the WIN light on !
    You have most like read that the Masters & Richter Special was loaded into Frank and Debra's hauler along side the Crop Duster. Two TOP SPEED of the MEET Fuelers, 50 years apart and 75 mph faster Crop Duster.
    The Masters & Richter Special is going on tour, Bowling Green, New England Hot Rod Reunion, who knows what else and back for the CHRR, thanks to the Ousleys.
    It was so wonderful to meet alot of friends, The Chesworths & Roy from England, Julie Braskett, Julie Sanders-Smee and everyone whose names I can't remember right now.
    We fired up the M & R Special 3 times and it was ROCKIN ! Saturday we fired it just as the sun went down and had a good flame show out of those weedburners.
    Thanks you to Famoso Raceway and Steve Gibbs for a great weekend !
    After talking with Lefty Hay, Sid Masters had called him and was setting up a Tour of the East, but things happened and was never done. 50 years later, this WILL happen, a summer tour for the M & R Special . The first leg of the tour is done and now the M & R Special in in Morrison, Ill thanks to Frank and Debra Ousley.

Attached Files:

15. riceman

riceman

If you are on Facebook, go to "Roger Lee" page and see the 4 minute video of the Flaming cackle and TURN IT UP !

16. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Looks and sounds great Roger!

17. Ricci32

Ricci32

Rodger will you be at the newengland hrr in person.

18. riceman

riceman

Yes & the M & R Special

19. riceman

riceman

Attached Files:

20. I believe I have one of these cars-has been in the barn for 30 yrs-can ya tell me anything about it?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  21. Kent fuller chassis?

Attached Files:

22. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

23. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Looks like it's been front halved with a larger modern tank. Why is there a wishbone on the right and a single radius rod on the left? Tom S. in Tn.

24. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Fairly common practice as there is no torsional loading on the axle without brakes.

25. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

That is a real nice find. Just having one hairpin holds the axle in possision and allows one to adj. castor and with a single rod on the other keeps the weight down. Fuel tanks a little odd but some things about it are period. Should be a fun build

26. I really have little resources on tracking down history for this car-it was purchased in the pits at baylands in freemont '83-'85 by my dad-I believe he was matching some chassis geometry for our salt car- I have done a bit of study and I'd doesn't seem as though the frame was gusset for 392 application-more believable it was s/b or nailhead mill-also the 2bars coming from the hoop to the top rail on each side of the cockpit seems unique as well-most close ups of fuller frames that I've been able to see good pics of, show many comparisons to this chassis-really hoping an expert will chime in and point me in a direction-seems that "rice man" knows his stuff- I run a custom harley shop called vintage technologies but slingshot restoration isn't what I'm known for haha! Please help a classic get what it deserves! Very difficult to research an item of this type

Attached Files:

27. Pics

Attached Files:

28. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

The sissy bars were prob not part of the original build by the evadence of the uphostery not fitting, Motor possistion has been changed since the cars built had the motorplate lined up with an upright and the rear end that you have is not the one for the car since the welded brackets were installed for a rectanguler tube uprite and not a round tube with plate. More than likely someone was thinking about going Nostalgia raceing in the late 80's early 90's and just gave up on the deal. The fuel tank is the newest part of this deal

29. I agree on all of those points and thanx for input-What would an estimated value be on this critter? Can't find any for sale to compare to!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

The value is based on what is there and how much is left to do. Lets say that you removed the sissy bars and the motor mount tabs, lined up the rearend to a motorplate and mounted the rearend properly, blst the frame and shot some primer over the whole thing wolud increase the sales potential.Otherwise I would only offer $800-$1000 for what you have because of the amount of work needed for it to become rolling.