Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Nostalgia Drag Racers, race for money, trophy, or fun?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don Moyer, Feb 26, 2013.

1. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

I always did it for fun, never really thought i would go all the rounds and win money anyway so it was never a concern, even though its not cheap to maintain an old race car, for me it was the thrill of an old skool heads up race and the need for speed:D

2. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

I like money as much as the next guy, but when given the choice of passing on with lotsa money or lotsa memories, I'll take the memories.

You can't put a price on enjoying life.:)

See you all at Denton on Saturday (2MAR13)

3. So when did money come into play? I know big money started backing guys for match races in the mid to late 60's, but when did tracks start paying a purse?

4. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

Tracks started paying purses to attract racers which in turn brought spectators..... Later on (I'd say early/mid sixties, the tracks would pay individual "stars" to come in and race/show to bring in more paying spectators. Circuits started in the late 60's... Tracks are in business to make a buck. By paying a group of cars or individuals "show" money they ensure there will be a show to attract fans... Purses are normally posted to attract racers today... Most track owners will tell you, the car count pays the bills and the spectator count is what turns a profit....

The above is still how it is today, mainly on the east coast and mid-west. On the west coast there are so few tracks that the existing tracks rarely pay for booked in shows, and from what I understand, 90% of the cars pay a entrance fee to race, even in the nitro classes...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  5. Old Racer 35

Old Racer 35
    from virginia

Rocky, have seen your car at old dominion ,beaver springs and budds creek ,you put on a great show and can tell you are a racer who loves the sport .
    i have often wanted to ask this question of all the local bracket racers but i know what the answer would be!
    i still race because of the love of the sport period.

6. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

100_2023I just finished this one , Would it be considered Nostalgia or Newstalgia?

7. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

I just finished this one ,Would it be considered Nostalgia or Newstalgia?:D

Attached Files:

8. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

How about perfect.

www.meltdowndrags.com

9. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

when i was cleaning out my shop a while back i threw away all my trophies --- already threw away all my money ...

10. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

tell us about the 55 chevy...

11. It was never about the money. Sure if you made a little that was great it was never that much. If you did it for the money, you would lose you ass. I always said it was for the fun, and when it wasn't fun anymore I would quit. That is what happened I got tired of all the so called remote control cars with all the electronics. It was always for the fun and I will get it out again one of these days

12. So why do nostalgia events have trophies or pay outs? Why not just lower the entrance fee and have at it?

13. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I wondered this same thing when planning The Gear Jam... so I'm doing BOTH:
    For the serious guys, I have a $1,000 purse for each class... and the rules are to make the cars look vintage--no modern wings, paint schemes, electronics, aero noses, etc. etc.
    The Quick 8 qualifiers will run 3 rounds of eliminations for the purse.
    But while they're running their eliminations, everyone else in the class will be paired with their closest competitor, and those two cars will do a Best 2-out-of-3 shootout.
    Everything is heads-up...
    At my event, the serious guys have a shot at real professional-style racing going for win money, nobody will go on the trailer because they "weren't quick enough," the slower guys will get to make passes all day and will have just as much "legitimacy" as the fast cars, nobody gets their doors blown off, and there are no staggered starts.

My goal is to have the best of both worlds, and put on a great, FULL show for the spectators.

I'd love to hear what you guys think of this plan.

www.gearjamdrags.com

-Brad

14. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Site sounds good, when you puttin' one on in SoCal? :cool:

15. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

When the one in Atlanta has enough left over for a couple of plane tickets to SoCal!

-Brad

16. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I'll be ready. :D

17. So your just having 1 class for a $1000 payout, or a bunch of classes with that pay out per class? How many trophies for how many other classes...I am confused cause most of the folks that have jumped in on this thread have said that cash and trophies are nice, but not the reason to go to an event?

18. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

I'll run for money and trophys! Na, it's all about having FUN. I'll have to, as I'm running with a Flathead:D!
    We in SVDA, run two classes at the moment, one for cars with doors, and one for FED's and Altereds.
    We don't run for the money, and expect free entrance.
    Clowns don't pay to entertain in the circus:)!

Taildragger&fenderless

19. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

$1,000 payout for each class: Gasser, FED, Nostalgia Super Stock, Hot Rod and Muscle Car (to 1974). I was going to have an Altered/Comp Coupe class, but have been advised by guys who race that class, that most events just put them in with the FEDs.

The rest of the people who come will get to race heads-up against evenly-paired competition, in the Best 2-out-of-3 shootout with each other... bragging rights, grudge racing, whatever. They'll be called to the lanes and lined up just like they were racing for The Money, and they won't get their doors blown off, and they won't have to wait while the other guy launches.

(Though I've heard from the NSS guys, and they WANT to run indexed brackets, so that's what they'll do).

At the end of the event, the 5 class winners, and the three fastest qualifiers will do a round-robbin handicapped-start race for Top Eliminator, $1,000 purse.

-Brad

20. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I guessing that the money will taint your event, but I do wish you the best.
    Look at the other thread Don has and the bickering back and forth from the clubs that run for money.
    The money wouldn't make me any more motivated because I don't think I've done the same things on runs back to back so the other drivers cars would have to break for me to win.:D

www.meltdowndrags.com

21. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

The bottom line is there's no money in "Nostalgia" racing. Sure the big boys of Nostalgia get paid to show up, at events like Bakersfield's Nitro Nights. If you're looking to make money, look somewhere else. I built a Gasser, raced it and wanted to step up to a fuel class. I work and have a family so there's not a bunch of money floating around. I've sold off every part or project that's not going into a fuel car. I took some great advise some years ago about having two bank accounts. One for family and one for racing. Never take money out of the family account to put in to the car. It's all for the love of it. We plan to race the car as my racing partners and I can pay our way. All because we love this stuff and the sound of a fuel motor starting up on the line at Bakersfield or some other track makes it worth every last cent.

22. jetboatmama

jetboatmama

23. dan griffin

dan griffin

If you do win some money the first place it goes is for beer and pizza for your crew.

24. dan griffin

dan griffin

I am reliving my Wastedchildhood.

25. brandon

brandon

I bracket raced mine weekly for over 4 years.....ran it a half dozen times for trophy....alwas fun to race