Register now to get rid of these ads!

Contraption

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ArtGeco, Mar 14, 2012.

1. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

I just went through this whole thread...... We, as HAMBer's, should be ashamed of ourselves. The hacked out front crossmember that was then "improved" by welding in a chunk of square tubing should have been our first clue. "We" acknowledged the bad shackles, but not the bad thinking. Did "we" allow another rat rod to show it's face?!? There was so much promise in the first part of the build. Then these freak show pics! What did "we" allow? Have we become soft? Complasent? Uncaring? Apathic? We know the way, but are we really steadfast in our keeping our "traditional" hot rods traditional?
    I am the first hypocrite with my quad 4 build, but the "ratting" that as now shown itself, should it be left to go?

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I didn't let it go :)

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

He has been back lately but is obviously lying low, too embarassed to continue the updates of this thing.

That is probably a good thing for us. ;)

4. looks good ........

5. castleman1111

castleman1111

lol!!! critics abound!!! i noticed the dudes screen name.....this may be more art than function? i'm sure similar comments were made when a certain "rat fink" gentleman was creating some of his "non-traditional" out of this world rides. lmao!!! KEEP GOIN' BRO!! WANT TO SEE WHERE THIS RIDE GOES!!!!! [​IMG]

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Art :rolleyes: ?? Fill it full of dirt and manure and plant flowers in it and it will be the ugliest flower planter we have ever seen. :D

7. Beau

Beau

But you judge my buddies '53 Ford with the Corvair engine?

Goofball. You are weird. :rolleyes:

8. Saw this coming a mile off.............................

and......
    Must say I gotta start surfing CL for Flathead V8s

9. I can't tell if you are being serious or not. You've posted so many times talking down what he is doing it's really getting old... Honestly this is why I hate posting anything of my own of this site. A bunch of you folks seem to have a clouded view of the term "traditional" around here. I have seen many cars that were built in the late 50s and early 60s that were built in a similar fashion. We have the ability now to look back on all those builds of that time period and pick and choose what is "traditional" and what is not. That's fine and all but it gets kind of ridiculous at times. I commend the builder for not even responding to all of this hate, he is taking time out of his day to share his creation with the world and no one even has a single nice thing to say to him...

I am following this thread because I enjoy the way he is going about making his car stand out from the crowd. There is actually some good information here for someone like myself who does not know anything about taking flathead v8s apart and I can say I have learned a thing or two from it. I realize that no one will see it the same way as me and I will no doubt get flamed for even commenting this. I honestly don't care I respect this man's build and I hope he keeps updating it because I always check for progress.

I apologize for adding to the drama but I feel someone has to say it...

10. castleman1111

castleman1111

AMEN--- FORD MIKE!!!! AMEN!!!![​IMG]

11. T-DeWitt

T-DeWitt

I second you on this one!Keep on going Terry,At least it don't have Radials on it!

12. Stop. Just, Stop. If you are going to be that juvenile you should just keep those comments to yourself. Maybe this was one of those jokes that was funny when you thought of it but not when it came out...

If the build isn't your style that's why theres a big red X in the upper right of your screen. Please next time use it instead of commenting.

13. T-DeWitt

T-DeWitt

I'm pretty sure that this is what he is after.Boling brother early Irons Modified.I guess if you consider this a rat rod.[​IMG]

14. Picture missing?

15. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Those are kool rear skins, I presume they're 16s. What are they and what did they set you back????

P.S Bravo to you Ford Mike. How much more "Traditional" can you get then by using original parts and doing a good job at bringing them back to life. The only crap I see here is what is coming out of the A holes cluttering up this thread.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  16. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

You I sure did, and if you look at T-DeWitt's post you will see what I am thinking this builder is going for, if I am wrong and it goes the other way then I will call this one what it is at that point also, but I will wait and see where it goes, your buddys car had some decent metal work in it, however he could have used that good metal work and build a much better car with his skills, he could have chopped the car and converted it to a 2 door with a carson top had a flattie or some other v-8 in the car with a 5 or 6-speed to help fuel mileage or a mild 6 with a 5-speed would have been cool, then had a HAMB friendly build and a very cool car that would have been much more acceptable on here, his car was a fine car just not for this site, you know that as well as I do, just you will not admit it. Jim

17. Billy_Bottle_Caps

Billy_Bottle_Caps

I am enjoying the build keep posting man

18. i too am enjoying this. Anything new?

19. Beau

Beau

The difference is that this car is set-up properly so it can be driven.

The car being built has all the wrong angles going on with the bones and the shackles are not going to work like that.

Maybe he doesn't know. Not saying I do,either. But this is what I have learned here.

So the front spring should be at 7*. Meaning it pretty much travels in a vertical direction as the spring compresses. The rear spring (as far as I know) perpendicular to the ground. You want the bones to run in the flattest arc you can (meaning the longer the bone, the less of an arc). You will have spring bind if you are able to get the shackles to work like they should.

Does this make sense?

[​IMG]

It's quite clear that the engine is going to be difficult to install because of the angle of the "upsweep" you chose, without adding any length. You effectively shortened the frame.

Here's an idea how much a channeled AV8 has without an upsweep. Notice the firewall to grill length, and the recess in the firewall. Your's will likely need to be through the top of the cowl/gas tank.

[​IMG]

This is how you will need to set up your steering. Again, the angles mean a lot here.

[​IMG]

The frame, wheels, tires, springs, engine, transmission and axles all have to be set up to work with each other, at as close to the proper angles as you can get them (my shop floor aint perfect either). It's a lot of work! Certainly the most exhausting thing I have had to learn and do.

Your car does have potential, you just need to deal with the people on here for a while before you learn something, or you figure out how to search and do research. There's much more to it than just making it look like the picture in the magazine. We can all see your vision, but it's time to start coming down from the buzz. It's reality now. It needs to work and be safe.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  20. bustedwrench

bustedwrench

For those who critisize I have a question. Did everything you have ever done or built turn out perfect on the first attempt? Have you never had to rethink or redo anything you've ever tried? The man is making parts and building his vision of what a hot rod should be and gets thrashed by a bunch of key board badasses when he comes here to share his efforts and progress. If you see something that isn't quite right why is it so hard to offer a little advice? Maybe a pointer or two,instead of ridicule. I know there are a lot of professional builders on here but there are a lot of us who do this as a hobby. It's a damn shame when you try to share your enthusiasm and progress and this is the way you are treated.

21. Beau

Beau

Mine is not perfect. This is my first time. I did I right so I won't have to redo it (unless I get smaller front tires :) )

22. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek:Now this could get interesting.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

23. As with others im not really sure about your chassis kickup at the front, or the lack of frame to mount your engine. But saying that don't be put off by these narrow minded pricks and their insults on here and keep on posting as im sure theres a hell of a lot of people on here eager to see your progress. Hot rodding is all about individuallity and for my mind alot of these "Traditional" cars pretty much start looking the same.
    Just a word of warning DON'T go down the rat rod route on this site, or even dare refer to your car as one as you will be delt to by all the members on here.

24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahahahahahahahahahaha...snort snort...

Oh stop...hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee hee...snort...

What's this "us"? Oh...the cool guys. You're one now? Congrats!

As he should be! Mission accomplished.

Truer words were never spoken.

25. Yip its arseholes that make comments like that that give us all a bad name!!

26. T-DeWitt

T-DeWitt

Thanks This is what needs to go on here,help a guy learn what he is doing wrong not just rag him and call it a rat.Thanks for the good info.

27. Kinky6

Kinky6

Beau, I have to applaud your reasoned critique on the OP's project. While you are hardly a pro builder yourself, I've watched your build, and your efforts to do the job the right way. Myself, I'm mostly doing a lot of watching and learning for now.

I don't want to see this thread closed due to drama. It would better serve as a positive discussion of the best methods on how to "engineer" one of these modifieds while still allowing for an individual's creativity in combining the usual batch of parts.

Some of the real concerns with the "Contraption" are the square tube front crossmember, the too-short front spring and the over-size shackles that are being used to compensate for them, the odd angles of the 'bones brought on by the frame construction, and whatever effect that the overall frame set-up may have on the engine mounting and drive-line position.

Anything else is pretty much a matter of indivdual taste, as I see it. If some of these engineering issues can be resolved, this still has potential to be a cool little modified, without even a whiff of rat piss to it. Would anyone from OZ care to comment on what one of your automotive construction engineers would have to say about the Contraption? I understand that your builds have to pass muster at several points during the build.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

28. If you crash hard enough to rupture the tank the gasoline in your lap is going to be the least of your problems. :rolleyes:

29. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I've been watching this build too. Keep going and don't let the asshats chase you away..

Beau gave you some pearls of wisdom, use it.

30. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's right. And serves no good purpose. Just a futile, transparent attempt to elevate themselves by squashing others. Maybe the OP could use some guidance, but there's a right and a wrong way to say something. No reason to offend and discourage him.

ArtGeco, I encourage you to continue. I think you actually have some pretty good skills. And I'm impressed by your get-er-done attitude and building something from almost nothing. Take some of the conststructive criticism and seriously consider making some changes in regard to mechanical feasibility, aesthetics, and tradition...and disregard the mean comments.