Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 63 Falcon Build Thread - Stockcar for the Street

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nash510, Feb 27, 2013.

1. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

I had cut the dashboard out and had planned to make a simple flat dash with a flat instrument panel. But the orginal dash had such a distictive shape I decided to cut it in half lengthwise and weld it back in. I then made and instrument panel and a filler panel for the passenger side.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

What a great looking car! Definitely not one of the common Falcon builds, and the fab work is super! I like the way you stitched the floor panels together. It's neat and clean, and doesn't look at all like it was done because you didn't have access to a large sheetmetal brake.
    Yes, the engine isn't traditional, but it's a great choice for a car that can be driven anywhere without worries. I'm just starting a '63 Falcon, but going where you came from; a gasser. Henry Ford will be rolling over in his grave when I drop the big block Chevy into the engine bay! ;)

3. barstowpo

barstowpo

This car is so amazing. I wish I had the skills to tackle such a project. I would like to see this in person some day. Good engine choice too.

4. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Hey Tom the dash looks cool , autometer phantom gauges ? Tintop

5. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I'm not usually a fan of old race cars converted to street cars but your approach is really going to turn out great. I love the look!

6. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Oh man, this is freaking sweet. I love the way it is turning out.

7. spot

spot
    from usa

Man I love it. Keep going!
    x2 on the Wood Bros. colors!

8. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

If you are thinking steel wheels ? Do it , paint em black with Wood Brothers red and white. , Friggin Kool look !!!!!!

9. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

That's right - Speedo, tach, oil pressure, water temp, volt, fuel level.

10. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

Very cool, nice work.

11. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

Aside from the rust, the only real damage to the car was the left rear quarter. I decided to just cut it all out and replace with an after market quarter and a taillight section from the bone yard.

Attached Files:

12. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Tom you crafty fellar, I had to do the same, lots of fun , you do good work , thanks for sharing tintop

13. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

Body modifications were limited to the fenders and the hood. Once I had the radius I liked, 3/16 inch round stock was welded to the opening for a more finished look. Then "fillers" were made for where the coves of the body are. Removing the inner rear fender wells opened up the rocker panels from front to back so "plugs" for both sides had to be made and welded in.

The body was lowered so far that I had to raise the middle of hood to clear the engine. This was an unwelcome surprise and I really don't like the result. But I have another hood laying around I may try something else on.

Attached Files:

14. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

64Cyclone - If you decide to do this let me know. I have the perfect donor car. Picked it up a few months ago and I'm not sure what to do with it.

Thanks again to everyone else for your words of encouragement.

Attached Files:

15. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

Because of the width of the engine there was no room for the brake and clutch master cylinders on the firewall. Therefore I had to go with the Wilwood reverse mount pedals. The reservoirs are also under the dash and are accessible via an access panel in the top of the dash.

Attached Files:

16. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

One thing leads to another. My pedal box got in the way of the windshield wiper motor which I had to relocate to the right about 3 and a half inches.

Attached Files:

17. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

The relocated wiper motor interfered with the hydraulic clutch line I had installed months earlier so it had be relocated from the top of the transmission tunnel to the side.

Attached Files:

18. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

hey Tom -sounds like you must run into the same issues I had, I had to relocate wiper motor to pass. side, ended up being the worst 3 weeks of the whole build,I like the pedal setup you have, trick stuff , nicely done tintop:cool::cool:

19. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Even though it is a street car, you need to post a similar video to this..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD48OX1wu14

Also take note, in '63 Woods Brothers Galaxie was Red on the bottom and White on the top. Although I prefer The white bottom and red top myself.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  20. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

21. AHotRod

AHotRod

I love how your building the Falcon, I wish we would see more of the Stock Car / Road Racing styles of builds.
    Glenn

22. rustang

rustang

This is a really cool build.....loved those cars I saw every Sat. night growing up as a kid..... the 5.0 Coyote, even if non-traditional, is an awesome motor....this thing will literally fly, get great mileage, and be reliable for 100K miles.....best of all the exhaust note will be wicked.....I'm liking this...
    Tom

23. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Hey , wondering if you have any pics of the floater rear end , thanks tintop

24. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

Here you go. I actually just took it out today. I also included another pic of the exhaust.

Attached Files:

25. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

tom -that is one very creative exhaust system you built, I like very..... much ,thanks:D:D:D

26. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

Hey Nash - hope u are thrashing on your little road race rocket ship !

27. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

As we speak. You?

28. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

No, I am in Detroit , at the autorama cobo hall car show, no stock cars for the street here, at least I have not seen any yet !

29. nash510

nash510
    from Vista, CA

Spent the last few days breaking it all back down. Lots of little "to-do's" before bodywork begins.

Attached Files:

30. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Nice progress there, your moving along very quick on this project! I better go do some more work on my one and try catch up!

Just found these pictures, thought you might like to see them, its an Australian Falcon circuit race car from back in the day :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gotta love the lean the driver is on!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013