Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 Chevy Nomad wagon build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959Nomad, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Gman0046

Gman0046

MoboMac, not sure about repops but wagon sill plates are on eBay regularly.

2. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Yes they are the same.

Yep they are sold often enough. Check with Carl (CARLK60) he has a ton of 59/50 full size Chevy parts, see some of his post on the previous page. He is also currently parting out a 59 wagon.

3. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Decided it was time to do something that did not involve sanding or filler.
    Have been picking up the parts to make up a nearly new rear crank and lock assembly.
    Since the old one was not quite factory, it took a little to see how it should have been

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  4. Rushrod

Rushrod

Nice project... We are working on a '59 Brookwood 2 door wagon..... Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a pair of rear tail lamp bezels for one of these wagons????

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

Rushrod, again don't over look eBay as a source of parts. I've found things on there I couldn't find elsewhere. Right now there are 59 wagon tail light bezels up for auction on eBay. eBay item # 271143382143. They are not cheap but are available. Also I believe El Caminos will fit wagons as well. Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  6. 59brokewood

59brokewood

Great progress 1959 nomad, she is looking nice and solid now. I'm sure it is a challenge in MN to have anything rust free. Your rear gate crank/lock looks great! The blue epoxy looks great on there.

Rushrod, look for the bezels for an el camino on ebay. Same thing and usually more sold as el camino pieces than wagon pieces. I saw some new lenses somewhere last year but they want $200 for them where the car pieces were only $20 or so. Ouch!! definitely need some more aftermarket support for the 59 wagons! Do you have a build on the one you are working on??

7. El59Camino

El59Camino
    from Finland

Looking good. Great progress.

8. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks guys, it is looking like the next phase may be trim clean up and straightening, as it is not looking too good for painting in the next few weeks. it is providing a nice change of pace with a short start to finish on each piece.

9. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

one step forward two steps back?
    welded some new studs on tho the hood trim "eyebrow" pieces, had 1 left on a total of 4 parts. the lower trim pieces were total rust outs so i made some new ones
    started the car only to fine the heated core is leaking. fortunately there was nothing on the floor. pulled the right fender and the heater box to get the core out.

Attached Files:

10. The 59 Source

The 59 Source
    from PNW

Whats your plan for replacement? I havent found anyone that sells them.

11. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Well they can be found and run $250 to $300. The good news is a new one will not be needed.
    As it turns out, either there was a loose clamp or something between the hose and the pipe. Once i saw the cost I thought it would good to see first if the "J-B Weld solution" may be in order. Once the housing and coil was pulled, the coil was set up over a bucket to see if a could leak could be found. As it turned out, it was dry as can be, so I ran the car several times over 3 days to be sure. Since the housing was out, the strip and repainting the inside housing seemed to be the only way to go.
    Here are a few pictures.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  12. The 59 Source

The 59 Source
    from PNW

Nice, glad it was an easy fix.

13. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

It's OK when you find more stuff to fix, now you know it is repaired and ready.

Keep up the great work.

14. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

The past week some progress was made. Had to pull the fenders because some plugs and the windshield drains were forgotten but they are all set now.
    Repaired a rust hole in the tailgate trim, worked out the most of the dents and got it ready to paint. Also started prepping a spare set of gauge pods that will get painted the same color as the roof (leaning towards Arctic White).

Attached Files:

15. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Part of the keep it moving plan is to pick some short tasks and get them done.
    Went after the vent windows, cleaned up the rust, polished the chrome and replaced the seals. The glass is not too good, but it can be replaced later.

Saw a new quote that can be applied to the build
    "Progress means getting nearer to the place you want to be." C.S. Lewis

Attached Files:

16. That is definately progress. Looking good.

17. I have a question about your frame swap...I'm about to start a 59 Pontiac wagon but want to swap the frame out for the frame that's under my 59 Pontiac 4 door flat top. The flat top is a Canadian car, so its basically a Chevy frame. Other than moving some body mounts, was yours a big deal to do? The Pontiac frame has different suspension and I'd rather have the Chevy stuff to deal with since I will be bagging the wagon. I'm gonna pick the cars up in a couple weeks when I'm home on leave, but won't be getting started for a bit....I still have to finish my Studebaker!

18. Sauli

Sauli

No don´t do that. Two different wheelbases, plus two different track widths.
    The "Chevy" frame in the Canadian "flattop" has a 119" WB. The US-Pontiac frame is longer in both overall length and the WB by several inches. Just fit the "bags" on the Pontiac frame, the suspensions on both frames are similar in design, and designed to be had with air suspension from the factory to start with.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  19. It looks like that's what I'm gonna do...I guess I was trying to reinvent the wheel!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

20. layedout49

layedout49

Love the 59 wagons

21. Sauli

Sauli

Looking good from here, the fresh blue epoxy on the body and the satin black on Your heater items! I like Your attention to detail, esp.knowing what You initially started out with!
    Hey did You ever locate those new "bathtub" -clips for Your side trim, BTW?

22. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks
    It looks like Sauli gave you the answer.
    I'm not to fluent Pontiac frames. the 59 to 64 Chevy X-Frames seemed to be very similar i basically moves some of the mounts and made a new rear piece
    me too (most days at least)
    Thanks Sauli, still planning to have it street-able by summer (June 21st to be specific).
    Yes i did find the clips through a lead from a fellow HAMBer. Let me know if you need to get the contact.

thanks to all for the encouragement.

23. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Had a setback last week when the car was idling. it would appear the tranny was not fully locked into part and it "clunked into reverse" backing up with the doors all open. the rear passengers hit a rack and sprung the door prior to hitting the rear wall (~3 feet total travel) i had run it the same way a several times the previous month. good reminder to be careful and have the emergency brake on.
    on the plus side, caused me to fix yet another bad spot i was planning to "do later"

Attached Files:

24. Life is funny, but not always "HA HA HA" funny. Keep the faith. If you think you can, carry the flag!

25. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

it actually was kind of funny, almost like slow motion (remember it is a 235) with a bit if a sick feeling once i pulled it away from the rear of the shop.
    i think it will be okay if i can get it realigned.

26. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

After a few tries, and a refresher on door adjustment, i have it back on lined up.
    several lessons learned and back on track.

Attached Files:

27. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

made some headlight seals, since i could not find any. got a 2' x 5' piece for $12 and plenty of leftovers for others down the road

Attached Files:

28. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

Looking good and you are making great progress. Keep it up.

Funny as I spent Saturday rebuilding headlights and taillights for one of my 59 projects!

29. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

thanks, i am on "restricted duty" until I finish the bath room remodel, then it is full bore with some vacation days as needed to get the body done in time for Back to the 50's in St. Paul.
    been ordering some parts that are easy to find and can't make (yes i know it is a relative term and anything could be made).
    did order a bath tub clip tool from Auto City Glass in Isanti MN.
    sounds like it is sold for 58's but the size and range should be correct, i will post a update once it is proven to work.

30. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota