Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Switching gears. A vintage Camper

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot-rod roadster, Jan 11, 2013.

1. BadLuck

BadLuck

ive had it almost 4 years.. bought it for $350.. but it was a yellowy white color with a dark brown stripe around it.. someone painted over the original color scheme with house paint. it was pretty ugly..but i knew what it could turn into to.. it was missing a wing.. i just made one out of wood and a piece of aluminum for now.. i see them on ebay for lots of $$... i reupholstered the dinette seats..and did a checkerboard floor.. i made a screen door and added retractable steps under the door.. still have lots to do.. but we go camping in it all the time.. so i havent really done much more lately! its cool going places and people with brand new big dollar motor homes and trailer come over and say how cool my $350 trailer is haha! ill keep an eye out for parts for you.. im always looking to... have fun.. you got yourself a cool trailer there buddy. CJ

before and after!

Attached Files:

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It is not hard to install a home air conditioner in an older trailer in a way that does not spoil the looks or originality. Mobiltec Larry show how it's done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFn_XLpZD0U

He has a lot of excellent videos on restoring old trailers.

If the trailer is an older model, not too large or heavy, it should not make much difference to your mileage, maybe 2 MPG less. If you keep your speed down to 55 or 60 you burn very little extra gas. There was some discussion on this subject on an Airstream trailer board. Some people were quite surprised how much difference there was between driving 70 and driving 55 with a trailer in tow. They figured they could save a couple of hundred $$$$ in fuel on a long trip, just by starting a little earlier and spending a extra half hour or hour on the road. And the Airstream trailers are quite streamlined.

55 seems to be the best speed for mileage. Slower than that you save little or nothing, go over 60 and you start to see your mileage drop.

3. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Thanks for putting that up Rusty. Great videos

4. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

the camper comes in the garage next to finish up a few things. Cabinet door, need to make a new table, vintage formica counter and table tops, paint appliances and install the correct taillights. Gary

5. So, I posted a few pics before of the aladdin I picked up, I was just gonna do a "few" little things to it before the April trip to Calif, this is what I ended up doing, got a long way to go with a short time to get there, but what a difference.

Attached Files:

6. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Wow nice job Moparman. Love the checkerboard floor and for me you can't get enough turquoise in these things... Sweeeeet, Gary

7. D-man313

D-man313

Just did the same thing to a old Scotty. Waiting for the weather to turn back nice. So we can wrap it with aluminum. ImageUploadedByTJJ1362063598.636391.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1362063608.229321.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1362063644.215755.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1362063654.585016.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1362063672.755647.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1362063688.871809.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Nice stuff D-man. Im sure that was a shit ton of work. The end result will all be worth it. Nice trailer, can't wait to see the finished pic's. Gary

9. Brandi

Brandi

LOVE LOVE LOVE that Turquoise range.

10. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Time to take these two for a little test run and see how they do together. Then move the trailer into the garage and get started on a few changes.

Attached Files:

11. great lookin combo

12. Looks good Gary. I sold one of those a couple years ago, thought i was going to restore it and never got to it. Keep up the good work
    Mark

13. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Nice job. Just let me know if you want to double your purchase price.........

14. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Damn wish ida known that Mark. Probably would have been interested.

Hahahaha ok thanks. Ill keep you posted

15. D-man313

D-man313

Thanks.
    It took alot but in the end it will be worth it. Your combo looks great, have fun with it.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

16. tooslow54

tooslow54

Cool thread. Gonna have to get pics of my Cardinal that we picked up a few years ago. Right now I pull it behind my Jeep but plans are to put a hitch on both my Bel Air and Galaxie

17. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Nice nothing cooler than a vintage car/camper combo. Put up some pic's. Gary

18. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Its finally done. Just need some nice weather now to get out and enjoy it. Gary

Attached Files:

19. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Turned out NICE! man,enjoy... Rob

20. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

That looks great! Come on camping season

21. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

nice job i love the old campers cant wait for camping season

Attached Files:

22. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Thanks guys, can't wait for camping season either. Bet your rig catches some attention when you pull into the campgrounds

23. Gator

Gator

Just picked up a Shasta 'Compact' (10 footer) at a reasonable price - and the guy even delivered it! It's a later 60's model. I plan on reforming the top front and rear so it looks more like the earlier models.

Pretty solid overall, stove, oven, lights, sink all work OK, icebox & holding tank intact, mostly just needs cosmetics. I do have to replace the side window and redo the lounge/table area. The PO made a permanent full sized bed where the drop table was!

[​IMG]

24. wsdad

wsdad

Wings ----->[​IMG]

You were very wise to put the rear stabilizer wings on your trailer before driving it very much. They keep it from fish-tailing at speeds over 175mph. I wish I would have listened.

[​IMG] <-----No wings

This is what happens when you don't have the rear stabilizer wings on your Shasta camper.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7470712&highlight=shasta#post7470712

In all seriousness, I think the wings really define the trailer's style. I love them! You have a terrific looking trailer there.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  25. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Thanks. Im with ya on the wings. They add so much to it. Gary

26. Its beautiful!!!! I just finished mine 3 weeks ago and took it on a two week, 2200 mile trip to California and back to Washington. flawless and fun!!!!!!

27. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

That rocks M-Man. Cant wait to get mine out on the road. Gary

28. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

You could of painted it brown. :( .......:cool:

29. old rat

old rat

I have a 66 Shasta Compact that I updated the interior on. Removed sink, stove/oven, water tank. It made the tongue weight too light. Moved the spare from rear bumper to tounge and still needs a bit more weight to keep it from getting squirly, may have to add some steel plate up front somehow. Have also built 5 Teardrop campers and love them. Anyone can build a TD. I love camping but don't like to sleep on the ground. Will build another TD to tow behind my P15 Plymouth soon.

30. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Tear drops are cool, but why'd you remove the appliances from your Shasta ??? Gary