Register now to get rid of these ads!

leaf spring help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big fluffy, Feb 27, 2013.

1. big fluffy

big fluffy

I'm building a 49 f1. I want to lower it but i have stock suspension. Flamin' suggested finding a way to put axle on top of the leafs but doesn't know how low it will lower my truck. Any info or pics will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Clayton

2. doing that would get you atleast 4 inches maybe/ probably more

you could do what my friend did with his 69 d100 he pulled 2 of the smaller leafs out of each side dropped his 21/2 -3 inches didnt effect the ride or anything else

3. kracker36

kracker36

Yep, usually removing a couple of leafs will help the ride as well.

4. Willy301

Willy301

You can put the axle on top of the springs to gain some drop, but you will need to consider notching the frame to maintain some suspension travel. You will also need to change the shock mounts so that the shock doesn't bottom or top out on your actual suspension travel once you get the lowering done.

5. big fluffy

big fluffy

I've already taken some leafs out but id like it be lower.

Willy301 thanks for the help. will that change the ride quality or stay the same?

6. Window Licker

Window Licker

flipping the axle shouldnt have much effect on ride quality. do a search you should find many examples and pictures.

7. big fluffy

big fluffy

Window licker, thats why i posted on here hoping someone had some pictures to post.

8. mitchsfab

mitchsfab

You could flip the main leaf. That should drop you about 2"-2 1/2". Look for a dropped axle. That should get you another 3" or so.

9. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

On my chevy,I did the dropped axle. Love the results and ride, flipped the rear added a notch also.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  10. do you mean the front or the rear? i thought you were asking about the front

11. big fluffy

big fluffy

Im wondering about both.

12. A dropped axle is going to be easiest and cheapest in the long run. I pulled some leaves and de-arched my front springs to drop mine enough for me.
    If you put the front axle on top of the springs you will need a frame notch, you may also have tie rod clearance issues and bumpsteer if you don't relocate the steering box.
    I would take a serious look at the Jag IFS.....

13. Willy301

Willy301

Removing the springs will affect the ride, moving the axle above the springs would not. Changing the the shocks just makes them continue to work correctly. This is more about the rear. I have not played much with the front, may need to find a dropped axle setup for that. Flipping a front axle would mess up your kingpin set up and steering geometry.

14. big fluffy

big fluffy

Which jags front end will work best for my 49? if i go that route

15. 73RR

73RR