Register now to get rid of these ads!

True Duels, X pipe or H pipe on a 53 Flathead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jhaas63, Feb 27, 2013.

1. jhaas63

jhaas63

Did a search and didn't come up with much. I am doing a custom duel exhaust on my flathead in my 53 f100. Should I just run true duels or an X pipe or H pipe?

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

It depends on how much noise you want to make.

3. jhaas63

jhaas63

I ordered Red's long tube headers. I was kicking around the idea of just doing straight pipes but I don't want to annoy my neighbors. I live in the damn city.

4. JWL's book has all the info you need about this. Dozens (literally) of dyno pulls on a flathead. Indispensable for anyone with a flattie V8.

5. 87Heaven

87Heaven

It's your truck you can do what you want. If you want to do and X or H to showcase your tallent then by all means do it and be proud.

At the same time you will not see any performance increase with either.
    You have a motor that has two cylenders on each side that share an exhaust port. You have two cylinders on each side that fire consecutivley.
    If you had a full load in that flattie my opinion is it still wouldnt help.

What will happen with a crossover pipe is you mello (mute)out the exhaust note.
    Think of that flattie you heard once that sounded so good you couldnt get that sound out of your head!

Chances are it had two pipes, two small mufflers and no crossover:):)

Good luck with your project. Have fun with it whichever way you go

I just noticed your post about reds long tube headers. Good choice. I ran mine with no mufflers for a while but I think it actually sounded and ran better with a couple short Smitthy's.:):)

6. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

REAL duals.....The tried and true flathead exhaust system !!!

4TTRUK

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

IMHO, the flathead has just about the best sounding exhaust note, with REAL duals, glass or steelpacks. (And I'm not much of a flathead fan, in general)
    An H or X pipe pretty much ruins the sound of it.

8. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Back in the day when the flathead was the only common V-8 on the streets and guys ran those duals that sounded so good, nobody had ever heard of an "H" or "X" pipe. My brother had a '53 coupe with headers and Truetones-all you had to do was breathe on the throttle and you got that "wop-wop-wop" sound.

9. jhaas63

jhaas63

Thanks for all the advice...true duels is it boys.

10. 29tudor

29tudor