Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much whould you pay for this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TylerWest, Feb 27, 2013.

1. TylerWest

TylerWest
    from Mobile, Al

Its a 53 chevy that can be driven anywere. It has a 235 inline 6 that runs good and everything has been converted to 12 volt. It has front disk brakes and the rear frame has been c channeled for bags but the bags havnt been put on yet. It does have a good bit of rust in rhe normal places but nothing major. I qas just wanting to get u guys opinion on it and see ho much you think its worth.

Attached Files:

2. A Rodder

A Rodder

3. gemcityrenegade

gemcityrenegade

IMO Most I'd pay is 1000 or 1500 round here in Ohio.. Runs but rusty... Some guy put a bunch of stuff and work in it. Still rusty and I can make anything run..

4. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

What does the guy want for it? Figure out what a stock truck might be worth in that condition and factor in all of the parts that he put into it. Then you have an idea what it's worth, that would be a fair assessment of it's value.

5. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

When I see a description including chassis mods for bags and rust in the usual....I give it a pass.

6. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Seeing as I know these trucks like the back of my hand lemme put that "little bit of rust in the normal places" thing in perspective....

That means inner and outer cab corners, inner and outer cowl dogleg as well as the support that goes between the two to mount the front fender, both rockers and at a minimum the A post on the passenger side, floors, at a minimum the lower part of the firewall, the inner lip of all the fenders and possibly the headlight eyebrows....oh and don't forget the rain gutter and strips of the roof closest to em.....OH and i forgot about the lower part of the doors....inner and outter....In addition to the cracks that are often found on the frame just behind the further most point of the firewall....

Ask me how I know ( and mine was a New Mexico truck) that said seeing as I own one I always look at em and the majority of them have the problems I just listed....some worse than others.

IMHO, write off the wiring right off the bat and redo it....just judging by the outward appearance it's likely cobbled....engine, trans and rearend = a big unknown. Suspension with the notch for future suspension work is likley worn or not been changed much which equals not a positive....

It is running and driving and that's a big plus....if you take a day or two project at a time you can continue to drive it....

Now mind you I'm not trying to be a negative nelly here....I love these trucks and the current support for them is amazing....BUT it kinda seems like it's one of those projects that needs one of everything (like mine)

That said, I wouldn't give more than $1800 for it prob more along the lines of $1500

7. TylerWest

TylerWest
    from Mobile, Al

He is asking 4g but im sure I could get him down some more but just not aure if its worth my time even if I could gwt it dor around 2 but thats why I ask you guys

8. firingorder1

firingorder1

Just make sure, when you are talking to him, that you don't refer to the rust as patina or the price will go through the roof!

9. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

10. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Weird..
    A running driving AD chevy truck with disc brakes would bring 4k-4500 all day around here.
    All day
    Jesus, guys are getting 2500+ for barn/field/total projects around here.

I just sold a non-running 55 GMC first series with a sbc/auto, but as said, non running, for 5k.

11. ......not to mention a mis-matched set of wheels, cracked windshield and looks like the rear window is fogging (so really needs some new glass).
    Is the steering tight? Just a few other things to consider.

12. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

The truck is 60 years old now, what do you expect??. Wheels are no big deal. All new glass will run about 350. I would offer 3,500.

13. Buzznut

Buzznut

Here in California that's a $3,500 truck all day long. Not sure where you can get a truck like that for $1,500, but please point me in the right direction and I'll be there with a long-haul flatbed and enough cash to buy five of them.

14. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

that fast & loud guy would probably pay $7,500 for it

15. No doubt! Then put another $7500.00 into it and sell it for $5000.00. Worth about $3500.00 around here.

16. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Check all the things Salty talked about, if you still want it $2500/$3000, around here the 5 windows bring more money

17. pumpman

pumpman

Here in Michigan that truck would be considered in pretty good shape. Rust is our staple when it comes to old cars around here. But I agree with Salty the more you look the more you find and that is a good thing. The thing that would have me most curious is the work that has been done on frame. I would spend some quality time under that thing being up close and personal with it. Four grand, no way, but if you really want it, two max in my opinion.

18. I'd go no more than $1,750. A modded project is exactly that. You have no idea what is really there until you tear into it.

19. $1,500 max. HRP

20. 4 grand up here , with the proper paperwork, running, driving, stopping, steering, it would sell pretty quickly. lot of weekend "farmers" from the city would love to put a bail of hay in the back and drive it down to starbucks to get their doublewammylattecapochino.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  21. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Keep in mind that those trucks are easy and cheap to fix. Whether you would want to restore it or modify it, there's tons of parts available for those trucks.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As I well know.

It wasn't all that long ago that I wouldn't have even gone to look at a truck that was that rusty as a 50.00 parts truck and I have bought a lot of AD trucks for 100 bucks or less over the years. I don't like rust and sure as hell don't think it adds any value to a truck as "patina" it's the sign of neglect and a sign that you are going to have to spend a lot of time and money to fix it.

I'm seeing a 1500 truck that is going to take at least 4k in parts and a lot of hours to bring up to a decent level along with what ever else you do to it. The C'd frame is only worth something if you intend to bag it. The disk brakes add what ever their cost is/was if that. The 235 is only worth something if you want to run it or if you have a ready market for it.

If what you want in the end is an AD truck with an I beam axle, disk brakes and you intend to lower it a lot then it might be worth around 2500 or a little more.

23. The custom lettering on the hood and front bumper has to add at least $500. :)

24. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

I'm certainly no expert on those trucks but in my corner of the world that's a 1500-1800 truck.

25. Bagged50Buick

Bagged50Buick

I agree with most on here....$1500-1800 bucks tops.

26. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

But 4k is not bad for parts and H.A.M.Bers like to get their hands dirty. Of course the more modification that's done (Disc Brakes, Tilt Wheel, AC, etc......etc.....) the higher the cost will be. On my 51, when all said and done, I will have invested 10k for a ground up restore job. I have done all the labor myself except for the upholstery and chrome.
    If I had done a car, I would have spent twice as much. Those old trucks are easy to work on and with small budget, have a nice looking truck.

27. Location, location, location... doesn't just apply to real estate.
    $2,000-$2,500

28. Jamoke

Jamoke

$1800 tops I would start out at $1200 and go from there

29. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

yea, than clearcoat over the rust and sell it to some retard for 25grand... HE GOT 25 GRAND FOR A TURD BROWN MODEL A BANGER! I wish I could find buyers like that. :)

30. Curt B

Curt B

I agree with those who said 2K tops. I spent $1200 on patch panels for my cab.