Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2013 Meltdown Drags thread, real vintage drag meet, July 20-21 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Feb 13, 2013.

1. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

I'll play Here is how mine looks now, and how I plan to race it!

Attached Files:

2. camchuck

camchuck

In progress. 292 hilborn 4 speed. NHRA 8.90 cert.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  3. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Camchuck...NICE!!! If you plan to attend, don't forget to send pics including rear wheels...for pre-registration....looks great!!!

4. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Nice. I hope you run it on those slicks too. You won't believe how sticky the track is even on stiff wall tires.

5. camchuck

camchuck

Here's the wheel

Attached Files:

6. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

7. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

How often do you check your email for people that submitted entries? I sent mine a couple days ago, and still haven't heard anything back. Does it take a couple days for you to reply? Just making sure I'm in!!! Can't wait!!!

8. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Do I need to send in a pic of my car Eric? It's the one in the video.....:)

9. Hellfish

Hellfish

I'm registered! Now I just need to make sure the car makes it...

10. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Leadsled - my Hotmail box shutdown would not take anymore emails, so I think we lost a few.

Can you please re-send to www.meltdowndrags.com Sorry for the hassle, swamped.

Johnny...will email you one later tonite when I get home.

11. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Yes you'll need to resubmit it with the wheels you are going to race with.....unless you'll still have the set of Johns on it......:D:D:D

12. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Yup, same set of Johns. No one else will get that joke.... Might have me some wires or steelies by then.... Stay tuned.

13. Hell I might trailer "Spinn'in Wheels" up there and put it in the unfinished section. Hmm...

14. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Do It !!!

15. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Pre-registered last week and this is what I'll be running. The engine was originally built in about 1968, and the driveline has been together since 1977, when I first put the car together...283 bored out to 301, Muncie 4 speed and 4:56 rear end.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  16. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Nice. I say register it and if need be run two different classes and drive both.
    I don't know why but I love 59 & 60 chevys.

www.meltdowndrags.com

17. Here is a poster ready to go to the printer.

[​IMG]

18. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Red X only for me

19. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Hey! That's Bob's Willys "Barney" in the right lane! Another one of the St.Louis crew.

20. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

21. Ditto, red X only!

22. I know it is visible to some because it is on facebook already. Here it is again.

Attached Files:

23. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go it this time. Thanks

24. ..got it now, thanks

25. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

Anyone have photos of that mini altered? Very cool.

26. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

It would be cool if they bring it.

These are off the front engine jr dragster thread.

www.meltdowndrags.com

Attached Files:

27. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

I'm close to the Winterport Strip in Maine. They run lawn mowers there, and some of them are pretty fast (for a lawn mower). It would be a ton of fun if they started running "Altered" mowers with bodies like these. I'd have to build one for each of the kids.

28. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

INFORMATIONAL UPDATE:
    This question came up....... your pre-registration number is NOT your race car ID for the weekend. We are compiling a list to know when to turn away cars if needed.
    The track will inspect and issue a Race id# for the weekend for you....

So bring the entry number with you to show you pre-registered and were approved to gain entry...then the track issues you your event number.

SWAP MEET: The swap meet vendor spaces are FREE with general admission....so $15 a day to swap.....NO RUMMAGE items only Hot rod, vintage car, race parts....vintage clothing & related, models, etc....let your buddies know if they have a car or items to sell

29. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Eric,

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing them.

Unfortunately I didn't have the good sense to take pictures of my 55 back in the day. I still have contact with several of the guys from back then, and they didn’t think to take pictures of their cars either.

I bought the 55 as a six-cylinder 210 tudor. I think that I gave $125 for it. I bored a 283 out 4" to make a 301. That engine in the 55 put me in C/Modified Production in 1964.

I was always breaking the three-speed, and always the same part – the second-gear syncro. Back then you could pick up a Chevy three-speed trans at a junkyard for $25. I went through a bunch of them.

This was in Northern New Jersey. Friends and I were active 1962 into 1965, hanging out at the local Sunoco station almost every night. We would wrench on each others cars after work and rendezvous Sunday mornings, to caravan up to Island Dragway – either driving or flat-towing. At that time, Island was open only on Sundays – time trials in the morning and eliminations in the afternoon.

Sadly, Island Dragway just shut down after fifty years of operations.​

30. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Finn,

Now these are the stories the young guys do not realize....my Dad also shared stories of only being able to afford 3 speeds 64-68 time era....and open rear ends were cheap $10 posi was $150 and $10 = $100 today roughly...so figure that one out. He quoted me the same price $25 3speeds and 4 speeds were tough to come by and new they were a few hundred. Re-capped slicks also...flat towing...the only way to go back then....or drive it there...the one pic shows the tow bar we still have hooked up.

Why spend money on film or developement when guys could hardly scrape together gas money.....people forget how tight things were then...

Figured you would like the pics....great stories....who has more...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013