Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 chevy front shock choice?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jay Tyrrell, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Hi Guys,
    I have been looking for some possible options for front shocks for the 55 chey in my avatar. I am still running a coil A-arm suspension. I currently was thinking of running a 90 10 shock but in the same breath I need this thing to be able to motivate on longer trips. An example of this would be the fact that I drove this car to California last summer on my honeymoon.

Lots of guys say they run 90 10 drag shocks on the street. How do they handle and feel? Anyone running them on a tri five car that sees a lot of street and longer trip use?

I guess that I want my cake and eat it too with the shock choice that I end up with. It would be great to have that front end climb when I nail it on the street and also handle decent. Any help and ideas are definately appreciated.

Thanks
    Jay

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Just 3 things. Shorter shock life, but what the hell, just get another set. Possible rougher ride since compression of the shock will be stiffer. More body roll because of less upward resistance on the out bound shock to the turn being made.

3. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Thanks Johnny!
    Good info to chew on man! Are you running a 90 10 on the street?
    Jay

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ No actually :eek:. Some off the shelf low dollar gas type if I remember is what's up front right now. Do tell myself to try them some time though.

5. KeithDyer

KeithDyer

Knew a guy that ran some 90/10's on his '55, the dirt road he lived on killed them and almost him.

They would jack way up on the washboard road and finally pushed through the lower control arm.

May not be the best idea . . . .

Take care, K

6. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

I've been running a pair of Lakewood 90/10's on my '55 for about two years now. It rides and handles the same as it did with the heavy duty gas shocks that had been on it. The Hurst cheaters were put on at the same time as the shocks. The 90/10's do make a difference at the strip, though.

Attached Files:

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I'd replace all 4 with good brand name heavy duty shocks. Monroe, Gabriel, Koni, Bilstein, what's the diff. I like German gas shocks but that's me, the American ones are fine too.

Stock shocks are only good for 20 or 25 thousand miles. They may look OK and seem OK but put on new shocks and be amazed how it rides like a new car again.

By the way this all assumes the ball joints, rubber bushings etc are all in good shape and the front end has had an alignment. If not, go over the front end, get it aligned, put on the shocks, and it will drive like a new car no kidding.

Forget about the 90/10 or trick shocks unless the car is for drag racing only.