Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 flathead v8 water pump questions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by judder_man, Feb 24, 2013.

1. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

I believe without checking i have water pumps like these on my flat head.

[​IMG]

Altho they have a bigger visual area where the square hole is. They are both seeping as soon as i put water/coolant into the engine. There seeping visibly from the square hole. I have no experience of removing the pumps. So my question is. . . . . Behind the pumps is there a seal and a thermostat on each side? Thanks

2. It`s no problem to change the water pumps; of course there should be a seal behind the pump. The thermostats are in the water outlets of the heads (left and right); attention: one (rusty) bolt is inside the lower water outlet of the pumps....good luck

3. Yes a seal/gasket between the pump and the block.
    I'm guessing you're using the one "hidden" bolt that goes down in the center of the water outlet?

4. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Thanks for the input I'm gonna spray it all with plus gas tomorrow and give it a day or two before tackling the job.

5. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Is it worth resealing these myself or is it a real itch of a job? I've looked online and found a guide.Just wondered if anyone has first hand experience?

6. Personally, I would just get new pumps. It's not a hard job. But... as stated above... be aware of the bolt that is inside the water outlet once the hose is removed.

7. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The pictured pumps are '50-'51 Mercury with staggered/different diameter pulleys, and to my knowledge are not yet available new at this time, so they have to be rebuilt. I would find someone with experience to do the work, as the pulleys can easily break during disassembly/assembly. :)

8. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

The ones in the pic are from a current eBay sale I found mine are filling with coolant like this

[​IMG]

9. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Seals are shot time for either new or rebuilt pumps.

10. VOLKSWAGNUT

VOLKSWAGNUT
    from NC

11. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

Thanks for the link. Found a very useful rebuild link. Ill have to stick it up when I stuble across it again.

12. Send your pumps to Skip Haney in Florida,you'll be verrrry happy.:D

13. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

If only it was that simple lol. Im in the U.K. but on a brighter note i had my merc flattie running for the first time today under my ownership. Not ran since 2009 apparently. New plugs and fresh fuel and it seems to run well considering the fact it has no, or little exhaust.

I have got another question tho, the little spring looking jobbies on the end of my exhaust manifolds? Are they like a bi metalic valve to aid getting up to temp?
    Thanks

[​IMG]

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

As to the warnings about pulley breaking.....that is a real concern. I dealt with it, after breaking a pulley, by selecting a piece of pipe of suitable length and diameter, spliting it lengthwise, and inserting it under the backside of the pulley, where it rested against the pulley hub.

I then used a common hose clamp to hold the halves together and got the whole works into my shop press, put a bearing removal plate against the pipe, and pressed the pump shaft out of the pulley.

Reinstalling the pulley is a breeze........no special tooling required.

Ray

16. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

Those valves are for getting heat in to the intake manifold when the engine is cold. You don't really need them.

Here is a good link on water pump rebuilding. http://www.flatheadv8.org/Waterpump/pump.htm
    19Fordy beat me to it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  17. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes those are mercury pumps on eBay , who was selling them? If they were a good price they may have been worth grabbing as they look new. I am not aware of any repro merc pumps but maybe someone is. Essentially the same as for but different mounting height.

18. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.

I thought cheap at circa $196 the pair. i'll find em again they had a few different ones.

Yeah I kinda thought they were not needed and that's the link i found looks concise. thanks

Great tip the split rod thanks

Found that one but thanks for the input. it looks concise and well written.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  19. judder_man

judder_man
    from U.K.