Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. farmer12

farmer12

Just dropped off my parts at the chroming guy. It's going to take about 8 weeks before I get it all back, but he assured me it will be perfect! You can see my bumper on the table in the background. He also had this cool moped which he'd fully chromed.

Attached Files:

2. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Ah yes, sometimes you get that opportunity. I once rebuilt a 4 speed on the kitchen table because it was too cold outside. My girlfriend was less than impressed. LOL

3. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Yes, that opportunity comes along once in a while. Using the dish washer to clean carburators works well, just remember to run it again empty to get rid of the risidual.....however, using the oven to bake in exhaust manifold coating is not a good idea! It took about three days for the smell to get out of the house, she was only gone for a day...

4. art.flame

art.flame

Eric where is this chrome guy located?
    and can he fill parts that are pitted or coroded?
    Art

5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boys will be boys. Any little opening she gives us, we're all over it! Well done Eric!:D

6. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I read through your thread; outstanding job!

7. 48plysled

48plysled

now the bright work will be taken care of. One less thing on the list to do which in turn means the end is closer. Great job on the doors and garnish

8. farmer12

farmer12

Hey there Art! The guy (Frank)is located in Odiliapeel and can be reached through verchromen.nl. He sends all the parts to Hungary where they've never heard of environmental friendly laws. I think they can repair anything, even corroded and pitted parts. I've seen some of the parts he's re-chromed and they look excellent. I'd say, give him a call.

9. ThePlyMouth13

ThePlyMouth13

You have one amazing Plymouth Those lines are so classic.

10. ThePlyMouth13

ThePlyMouth13

These inner fenders are so cool. I hope to eventually do something like this In my 50

11. art.flame

art.flame

thx Eric i will

Art

12. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you falconvan.

Thanks you 48plysled. Getting closer by the week indeed. Trying not to rush myself during these last stages.:D

13. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Eric.Still following along.As usual,your craftsmanship is outstanding.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

14. ^^^^ what Leo said, always a pleasure to watch what you do, Eric! ;)

15. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Friend of mine uses a chromeplater that is located in Poland.He have chromed a lot of Cadillac parts there.I guess those former eastern bloc countries are for us like Mexico is to our American cousins:)

16. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you for the support gentlemen!

17. 1959apache

1959apache

OMG THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME! haha, I want to see this thing in the paint shop already!!! Thanks again for all of the frame measurements for the coupe. I have priced out a suitable replacement subframe for the plymouth, but have to save money first and not be blowing it on the pickup.

18. BACAGrizz

BACAGrizz

I'll have mine over easy with a side of Hollandaise.

19. Nice to see you are making good progress on my favourite Plymouth coupe. This is a very inspirational thread - your solution to the myriad problems that come up with a build like this are well executed, clean and just plain cool.

And you fly aircraft too, do you cook? :D

20. 1959apache

1959apache

He's already married ;)

21. nowhereman

nowhereman
    from illinois

22. farmer12

farmer12

I realized that I'd forgotten to send the mounting brackets to the chroming guy. Doh! Quickly took them apart and mailed them off to him.

Then fabricated an inner piece for the door gutter. The area would be visible, even with the weather stripping in place, so it was time to weld. Hope to finally finish the passenger door completely next monday.

Attached Files:

23. farmer12

farmer12

Suspense is a good thing. With all the little things I still have to do and my trip to Texas next week, I don't expect to have the body to the body shop before the end of this month. Patience my friend.

Thank you ajmopar for the kind words. BTW, I'm a lousy cook.:D

Thank you nowhereman.

24. steven74

steven74

I am in Houston but will be in Dallas for 3 days also. Where will you be in Texas?

25. farmer12

farmer12

PM sent.

26. farmer12

farmer12

Made good progress today! Started by cutting the small gutters off the old garnish moldings and welded them on the modified ones. I needed to extend them both by about 2 inches.

Then moved on to the driver's side door and filled in two gaps with newly fabricated pieces. Getting closer!:D:D:D

Attached Files:

27. farmer12

farmer12

It's been another very productive day today! Repaired the side lip of the inner trunk. It was so badly rotten, you could see through it. First was to cut the bad piece off and welded on my fabricated piece. Cleaned it up and gave it a coat of primer. Better than new!

Last pic show the inner deck lid in place. Laying on top is a newly fabricated piece which I'll need to weld in place. (notice red marker lines.)

But this won't take place for another 2 weeks as I'm off to work tomorrow, followed by my trip to Texas! Can't wait.:D:D:D

Attached Files:

28. Man, that broom handle sure gets around!!! haha!

Looking good as usual Eric!

29. farmer12

farmer12

The broom has been very useful on several occasions.;)

30. Top notch work as usual Eric. The paint will be awesome after all this bodywork. Been over to the chainer group latley?