Register now to get rid of these ads!

450 cfm good on a 283?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 69f100, Feb 26, 2013.

1. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

well ive finally gotten tired of hearing about the old chevy and am tired of it falling appart and its about damn time i payed more attention to it.
    66 chevy c10 with a bone stock 283 with a manual three speed.
    as strong as the engine runs it is lacking in the power area (not in torque though haha) so i bought a weiand 7205 aluminum square bore intake and have a new set of sanderson headers. now comes the most important part, what carb. ive read that a 283 will work nicely with a 500, but will a 450 work just as good? ive found a cheap holley that i can rebuild thats a 450 cfm. will that fifty cfm make that much of a difference with the intake im running? i figure anything should help over a stock 2 barrel. thanks in advanced HAMBers:)

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You will be fine with that carb.

Don

3. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

perfect! not really trying to race or anything, just trying to keep up with traffic haaha

4. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I put a 370 cfm Holley (HD truck) on my Ford 260 with stock 289 iron 4V intake, and it worked great.

I had had an Autolite 4V from a 390 on there briefly but took it off because it killed the low rpm power.

That was also a three speed standard car.

5. Deuces

Deuces

That 450 should be good enough for a bone stock 283....

6. I jave a 465 Holley vac sec on mine.

The 283 is.040" over and had a mild hyd stick, Performer intake, MSD ign and cleaned up 305 heads with 9.5:1 CR and 2" ramshorns/exhaust.

Perfect.

Rat

7. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I ran one on an OT '72 Chevelle with a 350. I got great drivability and mileage. I race it once and it ran out of steam on top end.

8. hotstuff1

hotstuff1

If you do a lot of freeway flying or towing go with the 600 CFM ,if not the 450 or 500 will work find

9. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I would go with a 600 if it was mine.

10. The small carb is fine. The one thing that I am concerned about is the diameter of your header tubes. On your application I would hope you have inch and five eighths. I guess one and three quarters would be OK, but the smaller ones would help your torque and still flow good at top end.

11. mj40's

mj40's

They ran fine with 2bbl's.

12. while switching the intake/carb and adding the headers is good......have you thought about a cam change? it wouldn't be that much more work

as for the Weiand 7205 intake.....tell me more about it , i haven't been able to find out anything online

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Great carb size for all around driving. The low end response and good mileage will serve you well.

Frank

14. alv

alv
    from jackson,NJ

they run 390 holley carbs. on the nascar modifieds. smaller carb. will give better throttle response but run out at top end.

15. That will work fine and mileage wont be that bad either

16. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

That carb will be more than big enough for the engine . Even if you swap the cam out for a mild torque cam , that carb will still be more fuel than you will need . Most people over carb their engines anyway .
    Heck the local sprint cars with big HP engines running on alcohol only can use 450 and 500 size carbs so you will be fine .
    I do agree with "Unclee" about the headers you are using . If that is the size and you didn't measure the tube size correct , you will be much happier with the smaller tube size on the headers . The smaller ones will give you that low end torque that you want but the bigger tube headers are better for top end in racing .
    Since I am a FORD guy now and have been for a very long time , I will say that I have owned many Chev 283 & 327 engines back in the early 70's but I really did like the 283 .You could be the Hell out of those engines and they would just keep on going ! The only problem I can remember that they did have was the cams that were used didn't last long and you would wipe the lobes out on them . Other then that , it's a good , dependable engine .

Retro Jim

17. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I think it will work out well for you. Do let us know though.

18. sewman

sewman
    from Toledo,Oh

I can remember when a friend of mine in highschool put a 780 in his stock 283 & it would bog bigtime in the lower rpm but when he got it revved up it ran pretty good.

19. oakhill

oakhill

I would think it would work great. A friend of mine has a bone stock 283 with a 2bbl and it runs great --------- wait a minute, 450 may be too much carb.

20. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

a small base Rochester is only about 193 CFM and they were used in 2 ton trucks even. It's fine. 99% of hot rods and old cars in general out there are over carburated because idiots think that they are bolting on more horsepower every time they go up in CFM ratings, it's sad.

21. Truckedup

Truckedup

Carter WCFB used on millions of stock 220 hp 283's is 385 CFM. 1 and 2 bbl CFM is rated different and is about 70 percent of 4 bbl CFM for comparisons.

22. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

That's what I had on the 283 in my Model O-Haaaaaaaaaay!!