Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Customline motor, trans, rear swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jadtrd, Feb 25, 2013.

1. jadtrd

jadtrd
    from CT

Greetings to all. Currently restoring my 55 Customline. Had a 272Y, Ford Omatic column, stock rear. I would like to swap to a SBF 302 / C4, and an 8 in rear. I was able to get a narrow rear end with new 3.55 but will still need to move the leaf spring perches over a little to match the stock set up. My questions are: 1. what motor mounts will bolt right on, tranny mount, if possible without any mods. Also if I match the spring perches to the stock axle will the c4 tranny line up with the 8 inch rear axle?
    Thanks to all in advance for any help..JIM

2. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Fox Mustang motor mounts (79-92) Trans mount I am not sure, see if the one off the Ford-O-Matic bolts to the C4. I have only messed with stick shifts, so I am not much help on that part.
    Aligning trans and rear should not be an issue.

3. I put a 302 with an FMX and a Maverick rear, got motor mounts from Butch's in Ohio,
    I just redrilled the stock crossmember for the trans but I'm not sure if that will work for the C4, I put new spring pads on the rear, had a new driveshaft made. it's a pretty simple deal. Good luck !

4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

5. jadtrd

jadtrd
    from CT

Thanks for the help on this. I also seen with the tranny that the bellhousing can be small or large type. Would either fit with the 55 ford Customline or is their one over the other?

Thanks again..Its appreciated

6. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

I believe either the small or large bellhousing will work, but not totally sure.