Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2013 Meltdown Drags thread, real vintage drag meet, July 20-21 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Just pre-registered Altered Wheel Base car # 5....not joking.....awesome!

2. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Awesome! I'm glad Don is signed up. I think the orange Willys in the middle will be there too.

[​IMG]

3. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Nice Willy's....dam....nice to see 25+ Willy's racing last year...looks like more for this year...

4. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

John, I'll probably follow you guys up on Friday then. We can get a good convoy going! Meltdown or Bust!!!

5. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

Dude you rock!!!:eek:

6. carryallman

carryallman

HOPE TO GET AN ANGLIA THROWN TOGETHER ! coming from des moines iowa area ,might have a friends 40 willys w/ a hemi in it there ??? its been in a garage for 15 yrs ! anybody else from des moines iowa area going ? lets get together and get it done !! mike "carryallman" *anybody got any drag racing parts to loan us ??*motors r,trannys,injectors,blowers ,??

7. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Probably see some of these Missouri guys there too!

[​IMG]

8. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Why don't everyone who is planning on attending post a picture of what your going to run or have sitting as an unfinished project.
    I know how much people love to look at pictures and that way anyone who is on the fence can see its worth the trip.

9. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

This is my Dad's '41 Plymouth. We got it free(yes I said free), added a 305 Chevy(also free), fenderwell headers, 10 bolt rear axle, etc. Hope to be running by Easter! It looks a lot different now.

Attached Files:

10. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

This is awesome....as people will always recall Stone Woods & Cook and other large names that raced....in all reality there was loads and loads of guys racing their daily drivers, new cars, and hot rods....in the early and mid-60's many many gas class cars were double duty drivers...unbolt exhaust and blot on the 6" slicks..that were hard as a rock like snow tires....and a Posi rear end...a luxury many could not afford.

The MD is for all levels from the stock flathead 50' ford to the A/G blown hemi Willy's...

It is truly the little guys event!! Great pics so far!!

11. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Just found out that it looks like our group from north and south Carolina is going to be making the trip with at least 3 cars all of them high RPM wheel standing 4 speeds. I haven't sent in pics yet but will soon. Here's mine my avatar is a pic of the engine.[​IMG]

12. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Oddly enough my Dad's '41 is turning out like an early gasser. Not intentional but I'm digging it. And my Dad had the biggest grin on his face when it finally started. He's 80 so I want to get it done so he can enjoy it.

13. bgas56

bgas56

Quain I cannot wait to see your group run! This is a not to miss event!

14. Great news Quain! Glad to hear it. You will be glad you made the trip!

15. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was me and buddies as clueless teenagers in 1964. I ran my daily 55 Chevy in Modified Production. Drove to the strip Sunday mornings, broke parts, yet somehow managed to limp back home each time.

I'll run the 37 Ford in my avatar.

16. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Thanks we had planned to take our Gassers to one big race this year so we have spent a lot of time looking at all the big events that we know of and this one looks to be the best one for period correct cars so we picked it. Hopefully I don't have a rain out at one of my pro mod races that gets put on top of this one. We are looking forward to this and hope to meet a lot of people that are on the hamb.

17. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

The only regret you and your group will have is figuring out how to juggle your lives around to make sure to never miss it in the future.
    I'm looking forward to meeting you and your buddies and seeing your cars run.

18. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Quain first....GREAT PIC...thanks for sharing....we hope you can make it!!!

TOTAL period correct here....just keep an eye on this thread....NO DISAPPOINTMENTS here....you will be amazed as all of us are year after year.....

And if you guys start to second guess making the drive.....remember this....you can race at any track in the country 51 weeks out of the year with all sorts of cars.....The Meltdown is only 1 weekend a year....and it is the one weekend a year to race at a place where you actually feel you have gone back in time....unless you have been there words do not describe it......definately a brotherhood

19. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Finn....any pics of your old 55....I am going to post some pics of the ORIGINAL Koopmeiners & Sons 55 chevy from 1965-1967 era.....this thing was a class act for a kid paying for everything himself white painted underbody....327 tri-power then 2x4's.....3speeds.....later a 4 speed....open rear ends....finally a posi in 1968....

People forget how little $$ there were to put into these things......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

21. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

One of me......by the coupe....I was ruined at a young age

[​IMG]

22. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I'm going to make a guess and I will probably be wrong, but the visor on that coupe looks to be GM made.

23. That is right in line with my dad's stories of drag racing downtown in 1960 or so with his 50 olds coupe with a 324, two rochester four barrels, 12:1 Jahns pistons, an Engle roller cam, a Vertex magneto, a 37 or 38 LaSalle floorshift and the 3.90 rear end. Clark sold nothing but 100 octane gas, smoking the rear tire (sometimes both tires) all of the time, and then thrashing till 3AM to fix what got broke in order to drive to work that same morning... and still many times drag racing their buddies on the way to the jobsite! I found (and still have) some pieces of that engine after it finally grenaded beyond any chance of repair.

Yeah, I too was corrupted with a heavy right foot and speed in the veins.

24. mjb3707

mjb3707
    from chicago

the more stories i here the better it gets the meltdown is not just a drag meet i think its more of a life style !!!!!! that we dont want to let go of

25. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Kip...yes sir good eye...Zettle Brothers, Tony and Bill will like that shot.....
    31' PONTIAC Coupe....built gas coupe style....
    Talk about a tough one to come by....awesome indian head radiator cap....

26. Wish i had some cool old pics to share but i only have a few from last years meltdown to share of my car that will be running again this year.

Attached Files:

27. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

You don't see coupes like that let alone the radiator caps!!!!

28. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

If you have not heard the AWB chevy II lives in Utah now, so heres what I'm working on.

Attached Files:

29. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

I love it Kip....not all bling and gaudy....sanitary...more like they really were....LOVE IT!!!

30. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Yessir thats badass, doesn't look like a Pontiac mill though. The sticker on the window was what caught my eye first.