Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Circa 1953

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 25, 2013.

1. bobscogin

bobscogin

Thanks to the global economy, I can now drive a new, Chinese made, all steel '32 Ford Five Window Coupe while wearing my Chinese Levis. How traditional is that?

Bob

2. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

That always happens where the credit goes to someone else. Let's give the first poster the credit he deserves.

4. Aaron Kahan

Aaron Kahan

I saw this when Stoner posted it on his Autoculture site. It is a well done video for the most part. It's been mentioned, but it's funny how Pure Hell made it's way into the 1953 time period.

I also wonder if they got permission to use all that footage? I'm glad they used my aunt Suzanne and uncle Bob as some of the voice over and information. Some of the clothes in that line are pretty cool, and Levi's has been offering quality (but expensive) repro jeans/clothes around the world for some time now.

A curious side note is that Fred Hidalgo pitched this idea to Levi's of "doing old reissue clothes and using hot rods to promote them" when he was doing work for Levi's 20 year's ago. He wanted to gather a small bunch of young hot rodders who had old style cars (and looked the part) and film it out at the dry lakes. As far as I know that never happened because they didn't bite on the idea back then.

-Aaron

5. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

do the make sweaters as well........

6. sled56

sled56

Cool footage, a great mix of rods, race cars and customs.
    Levi,s have always been expensive in Australia, I can recall paying $80 for a pair ten years ago, but they lasted for ten years too.

7. flamingokid

flamingokid

I'm with 49RatFink.I buy my Levi's used,old habits die hard.In the 80s and 90s I used to cruise the flea markets of the Southwest,buying vintage jeans.This funded my catalin radio habit.I've gotten as much as 4k for a single pair.

Apparently,Glen Beck has been pushing 1791 Jeans,which are woven in N.C. and assembled in Kentucky.I'm adding these to my buy list.

8. flamingokid

flamingokid

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

OK... Cool... Credit given to the original poster. Shall I have another child, it will be his.

Of course, I would have given that WELL earned credit had I done the right thing and searched prior to posting this.

Geesh. Tough crowd.

In any case, hot rods rule.

10. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

$150 for a pair of jeans? No, I don't think. Cool enough, but that video would have to come with a happy ending before I'd be tempted.

11. flamingokid

flamingokid

Now,now,it's OK :( Since it was footage YOU sent to them and YOU had the contact with them,it's your deal.If we beat you to the punch on a subject and it remains an obscure thread until it's posted by you,it just validates that most of us are on the same page.

12. I bought a pair of White 501s from Kohl's in 2010 to wear to Pebble Beach, they were made in Haiti. Quality was a lot better than I thought it would be.

Back to the clip. The colour lakes footage is exceptional some of the best I have seen & definitely from 1948.

Attached Files:

13. I'm beginning to see a pattern develop here. On 02-22 Ryan posts a series of pictures that I had posted on 02-03 to "Vintage shots from day's gone by!". Normally, no big deal but how ofton do we get a chance to bust the bosses balls? :cool:

14. PG

PG

Is that a fenderless 35/36 at 0:32?

15. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure looks like it..

16. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

17. No but they make "Bomber Jackets and Hawaiian shirts"!:D

Great Video, but it does make you feel like it is a company trying too hard, and misrepresenting what they have become. Maybe they should reopen an American manufacturing plant, and actually make jeans that are "traditional"!

18. rd4pin

rd4pin
    from louisiana

Enjoyed the old cars and all the J.D's. too, thanks for posting.

19. Spooky Two

Spooky Two
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes... thanks for this re-posting.
    I saw it the first time around and it got me then to thinking.
    Now, I don't want to get too politically off topic 'cause I really am all about the "cahrs". And, well jeez... to hear T.V. Tommy pitch a need for speed!! But, I had to think where is Levis going with this add?
    The crowd it scenes that they are appealing to would be this crowd, as this crowd IS and was THAT crowd. Yet, that's not going so well for them by the sounds of it.
    So, my thinking is their target market with this add is not us or even them(North American in every sense). It is most likely another that's all together foreign, willing a quick glance at "ye olde Americana"... followed by a purchase!
    No worries Ryan, by sharing what's on your shelf your not selling out. Think museum and admission, and heck someone's gotta pay for those Borrani's for a Rivi:D

20. 562roadster

562roadster

Awesome! Very well done

21. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Awesome clip!
    That's Ed Roth's 57 Chevy at 2:10...

Attached Files:

22. poorboy

poorboy

Pretty awesome clip

23. autobilly

autobilly

Can anyone please give me any details on the red RPU with all the trophies at 2.08?

24. Nic, that is Tommy Ivo's T rpu (t-bucket) circa 1957-59.

25. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Mind says yes, waist line says no, cool vid, take it for what it is, a chance to scope some cool cars and people, sure beats a women's hygiene commercial!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

26. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

So who owns the rights to the footage? Public domain?

27. great video very cool

28. Aw Geezuz, that's funny right there, I don't care who you are. Made me laugh out loud. You've created a monster.......;):D

29. autobilly

autobilly

Thanks Jimmy. I ask because a friend's grandfather just gave him a well assembled and painted, board mounted and glass encased, large scale model that he made in the early 60's. I knew the car looked familiar but couldn't put a name to it. Then I saw it here.

30. 43gman

43gman
    from NC

I like Buddy's Jeans, and I like 'real' Americans, too. Found Buddy's here, and as noted, Google really IS your friend.

http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/jeans.htm

What interests me is why can't the good folks at Levi contact someone like one of these USA manufacturers and put together a deal that would help our own working people AND sell USA made Levi's? These are the kinds of questions that got some of us kicked out of the corporate board rooms. . .

GA