Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any old guys(65 +) still build not buy their hot rods??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrap metal 48, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Sanford Graham

Sanford Graham

Me 67, have a 49 Ford Club coupe and a 51 Ford sedan, I chopped, with help from my father in law , he's 70................happy motorin sandy

2. Jims35

Jims35

:cool:__71+ , if i can't build it i don't need or want it, that's where the fun is.__:)

3. davidh73750

davidh73750

this is great. I hope I'm in good shape and tinkering still too. I got a friend I met a few yrs ago in salina KKOA, been twisting his arm for lonestar. He's going to drive down. I'm sure he will have a blast. He's built a few cars and still working on some. He's 67 and had a few health scares so he really wants to go.

4. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Just turned 76. I'm putting a 4" drop axle in my '37 Ford.
    Had to be a '37 as that's the year I was born.

5. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

65++++ what was the question?

6. bowtie40

bowtie40

I'm 66 and am reworking My 40 Chev cpe that my kid will be racing with her sisters this season, She's got the bug and Erika Enders is her hero. I plan to be towing it with my 56 Ford PU.

7. Goldy

Goldy

Me, I am a builder more than a buyer. But I would swap my Z06 for the right Hot Rod. 69 yrs.

8. tolsmith

tolsmith

Be 68 this summer. Took the maiden voyage last weekend in our 34 Chevy Sedan. Put 60 miles on her between pit stops. Nothing serious, alot of fun for wife and I

9. roadster1234

roadster1234

hi 62 working on my 37 ford coupe, almost done but ya know ya never done thats the way it is

10. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

hell yah! why buy someone else's mistakes. I can make my own...

11. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

60 ,one project in the garage and one still on the trailer:DStill doing it but am SLOW:D

Attached Files:

12. Fiend42

Fiend42

I am 71 years into learning. Finished my 39 Ford coupe 2 years ago. Then I repainted my 66 Nova because I wanted to try the new urethane paint, you can keep it. I wish they didn't take the lead out of lacquer. Last winter I got into the wiring on my 55 Nomad along with the exhaust system, wipers, heater and some minor bugs that popped up since I built the car in 1983. This winter I installed relays in the 39 for halogen headlights. This coming spring I will start the re-paint on my Nomad. Build till you die is the only way.

13. My mistakes are so cunning that they are invisible until they bite me. Would not do it any other way.

14. spooler41

spooler41

Guilty! I'm 72 and still need to fill the need to create. I can't afford to buy a finished car
    or project, just not enough in the SS check to do any thing but build and slowly at that.
    I'm still trying to finish the '27 lakes modified ,then I've got a 31 Ford P/U to get busy with. Hope there is enough time left

...........................Jack

15. HEY! This was a great thread!!!!:D
    I am NOT alone anymore... I at least GOT YOU GUYS here!!!!;)
    It is a shame that we are so far apart! Mileage wise.
    Good for this Web Site! Keeps us able to keep each other UP!:rolleyes:
    Also lets us Bitch once in awhile.

KEEP COOL:cool: and by all means KEEP WORKIN!:eek:
    Joe in Mo. The 67 year old doin this stuff since 1958! They fall me on here the FNG.
    I guess it means FeeliN Great!:D:confused:
    Joe in Mo.

16. Charlie Fernandes

Charlie Fernandes
    from Ceres, CA

I'm almost 68 and just started building a Rat Rod for my grandson. '27 T Sedan 9" chopped top - '49 Lincoln Flathead 337 cu in V8 with Hydramatic trans Homemade tube frame - This weekend just finished 4 bar with coil overs on Crown Vic rear end

27sedanratrod

17. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

65+ and the oldest thing I own is a 65 Coronet drag car, however done a good bit of vintage motorhome rejuvination. The Airstream will be sitting on the truck chassis before too long. It will be a hot rod of sorts and I can shit in it.

Attached Files:

18. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Now that's funny....

19. ydopen

ydopen

I am 70 this month. A friend gave me the Tardel book and I was hooked. I started an A V8 roadster in December and will soon have a mock up roller. I have always had cars and motorcycles,but this is my first hot rod from scratch.
    Best project I have had.

John

20. blackcreek

blackcreek

I am sneaking up on 71. Building an off road racing cj jeep with my grandson and in the process of building my own 36 chev coupe.

21. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

I'm 69 1/2. I built this one a couple years ago. 8BA FH w/5spd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Working on this one now. 276ci FH, and dropped axle. Going to be my daily driver.

[​IMG]

Must admit, I'm getting tired of laying on the floor. It's getting harder every year to get up.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  22. jimvette59

jimvette59

Charley please edit the definition of your build. LOOSE the R/Rod.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  23. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I'm rapidly approaching 65. And nothing is more satisfying to me than heading out to the garage and tinkering on my car. Yeah...I may be an old old coot, with arthritis, bad ankles, ED, memory loss, overweight, and a cranky attitude. But somehow a few hours in the garage, wrenching on my car makes me forget about all that. I leave the garage with a much improved attitude. But I can't stay away for long !!!! In fact, I hear her calling for me right now. I'll be back there first thing in the morning. Woo Hoo.

24. elba

elba

I am 65 and working on a 66 Corvair and a 66 Ford econoline P/U.

25. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Posted before--70 and in the middle of another 40 coupe--std this time--moving along and chassis should be done in 2 weeks ,then the painted body goes back on. When they are in my home garage I can't not go out and work on them--hope to have this one done minus uph by mid June-keeps me going.

26. 32 for me

32 for me
    from SO. CAL.

I'm 66 and work in the shop every day except Sunday, church. I pray that I can do this for another week!
    Two projects going, '32 sedan and a '32 pick up, I hope to take to the Autorama in 2015.

27. pavementends

pavementends
    from Utah

Nearly 67 and still spend time in the garage always learning. Just finishing a 48 F1 (to be a daily driver), IFS, SBC, Overdrive Auto, and lots of other things. I fab as much as I can. Been thru the old farm machinery craze, did a few bikes, restored a sprint car...museum piece. Now need to drive to the shows and cruises and update the truck as a driver.

28. woodypecker

woodypecker

68 years old and my results are not always the best but I sure enjoy the trip

29. 63 and cant weight to start more projects

30. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

82+
    I still do meaningful work 2 or 3 hours a day. (grinding cams and building flathead race engines)
    6 or 8 hours a day I fiddle with my hot rod. (154 mph model A sedan)
    An hour or so a day I fiddle with my used to be vintage circle track roadster
    converting it to something else. (haven't decided yet) I quit racing it last year because tire and fuel costs got out of hand for me.
    Every couple weeks I mow the grass (2 acres) with my hot rod tractor.
    I think the model A sedan is about fiddled out so it might be time to move it
    out and start a new project.
    I don't have any trouble getting up from the floor but I cheat with the knees and use a pad when kneeling.