Register now to get rid of these ads!

What was the Speed Shop that said it all for you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xhotrodder, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Goldy

Goldy

Goldy's Speed Shop in Southampton, Pa. Of course I would say that, it was my speed shop back then. I used to be thrilled to go to Frank A Bash Speed Shop on Green Street in Philadelphia, back in the fifties when I was growing up.

2. hemiboy

hemiboy

Tognotti's in Sacramento. I went there first in the early 70's. Loved the "used race parts" section. went there last summer. No used parts. No joy. poo.

3. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Scottys did the Mufflers on my 57 Chevy after i got a ticket for loud pipes

4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Should have gone to M&M Speed so I could give you a better deal ;) ,Tognotti had a thing for hiring know it all snobs for counter help with a few exceptions.

Attached Files:

5. ZOOMIE TWO-SHOES

ZOOMIE TWO-SHOES

My favorite speed shop had to be S&W speed shop in Spring City (suburbs of Phila.). It had speed shop out front, race car chassis shop in the rear. I knew a couple of the guys working in the chassis shop, and the owner's (Walt Weney) son Scott. Scott had fair amount of success in the alcohol classes in the 80's. Speed shop is long gone but chassis shop is still building race cars.

6. fsae0607

fsae0607

PAW in Northridge, CA. I was there damn near every weekend back when it existed.

7. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

blairs as a kid &am running a isky cam in my A that i got there couple years ago...race gas......as said friendly/know there stuff.........

8. Speed & Sport Center in Staunton, VA

9. cheviac

cheviac
    from new jersey

We had california speed and sport in New brunswick, Dons on route 1 in Edison, and the one I always used Central Jersey speed and sport on New Brunswick Ave. Fords. I can remember calling Vic 10 times to figure something out in one of my rides and always got good advise. I still see Vic at the cruises but CJ is gone. Damn, it all seems like just yesterday.

10. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

If you look in my album you will see my 67 camaro that was done by S.R.D (back in 1970) which they took over at some point. Jenkins was involved with them I was a dealer for their parts (S&W) in the 70's and 80's.

11. undergroundss

undergroundss

Shisler's Speed Shop...Souderton, PA

Dunn & Grasso Performance...Bristol, PA

Both long gone

12. larry k

larry k

don't forget county speed shop 6910 st charles rock road, in st louis mo, phone PA 19945, had lots of flat head & small chevy speed parts, it was the only place in missouri in the early 60's,drove a hundred miles to buy my parts.

13. Francis569

Francis569
    from usa

Tognotti's Speed Shop in Sacramento[​IMG]

14. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Segedins Auckland NZ
    Greenlane Speedshop

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  15. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

50 years ago to be a "dealer" your first order had to meet a minimum level and you needed a picture of your building and your sign---so talk to everyone with a race car get their order and deposit place order, after that order one at a time---worked with engle,crower, and venolia aqmong others---never did have shop just a wide angle picture of a detached garage...

16. mickeyab

mickeyab
    from Texas

Back in the 70's in the Dallas area there was Speed Equipment World. Don't think it lasted but I remember them sponsoring one or more funny cars.

17. was sitting here trying to remember the shops, forgot about AL's in N.Aurora, there was hillcrest speed shop over on hill ave. by Chars resturent, and Pat Halls shop down south lake street can't remember what he called it tho. THE MIND IS THE SECOND THING TO GO!!!, But the trips into the city to pick up parts at J.C.WHITNEYS/WARSHAWSKYS were cool and scary at the same time. used to sit on top of the shed in Eddie Baits back yard and watch the boys break all those new parts on sunday at Oswego drag strip.

18. okbob

okbob
    from Hanover pa

Vic's Speed in Hanover pa. Central pa. was a hotbed for sprint car racing( Williams Grove ,Lincoln,Susky,Port Royal,Selingsgrove and Hagerstown Speedways ) Vic was a hardcore supplyer of racing parts. He had HALIBRAND wheels of all sizes and ofsets available in stock,CAE ,HILBORN injectors ,nozzles,and barel valves . He had trucks with methanol and pre-grooved tires readily available at these tracks.This was when Firestone and M&H were drag tires and came as slicks. He mounted,grooved and dismounted every tire in order to have it ready to race. He had been around and knew what we needed and had it in stock. He would give you what you asked for (right or wrong). If you asked him what you needed he would give you that too.(generally right) He was not always real friendly,but always fair. Him and Teresa (wife) have both passed on and are truly missed. Van May

19. das858

das858

Raceland in Lincoln, Nebraska was the speed shop here. None of the locals went to Speedway, they were a mail order place. Raceland stocked every possible Holley carb part. They let customers sell their used speed parts there too.

20. bowtie40

bowtie40

X2 Steve Bovan was a friend, We bought his dragster and ran it as the "Yellow Rose" in 1965.

21. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

Race Car Parts Co, Houston Texas, the late Nolan Brandt.
    And Herb Stelter, Southwest Imports in Houston on Texas ave.
    Both were great guys and knew their stuff.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  22. stan292

stan292

Mother's Speed Shop - Springfield, MO. Not the biggest, maybe not the best - but it was (1/2) mine!

My partner was a guy named Gene McKeen who still lives in Springfield - he got rich in commercial real estate, while I headed West to work for M/T Enterprises in Garden Grove, CA. The shop is still there, but it's not really a speed shop anymore. I think they call it Mother's Automotive or something. I'm told they do a lot of diesel work.

We sponsored this'55 that was owned by the Taylor Bros. It won AHRA Street Eliminator in 1969, and was featured in Car Craft magazine. Pretty heady stuff for a couple corn-fed hicks.

I grew up in Lincoln, NE and shopped some at Speedway too. But like someone else here said, they weren't concerned about walk-in business. I worked there for a year in 1970, when Speedy Bill ruled the roost (he still does, but not right at the sales counter). Let's just say he wasn't exactly the 'Mr. Personality' with ordinary customers.

I hung out at a little shop on 'O' street called Speed Engineering. MUCH more laid back. Lots of fun times there.

Attached Files:

23. Von Essers in Chicago was popular and I think Al's Speed Shop in Aurora?

24. 1gearhead

1gearhead

In the 60's there was a guy named Wayne Schesler that had a hole in the wall shop in
    Auburn, WA. Locally he was the guy to go to if you needed Hot rod mechanical work or something fabricated. The guy was a real talent. Built and tuned a local car for a used car lot that held an NHRA C/MP National record for a year or so. He made quite an impression on me is all I can say.

25. fsae0607

fsae0607

P.A.W. in Northridge, CA. Built my first engine with parts from there. Also when I got my first OT car I was always there buying something.

Long gone now :(

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

26. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

In the '70's, John Bandimere (yes, that Bandimere) owned a Speed Shop in Denver, and I remember going in there every Saturday-they had an area just to the left of the front Door where they would sell used Speed Parts, and I always loved to go to see what was new-

There was also another called F & M Auto Parts-they always had a cool Car parked out front, and it was a favorite too-

Bought many parts from both of them-sadly, they are gone(F & M still has a Machine Shop located in a different place now)-

27. Some of Life's greatest wisdom I got from a local speed shop.

There was a sign that said, "You want it GOOD, FAST, and CHEAP?... Pick two and let us know.

Also, "If you have $19.00 head....You should buy a $19.00 crash helmet!"

28. boutlaw

boutlaw

Bob's Speed Shop, Mobile Al. Been there since the mid 60's. I had a straight axle 64 Falcon then, and one of the customers in the Speed Shop wanted to trade me a year old 396 Chevelle for my SBF Falcon. Good deal for me right? Bob pulled me to the side and informed me that the Chevelle was stolen...saved my arse. He's probably forgotten that, but I never have. A "to good to be true deal" for a 17 year old just didn't exist. I drove the 60 miles to Bob's almost every Saturday just to hang out.

BOutlaw

29. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

Speed shops were the back-bone of the high performance world, mail-order and Internet is great however a lot was lost in the "stand and look at parts" aspect which promoted new sales (and dreams).

30. JT Apperson

JT Apperson
    from va

My first speed shop was Custom Speed in D.C. I bought a Sun Tach and exhaust cutouts for my 61 Chevy 348. Then I went to S&S Speed Shop in Falls Church, Va. and bought a Hurst Shifter. On Sunday I was off to Aquasco Speedway....JT