Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

I like it Dale. It is old school which fits the intent of your car. I have had mine since 1983. Same Moroso belt and motor. It just keeps going and going...

2. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Brian, it appears Moroso redesigned the electric motor. I hope this new heat sink style aluminum case one is as good as the old metal ones.

I got suckered into buying one of Moroso's big oversized alternator pullys as well. That ought to be good for me to stay glued to Roy's parachute!!

3. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Taken from a picture posted in a Japanese magazine. Too bad the beauty of the show was hidden behind a bunch of hooligans wearing Levi's and Van's board shoes...

[​IMG]

4. 65COMET

65COMET

SCARY lookin group!!!! I don't need no stinkin parachute!!!! I run the overdive pulley too,I think it helps!! ROY.

5. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Love the 60s "Bowling Shirt" look.

6. ec164

ec164
    from MI

7. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Roy- Do you have to plug in your battery to keep it charged up? I was told the oversize Moroso pulley will not be enough? I'm a bit confused. It is only slightly smaller diameter than the crank pulley, so if the car is idling around at 1200 rpms, plus race time, plus driving back, I'd think it'd get a decent charge?? Am I thinking this wrong???

8. cobrajet2

cobrajet2

Got to see this Comet on a private tour a few weeks ago. Very cool!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The McCoy car later became Shake Rattle and Roll? Need to double check.

Mike

9. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;I got to see that 64 in Carlisle at the 2004 Ford Nationals.Beautiful 64 Comet!! ROY.

10. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;I NEVER have to charge my batteries at the track! I run the big Moroso alternator pulley with a 100 Amp alternator and two batteries.I did a four day race with two night qualifying sessions,NO problems! ROY.

11. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Sorry I havent been on here for awhile, Its been a busy winter. Still no Engine back for the Sox And Martin Car, Sore subject.

Have been working on the Funny cars. Finally got two full sets of wheels, that hurt the pocket book.

Built racks to get ready for Body work

Been taking the tin work out of the John Petrie car out and having each piece duplicated one at a time.

Had Jerry Jardine Copy a set of Zoomies From his Original set that was on The K&L Comet and 68 Couger.

And Last Drove out to Cali. and met with Dyno Dons Family and bought Dynos Logghe Chassis for the Kenz and Leslie Car. Spent all Day with Dynos Daughter and Grand Daughter . That was really Cool. They are getting ready to sell Dyno"s House, That would be cool to Own.

I want to Thank Earl Wade for helping get The Logghe Chassis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres a New Photo that not a lot of People have seen.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  12. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Snowing like Crazy here today, I just want to do this!!!!

[​IMG]

13. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;it looks like you will be VERY busy for quite some time.Do you plan to do both Funny Cars? Cammer Powered?Is that chassis the same as the other one?The tin work looks GREAT!!!! ROY.

14. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Ken;
    Those flop tops being 427 Cammer's powered, are you having the same guy build the engines that did your Cammer that is in your Red 65 Comet? I had Bill Coon build my Cammer, he did it 3 Month, but he doesn't live that far from me. I also went to the same High School with him. I know some people had problems with him but I didn't. You have a lot of projects going on now. Merc. Comets, the Model Railroad and we had Child Protective Services Call a couple Fridays ago around 5:00 PM to take in my wife Grand Nice of 9 years old. Michigan don't like children living in a car with her mother with no roof over there head. Now Iam going to the Bus Stop every morning and afternoon. Taking third grade over again. Anyway Ken having two flip top Comets is great. -- AFX DAVE--

15. Merritt

Merritt

WOW! Great pix, you have been busey. Keep up the good work.
    Merritt

16. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Ken- we are all living vicariously through you, my friend!!! You are doing the drag racing scene a huge thing by saving these rare gems!!! Have you started a donation fund yet?? ""Friends of the Floppers""......

On another note, in my never-ending quest to run Roy down, I have taken on Sunday "what will I do to make the Comet faster" chores to move the car along. Here's todays accomplishments:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;you need about 150 more cubic inches to go along with those mods!!! I have a box of goodies for you from Mike,will deliver them at the MM! Have you gotten any notice from Famoso or NHRA on the MM?We[Eric,Mike and I] are leaving Wednesday about 10AM,you still coming up on Thursday?Engine and trans are in,new fuel pump is in,now all the other 'stuff' has to go in!!! ROY.

18. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I received a confirmation. It says "OPEN 50*". Not sure what that means.

We (Ernie and I) are heading up Weds. morning, leaving for an ETA about 1 p.m. So, when you guys get there, try to get in an area where we can all pit together. ERnie is bringing a load of firewood, and has gennie power, as well as ""libations""....

The boys from Japan will be stopping in, and man 'o man, they are looking forward to this occasion, especially meeting you guys!!! I have a small bag of gifts for them, but maybe if you have a ""small"" something from you, Hisayuki would cherish forever!!

I'll probably have a BBQ going one night, maybe we can throw it all together and have a ""communal"" dinner one night??

Hoffman is coming up as well, for a day.

PS. Can you bring up that carb too??? We totally forgot it on your back seat that one night!!!

19. Jerod Jardine

Jerod Jardine
    from wyoming

Found this in a bunch of my dads old tools.

Attached Files:

20. 65COMET

65COMET

Jerod;gave me 'goose bumps' seeing Earl's name on there! That needs to go in a special place!!Are you guys buried in Snow? ROY.

21. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;I have not received my confirmation yet!We should get to Famoso around 1PM,barring any issues.I will put the carb in the truck along with your box from Mike!I will find some kind of trinket for the Japan crew! ROY.

22. SOHC427

SOHC427

Man, I would love to add that to my collection of stuff.....
    Eric

23. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Ken
    Congrats on a fantastic aquisition. Since "Dyno" was credited with being the first flip-top FC, that may be the very first FC chassis Logghe ever built. What a piece of history. Congrats again.....Mike

24. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Roy
    I'll be watching the live feed from MM and rooting for you and Dale.....Mike

25. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

I always forget that folks can do that! A couple years back, literally right after I made a pass, I got a call from someone out of state, telling about the run I just made!!!! Heck, I was hardly back in the pits when he called!!!

26. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;have fun! I hope I have a better outing than at CHRR!! The Comet is close to being finished[AGAIN]!! Caravanning up with two buddies and their Falcons,then meeting up with Dale and Ernie,sounds like we will have our own Mega Ford Pit!!!! ROY.

27. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Dale
    Sorry I missed you at CHRR. I still look forward to meeting you some day.....Mike

28. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Jerod that is way cool. Look for a Paul Hatton to give you a call on a set of Zoomies. Hes restoring the Super Stang 69 mustang Funny.

29. Roy and Dale hope you have a great weekend of racing. I will be watching live on Bangshift. Had hope to make it to Bakersfield but we decided to go to the NHRA race in Vegas in April.
    Roger

30. Big Dad

Big Dad

Roy I hope to see you again in Bakersfield in 2014 , back to back years was not possible this year .. darn :(

But , I see this, and thought of you

[​IMG]