Register now to get rid of these ads!

Push or pull electric fuel pump?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratfins56, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Hi all,
    I have a li'l dillema here. My 56 Cadillac has a 350 with an Edelbrock 600 cfm carb. on it. The problem is I went through two electric fuel pumps in less than one year. I drove to VLV last year, which killed one pump, the second later in the summer.The car has the original gas tank with the fuel line coming out from the bottom left front corner of the tank. It is totally separated from the float.
    My question is: What is the best fuel pump suited for my set-up? I cannot put a pump below the tank as there is no place there except air. The car runs on 5-7 lb pressure.
    My fuel filter is installed before the pump, which I change regularly.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

i have more luck with parts store pumps on my drivers than i do with hollies---they push ,have enough pressure to run a strong pump gas 383 and they are compact...

3. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

I've always read/heard that it is easier for an electric pump to push the fuel rather than pull it, so locate it as close to the tank as possible. I believe that is why the new cars come with them inside the tank. I have also read/heard that having a filter before the pump is a good thing for pump longevity. You will have to find a place to mount the newest pump on the frame, close to the tank. You didn't mention, but where is the current location of the pump?

4. Unless it's an "in tank" pump an electric fuel pump needs to be gravity fed or it will burn out.

What's wrong with using a stock mechanical pump?

5. ^^^^^ Yeah really!

6. The pump is located above the front of the tank, behind the left side of the diff. I think it's a puller. Bought it at SoCal.

7. Because there is no room to put one. The way the frame is made, the pump side is way too close to have a pump, and cutting the frame is not an option.

8. Is your pump on a relay with correct size wire? On my coupe the fuel comes out of the tank from the top. I have the pump as low and as close as possible. Have only changed the pump once in ten years. It pumps close to a hundred PSI. This is a carter electric. First pump was an Airtex.

9. lht

lht

all electric pumps are pushers why not use a mech. pump

10. I'll look into it. I'm not sure, but I think the wire which joins the pump and the dash is 16ga. I think I should use 14?
    The first pump that blew on me was a Carter.

11. Moonequipt13

Moonequipt13

All electric fuel pumps should be installed as pushers. Electric fuel pumps use the fuel to cool the pump motor, and using them as a puller causes the pump to cavitate and overheat, burning out.

12. No room. Engine pump opening is too close to the frame.

13. fatkoop

fatkoop

I've got Carter pumps on 3 or 4 of my cars and have never had a problem with them in hundreds of thousands of miles. Be sure to put a good filter ahead of the pump and mount everything as close to the tank as possible. They're a little noisy but it's all good 'cuz then you really notice it if they quit.

14. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

15. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

16. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

Look for the facet gold flo pumps they push fuel, but also are designed to dry lift fuel, in other words they self prime with no damage, they also have a built in filter

17. 48 Indian Rag

48 Indian Rag
    from conn

Sounds like the problem is location you stated your pump was above your tank meaning every time it starts it starts dry, as stated above it needs to be gravity fed meaning it has to be lower than the tank. The one on my 48 is on the bottom of the inner fender well on the left front, not near the tank as suggested but still below the tank to get fuel to it all the time.

18. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

The facets are diaphram pumps, they work like a mechanical pump inside

19. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

This is why the one I suggested its designed to dry start

20. english rob

english rob

not all are pushers. morris minors had a pull pump where as minis had a push pump.

21. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

It has been preached for years to mount them as pushers. This is the best location but many of the old timers did not get the memo and they still worked.

22. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You did good by putting a filter before the pump, but you may have used the wrong filter. Not all filters are compatable with electric fuel pumps and may cause it to suck too hard, overworking it. There are filters made with less restriction and those are sold by places like Summit.

I have used Holley pumps for years and had good luck, but they are noisy as hell. We have recently started using the low pressure Carter pumps and they are much quieter and sometimes don't even need a pressure regulator to work ok.

Don

23. Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  24. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

25. lht

lht

hey maybe make a braket out of aluminum angle or channel or ? might give you more options were to bolt up pump

26. Here's a photo of a bracket I made that mounts to my frame rail...........

[​IMG]

27. superbowl01

superbowl01

is it possible to add a bracket in the area to mount it. so gravity works on your side for a quick prime. Had to construct a bracket and bolt it on to my frame and body for points of mounting. Made it so I could install a filter and pump together, easy maintenance. And a filter up front for the carb

28. Yeah thanks! I'm starting to think I may have to do this because there is absolutely NO place to put the pump below the tank. The tank is strapped under the trunk floor. The fuel outlet is on the bottom left front corner of the tank. And the diff is close by, and the exhaust system passes between the tank and the frame. Typical 1950s GM fuel system layout. I might try to bolt on a plate to the trunk floor above the tank, and make it go long enough to pass in front of the tank so I can bolt up the pump at the lower level of the tank.

29. You're probably right. I put one of those plastic transparent type filters with a paper element.