Register now to get rid of these ads!

'34 Ford tailgate

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deucedreamer, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

My dad has a '34 ford pickup mostly original. He wanted to remove the tailgate and asked me to do it as he's got a broken leg right now. I had a look at it and can't seem to figure out how to remove it. The whole hinge assembly is original with original rivets. It appears as though the thick rod which is the hinge rod just needs to be driven out. Am I correct in thinking this?? Any help would be appreciated cause I really don't want to wreck my dads tailgate.

2. Nitro Breath

Nitro Breath
    BANNED
    from Eugene, OR

Yes, drive out the long rod that goes through the hinges at the bottom of the tailgate. It should have some pins in the end that you remove first.

3. Your right just remove the rod.

4. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

That's great. Thanks guys. I looked at it and didn't see any pins on the end. One end looked like a river head, so I'll drive it that way. The other end looked like it had a slot in the middle and then it was a little mushroomed out on the sides. So I'll squeeze it together and then drive it out. Again, thanks for the help.