Register now to get rid of these ads!

Telephone Bed

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by unkamort, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Tennessean

Tennessean

My telephone truck bed is made by the Highway Trailer co of Edgerton, Wisconsin and it is a Type IU-76 bed dated 9-30-1955

2. Home Brew

Home Brew

our car club put one on a home built trailer frame. We had some new fenders broke for it and added a set of aluminum slots. We then installed a propane gas grill on the slide out shelf and a tank stand on the tongue. There is enough storage inside to pack away everything else we need. we use it at rod runs to cook on and make some nice meals. We also use it at the cruise night we sponsor to cook hot dogs which we give away to participants and spectators. The local Auto Zone gives us money to buy soda, buns, and condiments. The grocery store on the shopping center supplies the dogs. The cruse is held the first Saturday of the month from April thru October. If you are in the Hannibal, mo area sometime, drop in and say hello.

3. daddio211

daddio211

Show us some pics! Sounds like a cool trailer!

4. 39LOW

39LOW
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from MESA,AZ

This '47 ford could be had for $2700. It comes with a title too.

Attached Files:

5. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

[​IMG]
    Had this awhile back. The guy it was sold to liked telephones too, and said he was going to restore it back to a telephone truck.

6. daddio211

daddio211

Damn I love this thread! Something about being a telephone man for 22 years --and a car guy all my life-- I guess. My "telephone truck/daily driver" is completely OT, but lowered, wheels/tires, exhaust, etc. Nothing too radical, but at least I enjoy driving it rather than a stock pick up!

7. gump

gump

8. daddio211

daddio211

9. gump

gump

Sorry about that.

10. daddio211

daddio211

Don't be sorry, more photos for our files!

11. McDeuce

McDeuce

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I still have not made it back top the junkyard that has one but hope to soon.

13. CARtoons Magazine

CARtoons Magazine
    from Canada

14. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

15. Tennessean

Tennessean

I do not know how I missed this listing on eBay, but a 1957 Ford telephone truck sold for only $6,299.99 Someone got one hell of a deal, I believe that price was undervalued considering it was a complete truck and not all rusted up. Item number: 120875832984

Attached Files:

16. unkamort

unkamort

holy cow... complete with tools! Seems like a steal!

17. daddio211

daddio211

That is SOOO cool! Glad I didn't see it before I sold... I really don't need more telephone gear or another Ford Fridge! :D

18. Tennessean

Tennessean

As previously posted I was looking for a couple of parts for my telephone truck but so far I have not had any replies. so I went to a local Sheet metal shop and had them make me the upper porcelain/plastic tubes or Long drill bits holder. I had already had the lower one. Luckily someone I know who has the same bed gave me the exact measurements to have it built. I think they did a pretty good job considering they were going by photos and measurements. I am still looking for the large flat slider that holds the wire reel,the flat slider can be made but I need the attachment parts that are bolted to it,those would be too hard to try to duplicate. See previous photo that shows the parts I need.

Attached Files:

19. Tennessean

Tennessean

Hey everybody it's been a while. I located a telephone utility box on eBay if anybody is interested. The guy said that he took everything out of the inside of it so there is no drawers or sliders, what a bummer. Someone still may be able to use the box for parts. Item number 281056423871

Attached Files:

20. Tennessean

Tennessean

I am still needing this part to complete the inside of my utility box, if anybody has one or knows the whereabouts of one for sale please let me know. I finally took the time to sandblast the inside of my utility box and have painted it the same color as original.

Attached Files:

21. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I keep forgetting to bring the camera to the junkyard that has one.

22. Tennessean

Tennessean

Does your cell phone have a camera on it I know most of them have them nowadays ?. I appreciate it when you find the time. Thanks jeff

23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am probably the only one without a cell phone and I refuse to get one,to me a having a phone with me 24 hours is something I do not want to deal with.

24. flatcrazy

flatcrazy

I drove several of these trucks back in the late 60's and 70's. Not really crazy about them back then because they were just "work" trucks and a lot of them were getting kind of beat even then. Funny how a few decades go by and now I would really like to get my hands on one. That truck that was shown above that was on ebay with all the tools is like a time capsule to me. The hunt begins.

25. manyolcars

manyolcars

The empty bed was so heavy that it made the trucks sag in the back.

26. flatcrazy

flatcrazy

Made me laugh! Like you said they were overloaded before you ever put anything in them. Still would like to find one sitting some where.

27. manyolcars

manyolcars

Yeah, probably a good idea to beef up the rear suspension. Cheap bastards, no radio, no heater

28. UniqueCollector

UniqueCollector

Here is a different kind of telephone bed

Attached Files:

29. daddio211

daddio211

I have a '60 F250 factory 4WD that was originally a Bell System truck. It's for sale.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

30. ClickClickBoom

ClickClickBoom

I've got one of these for sale,and posted an add in the classifieds.

hope this is allowed here, saw links to other beds for sale. just trying to get it to someone who'd appreciate it.

[​IMG]