Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 Ford Windshield Frame (Part 2)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Sorta part 2,,

I got real side tracked with the windshield glass,,it took Dennis a few days longer that he originally said.

During that time I fractured my ankle so I haven't been too concerned about much of anything except visiting with the orthopedic clinic,watching TV and hanging out on the HAMB.

Anyway,,,Brenda picked up the Windshield frame and I have the rubber
    and I'm thinking I can do this sitting at the work bench in the shop.

Is there any tricks to making it easier to install the windshield rubber in the groove on a 32 windshield frame? :confused: HRP

2. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Windex is your friend.

3. Lube, liquid soap

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've used dish soap and a plastic spatula on several occasions.

5. Lots of swearing.

6. In addition to the lubricants noted (I like the soap one myself because it doesn't attack the rubber and is fairly easy to clean up), I have had good success with a craft tool called a "folding bone" (available in better craft stores and of course online). It's original intent is to crease a paper fold crisply, but with both the pointy end and the rounded end it's pretty versatile for tucking weather strip in channels. It has a nice eased edge with a thin taper. Once you get started you get in a rhythm of align the seal edge with the channel and then tuck, align, tuck, repeat till done, being careful to not stretch too much.

Attached Files:

7. basicbob

basicbob

Hi, first thing is to use masking tape to cover the chrome from scratching.

Easiest method is to slice rubber into a small vee, then spray both rubber & frame with WD-40. Have helper pull rubber as you slide into grove, pull past opening until enough rubber can be pulled back to ends.

If this is a roadster frame overlap ends before cutting matching ends then use super glue together.

Goodluck, Bob

8. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Glad to hear you got the windshield back :) :)

I like to use Ivory liquid dish soap ... sure is slick and slimmy
    and washes up real easy.

:eek:

9. Tony

Tony

I just did my 32 windshield seal.
    Mine actually went in the groove pretty easy. For the area's that did not, i just used dish soap as was mentioned.
    I also used a DULL 1" putty knife to help tuck it in. I don't have the fancy tool to do it the right way :D

Tony

10. I heard that KY makes a good lubricant.

11. Don,,your a sick puppy! :D HRP

12. We used Simple green in the factory. The folding bone in the factory was a pookey stick. Was use to touch up windshield sealer

13. alchemy

alchemy

A good rubber is the key. I tried a cheapy from Vintique once, and it was hard and non-pliable, and cracked at the joints.

Then I got a nice one from Carpenter and it went in like butter. Start one edge into the joint, then squeeze the other edge in with a bondo spreader or rounded putty knife.

14. That's how it is when I work on anything!

15. KY does work well as it doesn't attack rubber like some other lubricants (vaseline). I used it on a rear screen and it went very smoothly.

From experience though be careful not to combine the shopping trip with chocolates, wine, lube and your brother. You get some funny looks!