Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many of you have people claim THEY built it when YOU did?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carlisle1926, Feb 22, 2013.

1. elba

elba

I gotta laugh. I do all of my own work but sometimes I am afraid to take credit because my work is only about a c+ in quality. But at least I try.And have fun.

2. Its ok I recovered

3. adam401

adam401

Once someone has paid me for the car or paid me for the work done to their car they can say whatever the hell they want. Im in it for the money. They can have the credit which is made up bullshit anyway. Also I don't think half these stories are true.;)

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am pleased to hear that.:D

5. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

I am with you ,, maybe i am missing something or my priorities are skewed, If i get paid my price on a vehicle or work, they can tell them whatever they want, i am in for the $$$$$$ the glory doesn't pay for anything

6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Over the decades i've found that the bullshitters at car shows generally fall into 3 groups;

1) As mentioned, the guy who buys a finished car, then tells everyone he built it.

2) The gold chainer who had his car built, then goes on to brag about how he has $500,000 invested in it (and it's worth $70,000) as if that is suposed to impress me. "That's a $100,000 engine you're looking at buddy". "That's a 10,000 stereo system you're listening to"...

3) Just the opposite of #2-The "low ball" home builder. He's built most of the car himself and done a nice job, but will never come clean with how much he paid for the car or the parts. And they'll straight faced tell you as if you had no ideea what the car/parts typically would cost.
    "We pulled the car out of a barn for $100. Got the blown Hemi off Craigslist for $500. I 'found' the Halibrands and quick change in my garage so they were 'free'.. Got less than 5 grand in the whole car".
    Ya right, then you woke up.

7. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

There are safety issues other than the obvious morality issues with saying you did something you didn't. If someone steels someones credit for a job, there are some folks out there less even keeled than myself that might hand out a good old fashioned country ass whoopin or a knife to the gut for that kind of stuff. If someone is saying they performed work that I did, chances are someone will be calling that jerk looking to have more work done rather than calling on me. Now that person just put himself between a hungry dog and his piece of meat. That is a bad place to stand. Whoever said that thievery of someone's ideas is a fine form of flattery is probably the kid in school that got used to getting his ass beat by bullies everyday. Its about being a decent man and not lying and saying you built something you didn't. Basic life lesson kind of stuff here.

8. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

So can I take all of the credit for the things you have done seeing as how the credit is made up bullshit anyway? And since credit really doesn't mean much, I'll give you credit for all of the bad things that I have done in exchange. :)
    Jason Barnett

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If somebody else takes credit for my work, it takes potential future business away from me.

Stolen valor. I EARNED that medal.

10. 65ssnova

65ssnova
    from Tulsa OK

GOT TROLL?:rolleyes:

11. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Putting it that way, i very well see your point about getting work taken from you,I was not looking at it in that sense.

12. ninosdad

ninosdad

My name and date are painted on the inside of the dash on a dozen or so cars, everyone who helped gets to wreck their back to sign if we did not get the dash out. The tat's never lie

13. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

couple years ago i built a birdhouse and hung it in a tree. last year i was walking under it and heard two robins talking, one was telling the other how he built it with his own two wings. Fuckin Bastard!!

14. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

I don't do this for fun either, it's all about feeding the family, but when someone else is claiming your work, that takes food off the table. Take lots of pics, sign your work in a hidden place, and call them out when they try to lie!!!

15. I "saved" a 35 Ford roadster once...it then went for prep and paint.
    I saw the car at the painters display, where the guy actually approached me and snickered.."To bad you'll never get any credit for all that metal work!"
    There is a lot of "It's all about me" in hot rodding..it seems...

16. BLAKE

BLAKE

This raises a good question... how to properly give/take credit for the work that was done?

I'll offer my '29 coupe as an example. Rodney Belt and I chopped it in my garage since Rodney is a solid body and paint man and I needed some experienced guidance. By the end of that Saturday, we had the cuts done and the roof tacked back down... then I spent evenings over the next two weeks doing all the pillar alignment, finish welding, windshield and windows, garnish moldings, body work and re-spraying the DP90.

While I never woulda attempted it on my own without Rodney being there, and I always give Rodney credit (verbal and in print), would I really be lying if, when someone asked if I did the chop myself, I simply answered 'YES'? Would I be in danger of looking like a jerk in this post if I neglected to mention Rodney's name? :D

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You would not be in danger of looking like a jerk if you did that.

You actually would be a jerk if you did that.

Yo could say: "I had good help."

18. titus

titus

Thats when you say, "well yes, me and a buddy roughed it in and then i did all the finish work"

This comes up all the time with buddy of mine, hes built some pretty cool hot rods but they always seem to be built by someone else! after he sells them they show up in a magazine and the article says how "they finished it" or what ever, Hes just not a person that cares about going out and trying to get it in a magazine or getting attention withe the car. He built a really bitchen 32 chevy that ended up on the cover or a mag not too long after he sold it with just a few minor changes, the article was very scewed, i started a similar post as the OP has here, and we got an apology from the new owner saying that he didnt right the article and sorry the way it came out, it was pretty cool but still too late. He also built a neat 32 ford 5 window, a year or so after he sold it it ended up in Alan Mayes book "Old School Hot Rods" with the new owner taking credit for the build as usual! he says it bothers him and would just like to get credit once in a while, he isnt gonna stop what hes doing but it feels nice to get the recognition he deserves.

my 2 cents!

19. Fenders

Fenders

And on the other hand:
    Attorney: Now this car, where the tie-rod snapped, and caused the death of the little girl in the crosswalk, you built that car, right?
    Owner: Um, no, it was built by flybynightrods in Oshkosh.
    Attorney: Didn't you hear the seven witnesses who heard you say at the crashnburn rod show that you built it all yourself?
    Owner: Yah, but I didn't.
    Attorney: So you were lying then?
    Owner: Yes.
    Attorney: Or are you lying now?
    Owner: Ummmmm.

20. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

Sold my car and saw a photo in the newspaper for a carshow add the next week listing the new owner in the caption. The picture was from my facebook page though, not a new picture. Not a big deal though, just being a former reporter it bugs me when correct sources aren't listed.

I guess you heard about the Los Cochinos t-shirt design being copied by some company in California?

21. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

who really care s ? the liars word is no good , the builders really knows who built it , and he was paid for a service and his tallent , and most likely if said lying D/B is asked to build something it will turn out like ^%%$$ so most likely the guy who built the nice car will be hired to fix the %#$# ups anyhow ,

22. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

I heard about someone copying their T-shirt design. Pretty crummy.

23. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

You are partially correct. But of course no one knows how to find me because the lying dirt bag isn't telling who actually did the work. My work is all over the country and the chances of someone figuring out that I did it once my signature has been wiped away is pretty slim.

24. 32 for me

32 for me
    from SO. CAL.

Don,
    Didn't some guy claim he built your Bitch'n roadster?

25. rd4pin

rd4pin
    from louisiana

When I build a car, nobody wants to claim it, so I don't have to worry.