Register now to get rid of these ads!

Curved Wrench What Is It For?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olderone, Feb 24, 2013.

1. olderone

olderone

While Going Through My Late Dads Tools I Came Across This wrench. Dad And I were Both Mechanic's. I've Been A Mechanic's For 55 Years And Never Have Seen One Of These Before, Can Any One Tell Me What It Was Used For And On What Engines. It Is a Blue-Point 3/4" Box End Wrench And 1/2" Drive The Tool Number Is "S-9513-C" USA 6.

Attached Files:

2. If it were a 9/16 insread if 3/4 I'd say some type of distributor wrench for loosening the hold-down

3. From the pic I thought at first it was a distributor wrench, but the 3/4" size eliminates that possibility. That's a strange one for sure. I'd be interested to know too. It probably has a very specific application.

4. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

I believe it is an "Obsticle wrench" or cylinder head wrench 1954 ish

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013

5. fury9

fury9

Post it over on Garage Journal somebody over there knows for sure

6. henry29

henry29

7. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

8. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Good link henry29, that was fun.

9. billcove

billcove
    from mass

10. fury9

fury9

Fig. 268. Blue Point S-9513A 1/2-Drive 3/4 Wide-Sweep Torque Adapter, with Inset for Marking Detail, 1939.
    Fig. 268 at the left shows our earliest example, a 1/2-drive Blue Point S-9513A 3/4 wide-sweep torque adapter, marked "Made in U.S.A." with a date code for 1939.
    The adapter has an offset of 2.5 inches and an overall length of 6.5 inches. The finish is chrome plating.
    Note that the "A" suffix to the model number is stamped below the standard marking, suggesting that it may have been added later.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Torque wrench adapter or cylinder head bolt depending on where you read it. As he said, to be able to go around an obstacle without having to remove said obstacle to get at the bolt (s) you need to torque. Probably damned nice for a guy who worked flat rate and worked on the engines that needed it.

12. olderone

olderone

Hay Thank You And Now I Know.And I Have Worked On A lot Of The Older Chevy's 216 235 & 261 And Never Knew About The Tool.

13. fury9

fury9

Did flat rate rate exist in the 40s ? Thank god I can fix my own shit

14. ok so im lookin at the wrench and pictures of 216's...i dont get it. can someone explain how/why the wrench is needed? why cany you use a regular wrench? i have never worked on one of these engines so i am curious.

15. That wrench is supposed to be straight.
    Your dad was a VERY strong man!:D

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe to be able to re-torque heads without having to remove rocker arms or rocker shafts?

17. Jimm56

Jimm56

That's an offset socket used for torquing the bolts on the clamping sleeve of a CFR-48 Knock engine. Sold by Waukesha engines as an accessory tool for overhauling the knock test engines. Used one for 35 years. http://www.corelab.com/refinery/octane-analysis

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  18. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Aircraft/motorcycle cylinder wrench would be my guess

19. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

20. gatz

gatz

21. killbilly

killbilly

Thanks for posting that,Henry really interesting, I have some specialty Snap-on stuff that were used on older(now) Cummins N855 engines haven't used them in years..

22. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Mine is similar but is 13/16" and has only a 1" offset and 5 3/8" Heigth.

It is a Snap-on S8684 USA 8

I think I bought it in about 1959 and it's main use was retorquing head bolts on Triumph TR 3's which were pulled to 110 ft.lbs. as I recall. I think that's why my right shoulder is the way it is now.

It is partially modified at the 12 point end to clear under something so it was not a special tool for the application, but an available crowfoot that had universal use.

23. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I worked for Snap-on for 22 years, first as an engineer, then in sales. As the link shows, this is a specialty tool for a specific application.

Here is what you can tell from the part number:
    S = Special
    9513 = sequential number, 95 may have significance for type (maybe cylinder head)
    A = second generation (first in a series would have no suffix letter)

The OPs tool has a 'C' suffix meaning it was the 4th revision. (Today it would be a Gen4) Boy, I hate that!

The funny thing about this type tool is that it was orginally designed for a particular job, but over time other uses were found for it. The catalog descriptions were rarely updated and the life of the tool was determined by sales. The guy that was supposed to keep the descriptions up to date when I was there, wouldn't know a 216 chevy from a flathead Cadillac.

I'm pretty sure that one had application on Detroit Diesels, too.

As was pointed out earlier, this is a torque adaptor used to torque or retorque around obstructions.

24. Draglink driver and half moon combo box wrench .... now I know what they are called ..... bitchen site.

25. Awesome site. I bookmarked it for future reading. Thanks!

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

What's always hilarious in these threads is how the replies guessing what it is always keep coming in even after a positive ID has been provided. :D

27. I have that wrench. I dont remember if it was for a detroit or a cummins diesel engine think it was cummins! I believe i bought it to remove a starter bolt

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  28. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The flathead Ford equivalent, which would look about the same but have 11/16 size, made life easier torquing the head nuts lurking under the oil filter cannister and also helped with the center nut on Model A and B heads...
    It was popular enough that many suppliers, including Snap-on and KR Wilson, mad versions.

29. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Maybe they are old and don't type fast..But you did get a laugh..

30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I type pretty slow myself. :)