Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1930 AV8 coupe build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by olskool34, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Great lookin little coupe,gonna be a sweet ride when it gets done thats for sure!

2. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

Very nice seeing your project and progress is motivating e to start my av8 build

3. olskool34

olskool34

I figured somebody on here had to be watching it!

4. olskool34

olskool34

I thought about that but I think that will be too much recess, I am going only recess it about a 1/2 inch in.

5. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

this thing is going to be AWESOME!! i am loving the seat and dash.

6. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

Do you have any pics or info on how you had to bend the pedals to make them fit? It looks like I'll be doing the same to make them clear the cylinder head on my flathead powered Av 8

7. olskool34

olskool34

I was trying to hide the seat until later but you got me. I have a brand new lebaron bonney interior kit for this car which I think will look really great. I got it for next to nothing and I was super excited about it. I will post up some photos of the pedals, I am just having some camera issues.

8. Then you could just slide it back. Im just not a fan of flat fire walls on 30/31s

9. olskool34

olskool34

I am not either, I have a plan in the works that will make it look like a stocker, I just hope it turns out as good as I think. As far as the original firewall goes, I have hacked it up too much now to be saved. Good for patches though. Thanks for all the comments guys, It is really keeping me focused on the car. I really appreciate it!

10. austinhunt

austinhunt

11. olskool34

olskool34

Today was a nice warm 15 degrees so what better thing to do than take out the firewall. I actually couldn't feel my hands when I was done. I usually work in the garage but my 29 is in there and I didn't feel like moving everything around. I picked up my steel so maybe tomorrow I will start on the new firewall. Came out easier than I thought it would. First pic is just a pic I took before I started.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. austinhunt

austinhunt

Story if my life...

13. Looking forward to see what you do on the firewall

14. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

One of the best threads for a long time. Beautiful job of shaving on the rear spring mounts. Original plan was to be bolt on only but i thought they looked a little weak in the area between the bolts and the perch so laid a bead along the houseing flange. Easily cut off if needed to reuse the hangers. Cris welded his also. This thread should be an inspiration for any guys thinking they can't build a car because the only have a onecar garage to work in.

15. olskool34

olskool34

Yeah I think they have to be welded. With how much spring presssure the rear spring has, I would not trust just bolting them on. Thanks for the compliments guys. Got the firewall started. Hopefully by tomorrow I can show you what I did.

16. Great build, I'm really enjoying the vision you have for your coupe! I can't wait to see how the firewall comes out!

17. olskool34

olskool34

Worked on the firewall today and I gotta say I am super happy with how it turned out. I tacked the original firewall to some heavy angle iron to hold the shape. I marked 1 inch up and cut around the permeter but left the feet on it. I then took some 16 gauge and used the part I cut off as a trim template. I removed the ribs from the original and put them in the new one to give it more of an original look. I didn't really loose any foot room either. I now have tons of room at the back of the engine and won't have to angle the breather at the back. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Wardog

Wardog

I think it would of been alot easier to make a flat fire wall, But easy is not why we build these things ourselves. Now you have a very good looking fire wall, with the clearance you need and some added strength to it. Well done.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

19. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The firewall looks good, nice idea on using the original beading.

20. olskool34

olskool34

I know it would have been easier to make it plain and flat but I think it wouldn't have looked right with the style of the build. Once the firewall tags and radiator support bracekts are added, I think it will fool some people. It isn't finished yet as evidence from the tack welds but I wanted to see what it looked like and if it fit like the original one did. Fits perfect and only cost me $18.00 for the steel and 6 hours of my time.

21. jeff020571

jeff020571
    from france

Good job, nice firewall.
    I like the idea, maybe i will do the same with mine.
    Could you remember me what is the engine/trans you will run ?

22. sewman

sewman
    from Toledo,Oh

flatty 59A & 39 trans

23. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

nice work on the fire wall...much better than flat metal..

24. grim1930

grim1930
    from Norfolk UK

awesome build I am following this one closely as I am in the process of a similar build with a 30 pickup, being held up at the minute trying to find the model a rear spring hangers for my 40 axle, not easy to come by in the UK :mad:
    Keep up the good work

25. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

Awesome. Sometimes I wish my old man was into cars! Great build. Cool fab work. All makes for a sweet hot rod! Good luck with it.

26. VERNOR-GREEN GARAGE

VERNOR-GREEN GARAGE
    from Michigan

Firewall looks great ! i like the factory ribs! great idea

27. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Nice job on the firewall. my original has cracks at the radiator support brackets, it may help if you reinforce it there, so you don't end up with cracks just my .02 C:rolleyes:

28. austinhunt

austinhunt

I'm taking notes. This is how I would build mine if I could start over!

29. olskool34

olskool34

Finished up the firewall today, wow 10 hours of my time for something I could have avoided by mounting the engine a little more forward. Oh well, I like how it turned out. I also moved the toe boards in (toward the seat) about 3/4 of an inch so that I can run a stock style wood floor without hitting the engine/trans. I sat in after I was done and I honestly cannot notice any foot room that was lost. I think this week I will be buying the grill shell for it. Going to be running a filled 32 shell with a stock style insert.